Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Airhead?

michaelc
    1970s BMW:

21st Century BMW:

I know which era I'd rather be associated with.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    No longer representative of the 21st century BMW and mostly becoming embarassments.
    There are times I think Kent does this just to troll for comments.....

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

advrider.com
    I have 5 old airheads. I'm too embarrassed to even show my face any more!

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    What's to be embarrassed about. Hell I'm jealous.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I don't have any right now, but I am looking!

I'm one more bike embarrassed than you, maybe we should start a support group.

To the OP, they're all good. Some years have problems, but can be fixed if the "problem" ever develops. Worry more about what bike will fit your needs, touring, daily rider, etc. Also the condition is more important than what year. Find the bike that fits and has been well cared for.
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

And I've only had one airhead ... for thirty-nine years. Still seems to get the job done, drum brakes and all.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Hey, think outside the roundel. How about a Ural Solo? Modern alternator and ignition, electric and kick start, 2-year warranty, disc brakes, simple maintenance, spokes, tubes, BMW heritage, all for about $8k and all brand new, no previous owner dubious maintenance to worry about. Not to mention you can add a sidecar. The new ones have addressed many of the problems they had, and mine has been utterly reliable, probably much more than a 30-yr-old beemer. Just a thought.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 35634; 09-21-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    And I've only had one airhead ... for thirty-nine years. Still seems to get the job done, drum brakes and all.

Lew,

Beautiful bike. I am looking for this exact bike. Same year, same color, same condition. Congratulations on such a nice bike...

Regards,

Chris
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

Great looking toaster! We all would like to have that in our garage.

Welcome to CRAZY. . .

The BEST advice is to turn away and run before you get addicted. OK, so it may be too late for you.

Some of us embarrassed people like the look of the pre-80 "all metal" engine, with the beloved clamshell covering the air filter. Adds a huge fun-factor when you replace the filter and try to get it to fit back together. Post-81 filter cover was made from a modern material known as "plastic," and some say it doesn't look as fine as the metal clamshell.

Some of us love to work on these things; that is EASY to do, both from a technical standpoint, and from a parts availability perspective. LOTS of parts interchange model-to-model, and year-to-year -- in fact, BMW may be the BEST marque in the world for this. Old Hondas are pretty EZ for parts, too, but not as easy as old BMW's.

There were a LOT of R-80's built over the years, making them relatively inexpensive to buy, and these engines are often described as "understressed," so they generally last a long time. Not as powerful nor as fast as the early R100's, but only you can judge how important a factor this is.

There is a "great divide" between iron-sleeved cylinders for bikes pre-80 vs. Nicasil (sometimes "Nikasil) or Galnikal cylinders '81 and post -- the latter tend to last forever; iron may need a hone every now and then.

Plenty of experts across the country work on these old crocks, and the work is not "that expensive" when it's a love affair. Valve seat recession? Probably under $700 for a more-or-less permanent fix . . . and that price contemplates replacing valve guides, valves, springs, etc. An owner can repair, replace, upgrade almost everything on an old Boxer. . .and this will make it your own.

One more word: When one drives a side-car rig, there is a phenomenon known as "the Ural factor" (exact brand doesn't matter) which refers to a trip taking a lot longer, due to people engaging you at gas stops, rest stops, etc. to talk about your strange machine and your (perhaps) even stranger habits. Airhead? Same thing. Personally, I enjoy asking people how old they think my '78 R100RS (MS) is. . .and watching them nearly faint when they hear it's 34 years old, and counting. . . and I'm 1,000 miles from home, and counting. . .

Love my Oily, love my Airhead -- the perfect duo for doing whatever you care to do on two wheels, and both are dead-easy to work on. Clymer, Haynes, Forum will all serve you well.

Airheads: If you have to ask. . .I could never explain it to you.

Walking Eagle (embarrassed AND ashamed as well as potentially mortified to use my "real" name)

p.s. pay no attention to crazydrummerdude. He's -ah- crazy.

Bluenoser
    If you are looking at an airhead, I would suggest you checkout the Airhead.org site and look for some members or an Air Marshall in your area. They will help you in your quest for an airhead.

There are usually a lot of these old bikes for sale but not all are worth what people want for them. It will take a minimum of approx $ 1500 to get a bike that has set for a few years but has nothing really mechanically wrong with it, back on the road.

As to which bike, once you know what you want it to do, then you can narrow your choices. I wouln't be to hung up on what other folks prefer, it's what fits you that matters.

Good luck.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    One more word: When one drives a side-car rig, there is a phenomenon known as "the Ural factor" (exact brand doesn't matter) which refers to a trip taking a lot longer, due to people engaging you at gas stops, rest stops, etc. to talk about your strange machine and your (perhaps) even stranger habits. Airhead? Same thing. Personally, I enjoy asking people how old they think my '78 R100RS (MS) is. . .and watching them nearly faint when they hear it's 34 years old, and counting.
    We actually call it "UDF" (Ural Delay Factor) and it is a very real phenomenon. Adds to the fun factor. Occasionally when someone asks me how old my 2012 rig is I'll say it's from 1953 with some updates. They nod their head knowingly and say "I thought so"
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post

Sweet. Love the color too, must take very good care of it. There is one at Gateway BMW that has my eye, but not my wife's. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1...R!**-105316026

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    As new an R100RT or R100RS or R100GS as you can find.

Not for sure anything older than 1981, as time has moved on and these bikes are firmly in the "quaint" and "difficult" category these days. No longer representative of the 21st century BMW and mostly becoming embarassments.
    ....mmmm I would get more compliments and attention with my 1977 R100 than my 1998 K1200RS (taxi cab). It has been one of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned. Besides the ABS module on the '77 R100 has never failed me!