Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Let's see your 2010+ RT seat and tell me why you love it

  1. #16
    Registered User zenduddhist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    BTW everybody, I have a bead rider seat cover and a "Freedon Air" air cushion seat cover (with a V in the front) dual bladders etc. Both are ok but I'm looking for more. I don't mind the extra $$ for custom seats. In my way of thinking, the beaded seat cover or the air cushion are only going to be as good as the seat they're mounted on and the stock RT seat is a piece of $hit as far as I'm concerned.

    I NEVER wear cotton undergarmets and have plenty of anti monkey butt powder.

    I've been searching around on the custom seat makers sites and I'm surprised that none have OEM plug ups for the heated seat feature . For $500-700 bucks, I expect more. They all seem to have their own version of heated seat options but not the plug and go from the handlebar switch... kind of a kick in the crotch if you ask me.
    When you have Russell build you a seat, you send them your original seat and they build it off of yours. If your original BMW seats were heated, they use the original elements, plugs, etc.

    By the way, I have the seat from my 2011 R1200RT currently at Russell getting built.
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

  2. #17
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
    When you have Russell build you a seat, you send them your original seat and they build it off of yours. If your original BMW seats were heated, they use the original elements, plugs, etc.

    By the way, I have the seat from my 2011 R1200RT currently at Russell getting built.
    OOOOOH ! can't hardly wait to hear from you when you get it. Yes mine came with heated seats so that's good to know. Of course, of all the things I use on my RT, the heated seat see's little use.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  3. #18
    Registered User zenduddhist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    147
    FWIW, this will be my second Russell. I have one on my Goldwing also...
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

  4. #19
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    785

    Kontour Seat for me

    Best investment in a seat ever !





    Full discussion at this thread:

    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=kontour+seat
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  5. #20
    Mike LngRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moore, Ok
    Posts
    208

    2012 r1200rt

    I bought a new RT back in April and have been researching seats as well. Last week, I had a ride in appointment at Russell and to say I'm happy with the result is a huge understatement. I rode the bike home from Shasta Lake, CA to Moore, OK and the seat is absolutely perfect. I spent 15 hours in it yesterday and if I could have gotten gas, using the bathroom, and ate without getting off, I would have . Great service, great seat, you won't be disappointed and if you are, they will make it right or refund you're money.

    Here you go:
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

  6. #21
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Best investment in a seat ever !





    Full discussion at this thread:

    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=kontour+seat
    Thanks, I will read the thread on the LT site. I'm familiar with Kontour. It is wallet flattening expensive but it's shape doesn't look any different than the OEM.
    Last edited by Brian-NC; 09-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  7. #22
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    I bought a new RT back in April and have been researching seats as well. Last week, I had a ride in appointment at Russell and to say I'm happy with the result is a huge understatement. I rode the bike home from Shasta Lake, CA to Moore, OK and the seat is absolutely perfect. I spent 15 hours in it yesterday and if I could have gotten gas, using the bathroom, and ate without getting off, I would have . Great service, great seat, you won't be disappointed and if you are, they will make it right or refund you're money.

    Here you go:
    The Russell is on my short list. BTW, that is a damn fine looking seat! Did you get leather or is that the vinyl?

    I've also thought of the ride in option but it would be a really long ride to California on the stock seat even with the beaded cover or the Freedom Air...
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  8. #23
    Mike LngRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moore, Ok
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    The Russell is on my short list. BTW, that is a damn fine looking seat! Did you get leather or is that the vinyl?

    I've also thought of the ride in option but it would be a really long ride to California on the stock seat even with the beaded cover or the Freedom Air...
    It's leather with their rectangle pattern. I put 18k on a stock seat before I bought it. I used an Airhawk for long trips. I'd loan the Airhawk to you if you decide to go.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    621
    Kontour Seat for me

    Best investment in a seat ever !


    That wouldn't work for me since it looks like the exact shape of the original seat. It's those edges that got me chafed in the upper legs. YMMV.

  10. #25
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    It's leather with their rectangle pattern. I put 18k on a stock seat before I bought it. I used an Airhawk for long trips. I'd loan the Airhawk to you if you decide to go.
    Hi Mike, thanks for offering your Airhawk! I have a very similar product the "Freedom Air" www.longerride.com It's ok but I find myself wanting more.

    I am planning on a retirement ride out to New Mexico in September of 2013. My wife is going to fly out and meet me in Santa Fe. We're planning on riding all of the good rides found on MadMaps in NM then head north into Colorado via hwy 550 which is well known in Colorado as the "Million Dollar Hwy".

    I might ride out real early and right on over to Russell in California and get us a proper dual saddle. I'll have all the time in the world...
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  11. #26
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Kontour Seat for me

    Best investment in a seat ever !


    That wouldn't work for me since it looks like the exact shape of the original seat. It's those edges that got me chafed in the upper legs. YMMV.
    Well, two things:

    The seat material is much, much superior to anything OEM and most every other leather seat I have ever used.

    If you have a "wide" rear end, they make a "magnum" seat with wings on it that solves that problem too.

    They are pricey, but given we are riding around on $20,000 plus bikes...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  12. #27
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Well, two things:

    The seat material is much, much superior to anything OEM and most every other leather seat I have ever used.

    If you have a "wide" rear end, they make a "magnum" seat with wings on it that solves that problem too.

    They are pricey, but given we are riding around on $20,000 plus bikes...
    I'm sure the seat material is like nothing else on the planet but if it's covering the same shape of seat, how will it be more comfortable?

    To me, the pain I'm experiencing is because of lack of support. I'm not a big guy, bout 5'10"ish 189 lbs. How bout you? Can you tell me or us why you love it other than the great material?
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  13. #28
    Mike LngRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moore, Ok
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    Hi Mike, thanks for offering your Airhawk! I have a very similar product the "Freedom Air" www.longerride.com It's ok but I find myself wanting more.

    I am planning on a retirement ride out to New Mexico in September of 2013. My wife is going to fly out and meet me in Santa Fe. We're planning on riding all of the good rides found on MadMaps in NM then head north into Colorado via hwy 550 which is well known in Colorado as the "Million Dollar Hwy".

    I might ride out real early and right on over to Russell in California and get us a proper dual saddle. I'll have all the time in the world...
    I'm in OKC, OK, let me know when you come thru.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

  14. #29
    Registered User Brian-NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    I'm in OKC, OK, let me know when you come thru.
    Ok Mike, I might stop by since I'm gonna go through Texas and over into NM. I'll be relatively close.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

  15. #30
    Ken ken e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    126

    vote for Kontour

    Sent my seat (&$$) to Mr. Miller at Kontour Seat and that first 500 mile day 2-up proved its worth, I'd do it again, and highly recommend it to everyone. The wife also approves also after the 10 day, 2700 mile vacation trip.

    Foam is top notch providing good cushion and no pressure points. The butt is no longer an issue on long rides.

    Bike sits outside all day at the work parking lot and is NOT hot when I saddle up.

    Fabric riding suit on fabric cover has lower coefficient of friction, so tank knee pads helped greatly. Way back when, years ago bikes use to have knee pads.....

    Original height and shape works good for me playing in the twisties and combat commuting, can set up easy for the turns.

    Have a used rear OEM seat for sale...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •