Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oil

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Good oil is better than bad oil.
    So Paul, in your expert opinion, exactly how do you punish bad oil?....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    So Paul, in your expert opinion, exactly how do you punish bad oil?....
    It goes to "time out" in a steel mesh encased 300 gallon tank at the recycling center where it hangs out with all of its miscreant friends.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

It goes to "time out" in a steel mesh encased 300 gallon tank at the recycling center where it hangs out with all of its miscreant friends.
    Whew, I was worried you meant for us to spank it when it's bad. I unintentionally spanked some bad oil that was hiding out in the drain pan. It spit all over me and everything in the garage. I was just wondering how to control it in the future - and if there was a penalty for it spitting.....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

We should have a contest to see how many words can be substituted for the word 'oil' in Paul's monograph above:

Xxx is good. Some xxx is better than no xxx. New xxx is better than old xxx. Good xxx is better than bad xxx.

I'd go first, but at the moment all my examples would get me banned from the forum... and I changed the last bit to: Bad xxx is better than good xxx.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

We can not discuss XXX on the forum. or xxx.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    We can not discuss XXX on the forum. or xxx.
    And if you do, you will not be eXonerated of wrong - doin's on the forum.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I was really hoping for another oil thread,you know,one where a couple of people bash a couple of other people's opinions and credentials and stuff...sigh.....

Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jgr451 View Post
    I was really hoping for another oil thread,you know,one where a couple of people bash a couple of other people's opinions and credentials and stuff...sigh.....
    Stick around. It's awful early in this thread - first someone has to start complaining about not talking about oil - which is incorrect because I talked about bad oil spitting at me.

Then it's going to become a shot at us having a bit of fun with yet another oil thread instead of helping out the OP.

Then maybe - just maybe - if we stick around long enough, someone will get the arguements started.

In the meantime - we can keep it friendly and everyone's happy.

Now, how about a nice group hug....

Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by jgr451 View Post

Your opinion is silly and you have no education, training or experiences that give you the right to say such a thing.... and, your stuff is weak.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Your opinion is silly and you have no education, training or experiences that give you the right to say such a thing.... and, your stuff is weak.
    Another great group hug - wasted.....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    We should have a contest to see how many words can be substituted for the word 'oil' in Paul's monograph above:

Xxx is good. Some xxx is better than no xxx. New xxx is better than old xxx. Good xxx is better than bad xxx.

I'd go first, but at the moment all my examples would get me banned from the forum... and I changed the last bit to: Bad xxx is better than good xxx.
    the worst XXX I ever had still did the job
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Another great group hug - wasted.....
    We do have a problem here. The knowledgeable Mr. Glaves from TX seems to be at odds with the folks at SAE referenced by Ikchris. Surely, Mr Glaves thinks he's getting better.....why not his oil???

I'm hoping for some help from Mrs. Glaves on this. Paul is getting better? Right?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Yes, and you'll note if you want the full SAE article I linked to, you have to pay for it.

Mostly on the Internet for sure we get what we pay for.

And, you could note that the article linked provides DATA that today's motor oils become better lubricators the longer they remain in use. Radical, right?
    Kent,

Not to resurrect ghosts from the past, but I'm pretty sure that I recall Rob Lentini writing about maintenance procedures for the F15 or F14 which included draining the oil, changing the oil filter, filtering the oil and reusing it.

This is a completely anecdotal comment attributed to a former technical contributor that has passed away. While it nearly meets the most rigorous standards of internet information, (no neighbor of the brother-in-law with a degree from MIT and formerly employed by the CIA), it should be enough to prompt someone within the forum of similar tech background to the deceased to chime in.

However, with that being said, I would much sooner hear how Aikens and henzilla will meld the group hug and xxx threads into one.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

After which it becomes fuel oil and is burnt...

Oil Hell

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Not to resurrect ghosts from the past, but I'm pretty sure that I recall Rob Lentini writing about maintenance procedures for the F15 or F14 which included draining the oil, changing the oil filter, filtering the oil and reusing it.
    Many that have been around for a while know that Rob and I were very close and were riding/wrenching partners on the 11RS. We discussed oil - among other things - a lot. We both ran Mobil 1 for 15,000 miles in 2000. Every 5,000 miles - religously - I changed oil and filter [BMW filter]. Rob replaced only the filter and topped his oil back up - also at 5,000 miles. At the end of 15,000 miles, we both sent samples of our oils to Blackstone Labs for analysis. The results were very close to the same. Becasue we really weren't thinking when we started, we failed to get starting reports for a comparison.

However, with that being said, I would much sooner hear how Aikens and henzilla will meld the group hug and xxx threads into one.

I'm working on it....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442