Thread: Heated Gear

Heated Gear

Has anyone installed the Gerbing's or Baryl 3Br 12V Panel Mount Port on their bike?

I have an R1200RT and this looks like somewhat more elegant solution than my present installation where the socket is left dangling from under the seat and scraping on the tupperware.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

2007 BMW R1200RT

You can have the dealer install the police socket at the fairing instead of the regular one. This goes directly to the battery and bypasses the CANBUS. Passenger can continue to use the rear socket.

2012 r1200rt

I am using the Gerbing's entire length of wiring directly from the battery. It is fed up from the battery in front of the front seat and along the left side of the seat and side panel. When not in use, I tuck the wiring alongside the bottom of the front seat and the side panel, then in between front and rear seats with just the plastic loop of the plug slightly exposed between the seats. When needed I can just give the loop a little tug to pull out the plug and the entire length of wiring.
    The loop lies right in the middle of the front and rear seats like it belongs there.
    Seems like there is plenty of clearance without the wiring chafing on itself, the panel or the seats.

Heated Gear

I have always used the Gerbing's connector wired directly to the battery and with the connector end sticking out from under the seat. That way always worked fine, but I was looking for a nicer solution. Today I installed Gerbing's flush mount connector and am really happy with the results. I drilled a 5/16" hole thru the left side panel below the passenger seat on my R1200RT. The connector socket is flush with the side panel and has a molded rubber cap on a tether to keep it from getting lost. Took about 1/2 hour to do the install. Much more elegant than the dangling connector,IMOP.

Sorry 'bout the picture size
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No matter where you go, there you are.

2007 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by redcat43 View Post
    {snip}...Today I installed Gerbing's flush mount connector and am really happy with the results...{snip}
    Very nice! This appears to be my next farkle...(and I thought I was done!)
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i