Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New rider here with a question

<< What's a cager got to wave for? >>

I come from a part of the country, and a time long ago, when drivers of cars and trucks ALWAYS gave the two-finger lift off the steering wheel when you met another vehicle. Not sure why everyone did it, but they did.

I can get the same response today, but only in my local neighborhood where, I guess, we all figure the other driver is a neighbor, whether we actually recognize him/her or not.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I come from a part of the country, and a time long ago, when drivers of cars and trucks ALWAYS gave the two-finger lift off the steering wheel when you met another vehicle. Not sure why everyone did it, but they did.
    Still do that in most rural parts of TX,but mostly in trucks...Helen calls it the Dodge Nod when folks also tilt their cap/head as they lift the fingers.
    In the city...forgetaboutit
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The Wave

Maybe my eyesight is bad, I never noticed or had time to count fingers or notice which way they were pointing, nor was I aware there were different hand gestures in different locations. who can keep up with this ****?

In the past when I did wave I just stuck my arm out hand open and pointed downward, as in "Hi how are you?"

My most recent trip to the Florida Keys I encountered many many sets of loud pipes and ape hangers engaged in a "Poker Run". Being the social type I waved to many of these dudes with no response, so with that in mind I will no longer attempt wave or even look at a rider headed the other way, I will be paying attention where I am going...........
    Gene T

I can't believe I'm joining in, but

...the past three summers' trips; Chicago to San Fran, LA and back, and Chicago to Int'l Falls, and down to the Dragon, the Harley people waved or acknowledged me in some sort of friendly way far more than the BMW riders. In fact two BMW people on a bench at a gas station near the Dragon/ Cherahola just about choked on "hello" when I sat down nearby and complimented their machine. Weirdos, and unusual for certain, but I'm just sayin'

BUT! I thought tap to the head was "something's amiss w your headlight" MSF basic.

I usually lean off to the left and do the low palm down repeatedly gesture for "cop ahead in your lane."
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

RK Ryder
    Back in the early '70s, we Volvo owners always gave each other a wave. Don't know if they still do it now.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

The Wave

For many years I have ridden with a loosely organized (actually disorganized is a better description) group of guys and most of the others ride Harleys. On one long weekend adventure and in keeping with the whole Harley/Badass Biker/Pirate theme we came up with a different wave. Upon encountering an oncoming rider we could clap our left hand over our left eye and shout "Aarrgh"...it never did cautch on and we got a lot of strange looks, but it was fun anyway.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

2007 BMW R1200RT

We ride with a few 'Wings on occasion...H & I started to tuck left hand under armpit and raise elbow up & down...ya know...like a chicken wing!

Some think it's funny anyways
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Thumbs up Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by packitout View Post
    Whats the deal with acknowledging an oncoming motorcyclist? Some point two fingers down, some do a Hawaiian thing with the thumb and pinky, others just wave by pointing their clutch hand fingers up. thanks for your input.
    Seriously? I actually love that you've made a thread asking about how to wave "properly" on a bike. You'll find the topic to have nearly as many answers as your typical oil, or tire thread. Here's my spin on waving- just do it! I wave to anything and everything on two wheels, to people in cars who don't pull out in front of me, and to girls. People have different "waves" but anything will do- just make sure you can wave safely. If you think you have to do it a certain way, then do what you feel. IMO there's no right or wrong. Again, nod or ignore if you cannot acknowledge another rider in total safety.

Enjoy your bike and have fun out there.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World