Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aging Bikers and Trikes

Talking

Spyders with a rider remind me of little kids and Fisher-Price power wheels. Nothing against them, just can't get past the visual. As for trikes, wonder how long before the Florida retirement community is saturated with them running around with a blinker on. Probably be better to be t-boned by a trike than a Buick.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Moondog
    Sidecar, Spyder then a trike. I have seen a nice blue sidecar rig from a K1100RS. That would be the one. And as things go now, I am not far from doing a sidecar....

Nickname: Droid
    When I can no longer lean into the curves I live for day to day, close the lid on me cause I hope to done with my "life ride".

I have ridden both a Spyder and a K1200LT Hannigan Trike, and didn't care for either of them, especially the K12LT trike.

If I can't lean, then I'd just as soon be driving some hot little built up covertible sports car. Takes up abotu the same space, carries more stuff, and I can put the top up in the crappy weather, even have a heater!

BruceRT

Spyders are fast and fun

The Spyder surprised me by how fast and stable it was. It cornered as on rails. Of course I prefer a machine that corners as an airplane but if I could not balance, I would be happy on a Spyder.

My knees are getting weaker but instead of triking my Gold Wing, I downsized in weight to a R1200RT. If that becomes too much for my knees, I would downsize further to a 500 or even a 250. I love leaning.

Of course the wild card in all this is the passenger; I ride solo. If my wife still wanted to ride but I could not hold up a comfortable bike, it would be trike time.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    If I can't lean, then I'd just as soon be driving some hot little built up covertible sports car. Takes up about the same space, carries more stuff, and I can put the top up in the crappy weather, even have a heater!
    That sums it up for me, too.

I'll downsize from my old RT if I feel the need. Trikes strike me as way too expensive, and if you can't lean, what's the point?

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

I had a Steib rig for my R69S, back in the day. Way cool and fun in town, etc. However, unless you have an experienced passenger to provide counter balance they are a pain in the a#$ in the twisties. Not sure what I'll do when I no longer can handle 500+/- lb of a bike:-(

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

My K is much easier to ride than the Ural, but when I leave in the morning 9 out of 10 times I get on the Ural. It's a bear sometimes, but goddam it's fun!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up