Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Battery Access Mod

  1. #1
    Registered User GKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    147

    Battery Access Mod

    Couldn't bear the thought of dealing with the buried battery terminals of my fully enclosed R1150RT. Made each of the short extender cables from 3 strands of 12 gauge rubber covered stranded wire. Crimped and soldered ends. No they won't short. Positive has as much or more insulation as any original wire on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Registered User NavyDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Posts
    236
    Haven't done that with my 04RT, but I did do it with a Honda Valkyrie Interstate I had. Worked fine, never had a problem. Used good quaility components and soldered all the connections. Looks good.

  3. #3
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Good solution. For the benefit of others that come along:

    The Authority RT's have terminal post extensions which can be used on a civilian RT. One post attaches to the positive terminal, with a rubber-capped, jumper cable-friendly knob reaching out from the rear of the tank into the space over the air box, and a negative jumper cable-friendly knob which bolts to the rear of the left cylinder head. Part numbers are available in the MaxBMW parts fiche.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  4. #4
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,600
    It makes lots more sense to do this starting at the starter motor end of the positive battery cable.

    No need for an extension to the battery negative, as any old frame bolt will do.

    For the R1100S ...

    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/2428575-post19.html

    For other models, I'd look to later versions for a similar solution

    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  5. #5
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Kent's option works for R11xxS/R/RS/GS, but not the RT, which has the starter motor covered by the bike's tupperware -- so much so that BMW does not bother with a cosmetic cover over the starter motor.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  6. #6
    Registered User GKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It makes lots more sense to do this starting at the starter motor end of the positive battery cable.


    Maybe for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Just north of Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Good solution. For the benefit of others that come along:

    The Authority RT's have terminal post extensions which can be used on a civilian RT. One post attaches to the positive terminal, with a rubber-capped, jumper cable-friendly knob reaching out from the rear of the tank into the space over the air box, and a negative jumper cable-friendly knob which bolts to the rear of the left cylinder head. Part numbers are available in the MaxBMW parts fiche.
    What year RTPs came with "terminal post extensions"? Was it stock, or is it an after-market add-on?

    My RTP sure as heck doesn't have "terminal post extensions", as my RTP requires a jumper cable attached to a screwdriver to reach in and touch the positive battery terminal.

    I've just looked at the parts fiche on Max's website, and I can't find RTP battery terminal post extensions. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...5&rnd=08102012

    But then again, why jump start when you can roll-start? Just find a steep enough/long enough hill...
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Diamondhead, MS
    Posts
    1,054
    Roll starts don't work too good here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Its flat as a fritter. The only "hills" are the bridges over the bays; and its a long push to get up the hill, before you can ride down.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

  9. #9
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    What year RTPs came with "terminal post extensions"? Was it stock, or is it an after-market add-on?

    My RTP sure as heck doesn't have "terminal post extensions", as my RTP requires a jumper cable attached to a screwdriver to reach in and touch the positive battery terminal.

    I've just looked at the parts fiche on Max's website, and I can't find RTP battery terminal post extensions. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...5&rnd=08102012

    But then again, why jump start when you can roll-start? Just find a steep enough/long enough hill...
    They were BMW parts -- it may be a department-by department thing -- my '04 ex-CHP R1150RT-P has them.

    The positive terminal extension is shown on the Max R1150RT fiche, battery section, parts 9-12.

    As soon as I find the negative bobbin for the left head, I'll post it.


    Edit: The negative bobbin is the "Earth pin", with M6x10 threads, parts 4-6 in the R1150RT starter section. It screws into one of the holes on the rear side of the head next to the intake (it may be one of the cam cover bolts; not near my RT to confirm this). I wouldn't bother with the rubber cap (6), as it is a ground point.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  10. #10
    Registered User GKman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    147
    Seems like if I prepare for the worst it never happens. I thought the worst case scenario would be a DOA battery outside of East Elephantsbreath Utah with a replacement somewhere beyond buzzards getcha' range. With what I have now I could get any kind of battery from anybody and a couple of universal cables, bungee it down on the luggage rack and get back to civilization needing nothing more than a pair of pliers.

    On a more likely case, I can get a battery charger or jumper cables on by just keying the seat off.

  11. #11
    Registered User mpmarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Camas Valley Oregon
    Posts
    1,040
    Ah memories.... sweet memories. Back in the early ninetys wife and I toured Mesa Verde on our Suzuki GK1100 and enroute lost the alternator, not uncommon on old Suzukis. Bought cheap 2amp battery charger and each night pulled the battery and charged it in the motel room. Made it for the few days needed to get parts in at local Suzuki dealer and rode it there and did the repair myself.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

  12. #12
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    Couldn't bear the thought of dealing with the buried battery terminals of my fully enclosed R1150RT. Made each of the short extender cables from 3 strands of 12 gauge rubber covered stranded wire.
    Did you make this mod for boosting or charging purposes?

    In any case I would still use some spiral wrap insulation around the positive cable as shown in the following pic...



    For those with a starter cover, I installed a Battery Boosting Lug on my 2003 after I bought a 2004 and noticed it on them.

    The step-by-step install including how to locate the hole on the cover is shown in the link above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •