Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Proper Rain Suit Sizing

I'm not a big fan of one piece rain suits anymore. I used to think that they would be faster and easier to get into, but a few roadside downpours convinced me otherwise. It's also harder to reach your wallet if you carry it in your back pocket and urgent rest stops can get dramatic. Since my riding pants and jacket are water resistant (but not waterproof) I just use a frogg toggs road toad set. Its lightweight, works well and is probably the fastest, easiest suit to put on. It has pass through pockets so i can reach my wallet and money easily. Some critics claim that they aren't durable, but I've had mine for two years with no problems. At about 60 bucks, I would just replace it every few years. I like wearing a looser suit so that it's easier to put on over my riding gear.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

Got pretty mch every type of gear including a Roadcrafter, etc.

Rain gear depends on what you expect to do. A roadcrafter or similar 1 or 2 piece is fine to put on when you head out if you expect to ride in light rain. But if you're concerned about running into real frog chokers while out on a trip (many would simply stop rather than ride in such but I'm not one of those) nothing is the equal of a good 2 piece GoreTex set- it packs smaller and breathes better than anything else. The best place to get the stuff is Cabelas simply because they sell the pants in various lengths so you can get them long enough for sitting on a bike. My GoreTex jacket is 20 yrs old and has been everywhere from offshore boats to hunting trips to the the bike- the pants have been replaced and on a second pair.

Separate rain liners are not an optimal choice for anything. They take time to get on and off, etc. I tend to think of them more as removeable wind blockers that are of more use in the cold than in extreme wet

If you can spring for the most modern hi tech laminates as used by Klim, the higher end RevIt gear, etc that helps eliminate some of the problems of liners but I still like an external rain set if its going to be extremely wet all day.

Of course, on super hot and wet days like you might find in the SE in late summer, it is simply more comfortable to ride into the water with no rain gear and get cooled off- for 30 minute rains this is fine and you'll dry almost immediately afterward..

Like any other gear, experience will help you select what is best for any specific situation. What is ideal varies by situation.

3. 09-19-2012, 02:23 PM