Thread: R90/6 turn signals

R90/6 turn signals

Are there two wires (a positive and a ground) running to the front turn signals? If not how does the turn signal ground? I see only only one wire. Please advise. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbryson View Post
    Are there two wires (a positive and a ground) running to the front turn signals? If not how does the turn signal ground? I see only only one wire. Please advise. Thanks
    My guess it's grounding off the frame.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

James.A
    If your /6 is a 1974 model year, It would have come with aluminum turn signal pods and would ground to the frame thru the stems. If you have plastic pods, you will need to run wires along side the signal wires to find a ground connection.

I have the metal turn signal brackets so the light grounds internally to the bracket, but exactly where? Does the bracket contact the side of the light bulb to ground?

I believe the early ones were one wire

The early /5 aluminum turn signal housings were one wire and relied on metal on metal contact through the housing, stalk and then the triple tree/fork tube for a good ground. I have several of the newer '72-'73 aluminum ones that have a ground and power wire(2 wire) and my '70 has single wire turn signals.

The repops are two wire one because the internal parts are plastic and the housing are almost plastic with a shine.

If you have aluminum turn signal housings with one wire it would not be a difficult job to add a ground wire to the things if you don't mind pulling everything apart to do it. If its single wire and they were why fix it?

James.A
    I have the metal turn signal brackets so the light grounds internally to the bracket, but exactly where? Does the bracket contact the side of the light bulb to ground?
    If you have the plastic pods (as opposed to aluminum pods circa 1970-'74), try putting a ground wire from the ground ring cannister of the bulb socket to one of the screws that tighten down the metal half clamp in the plastic pod on to the metal stem . That should create a path to ground thru the stem to the bottom triple tree.

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    If you have the plastic pods (as opposed to aluminum pods circa 1970-'74), try putting a ground wire from the ground ring cannister of the bulb socket to one of the screws that tighten down the metal half clamp in the plastic pod on to the metal stem . That should create a path to ground thru the stem to the bottom triple tree.
    I'm putting original aluminum signals back on my 74 r90/6 but the plastic ones on it were wired exactly as you describe. Fwiw

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmftoy1 View Post
    I'm putting original aluminum signals back on my 74 r90/6 but the plastic ones on it were wired exactly as you describe. Fwiw
    How did I know this?

By The Way,... 69zeff65 was exactly right in his description of the turn signal nomenclature.