Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: oil

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I'm hoping for some help from Mrs. Glaves on this. Paul is getting better? Right?

She, unlike all of us, is out riding to collect her TWO MILLION MILE award and not worrying about footnotes or oil.

XXX Indeed.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Your opinion is silly and you have no education, training or experiences that give you the right to say such a thing.... and, your stuff is weak.
    Well I did think I know a little bit about oil since I have been changing it pretty regularly,by myself or sometimes paying others,for over 40 years;but now I see that AKBeemer has completely unmasked me and I am but a tyro.Not a pyro.I swan in the face of superior stuff.

Huggies are the new better way to all get along!
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    After which it becomes fuel oil and is burnt...

Oil Hell

Larry
    I got interested in the true answer to your "oil hell" answer. Actually it's complicated & no it doesn't all go to be burned. There is the law, then there is the reality that it gets various "treatments" while much still goes into our rivers, landfills & various other actually unknown places around the planet-sadly much used oil in the USA goes into the environment.Rant:Too frequently changing your oil (I'll call it " Anal Oil Changes")adds to this burden. After googling-"where does recycled motor oil go?"I read an interesting article in Scientific American about used oil. There seems to be a lot of room for entreprenuers with used oil , if you can collect it efficiently & get to the processors too. It's stated that there are now processes that far surpass those of the past & make it as good as any virgin crude for processing into "new" lube oil.
    Some oil is cleaned & reused in place as one Navy vet said they had cleaners that spun the oil for cleaning in his ship's engine room.
    Perhaps oil threads can be interesting ?

Quote Originally Posted by jgr451 View Post
    Well I did think I know a little bit about oil since I have been changing it pretty regularly,by myself or sometimes paying others,for over 40 years;but now I see that AKBeemer has completely unmasked me and I am but a tyro.Not a pyro.I swan in the face of superior stuff.
    Don't be silly. None of us know squadoodle about oil.

If we did, we couldn't be posting all these questions about it.....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

FWIW, a brand new Merc. Benz comes with recycled oil in the engine. How many miles is it until the first oil change? Something like 600 miles, if I remember correctly.
    MB claims it does not hurt the car and they are helping the earth too. I would like to know how much money they save per year by doing this.

Got this info off of the History Channel.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    FWIW, a brand new Merc. Benz comes with recycled oil in the engine. How many miles is it until the first oil change? Something like 600 miles, if I remember correctly.
    You don't remember correctly both times.

The first oil change is 10K miles just like all the others.

It's a brand new Fuchs synthetic.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's a brand new Fuchs synthetic.
    My info is a quite a few years old. I wonder if my info was bogus or if Benz made a change after the the recycled oil comment on the Modern Marvels television series.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    There is the law, then there is the reality that it gets various "treatments" while much still goes into our rivers, landfills & various other actually unknown places around the planet-sadly much used oil in the USA goes into the environment.Perhaps oil
    Side story on improperly disposed oil...

Had a apartment complex no light call one evening...fuse blown feeding below grade transformer ( this set up was basically a 4' wide concrete cylinder 4' deep with a transformer about the size of a 35gallon drum sitting in the middle) The transformer vault covered with a wire mesh grate able to withstand light traffic.

Anyways...removed cover and smelled burnt oil...thinking it was the mineral oil from the transformer...after removing the sheet metal shield below the grate, discovered the vault COMPLETELY full of used motor oil All the cables were swollen from the oil and the oily sludge had shorted out the low voltage exposed connections.
    We called out our environmental clean up crew...they pumped almost 5-55 gal drums of goop out of that hole as it had entered all the conduits running into it as well.Stinky rainwater sludge...lovely smell and a mess to work around of course

A little old lady walked up and told us a fellow living in unit 2B was running an oil change service and he always parked in that spot...for years! ...!@#$%** had used our vault as his oil sump. We had no direct evidence even though one of the bigger guys almost beat his door down to talk to him and he just shrugged his shoulders. All we could do on that hot summer night was to tell the rest of the tenants who's fault is was...kharma we hoped.

Back to the real oil thread
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I had a KS neighbor & farmer that still ran a steel tired tractor(in 1960's/70's) for his plowing & his recycle method for oil was to let it sit in various containers for a few years, then go back & reuse it after the dregs were at the bottom. He also reused anti-freeze this way too. I suppose when you are running a machine that is still operating well after many years of hard use it makes it OK?