Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: taking delivery of an F 700 GS

taking delivery of an F 700 GS

Hi all,

New guy here. My name is Marty and I will be picking up my F 700 GS on Saturday morning. I plan to spend most of the day on the road getting to know my new bike. Most of my riding will be commuter and short (100 mile) trips. Next year I plan on taking her to some fire roads and gravel roads. What accessories should I look at first? I'm thinking tall windshield or topcase. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Congrats on your new bike. Just make a list of things you would like to get. Panniers, windscreen, rock protectors for radiator, headlights, etc. The list goes on and on.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Skid Plate, Crash Bars, Hand Guards,
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Quote Originally Posted by dadayama View Post
    Skid Plate, Crash Bars, Hand Guards,
    +1

Welcome! Be sure to check out the GS Giants for tons of fun! Click below!

Unless money is no object I'd ride it for at least 500-1,000 miles and find out what strikes you the most as needing an upgrade or improvement. It may be the windshield, it may be the saddle, or it may be something you haven't thought of at this point.

Good luck with the new ride!
    Dan

Thanks everyone,

All good ideas. I'll probably take a bit from each.

I've been to Twisted Throttle and AS Cycle. Are there any other must see BMW GS centric websites for aftermarket equipment/gear?

Twisted Throttle is a nice ride from your area. This weekend there is some sort of helmet event going on as I recall. If you dare you could show up at the YB Breakfast and show the bike off. My F8 is pretty well loaded up. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Hi Gary,

I would definetly be interested in meeting some like minded people. Are you meeting at Willowbrook this weekend?

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by packitout View Post
    Hi Gary,

I would definetly be interested in meeting some like minded people. Are you meeting at Willowbrook this weekend?

Marty
    Not this weekend Marty, I may have confuse you be "imbedding" the link to the YB site- here it is on the front page- http://www.yankeebeemers.org/ But if you decide to go, it's right close to you- just down from the Imperial group. Chance are I'll be going on the 21st (Oct) and if you check/remind me I can save you a spot at the cool table
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

We picked our new 700s up, rode them home and immediately decided to order the larger factory windscreen. We did order other accessories, but the windshield was a must for us.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtnocal View Post
    We picked our new 700s up, rode them home and immediately decided to order the larger factory windscreen. We did order other accessories, but the windshield was a must for us.
    How tall are you? What's your inseam? I understand that the F700GS has the same seat height as the factory lowered suspension version of the 2013 F800GS which I have on order. The windshield is one of my biggest concerns (after skid plate, engine protection bars, hand guards and probably upgraded lighting).

Do you (or anyone) know if you order the larger windshield when you order the bike, does it come to you installed? Or is it like my Tiger 800 (just sold) which came with the standard screen and the larger one is a box for the user to install. I kinda like the idea of having both. But it might be more expensive to order the screen afterwards through the parts dept than as a factory option.

Enjoy the bike!
    #6 - 2011 BMW K1300GT Exclusive Edition
    #7 - 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
    #8 - 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic (on order)
    BMWMOA #163433

My experience is that it usually comes in a box, thru the parts dept. and service removes the stock windshield and installs the new one prior to delivery. At least that's always been the way it's happened to me and they've always given me the old one.
    Steve
    So many roads - so little time.
    2013 R1200GSW

+1 dancogan

The people who designed the bike put a lot of thought into the windscreen. Why not at least try it for 1000 or more before deciding that you don't like it. I hastily bought a V-Stream that turns my F800ST into a sail craft and blows me all over the Interstate. Only to discover that the stock windshield works just fine and also helps hold me up.

I would ride it the way it was designed until you are SURE what you don't like and need to add.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Eldor View Post
    How tall are you? What's your inseam? I understand that the F700GS has the same seat height as the factory lowered suspension version of the 2013 F800GS which I have on order. The windshield is one of my biggest concerns (after skid plate, engine protection bars, hand guards and probably upgraded lighting).

Do you (or anyone) know if you order the larger windshield when you order the bike, does it come to you installed? Or is it like my Tiger 800 (just sold) which came with the standard screen and the larger one is a box for the user to install. I kinda like the idea of having both. But it might be more expensive to order the screen afterwards through the parts dept than as a factory option.

Enjoy the bike!
    I am 5' 8" and after sitting on the new F800 and 700, I think you are right about the seat heights. After putting a few miles, on the 700, I am really looking forward to a little more wind blocking.
    2013 F700 GS
    Ostra Metallic Gray
    A boy lies in the grass unmoving staring at the sky...

Windscreen 2013 F700

Whomever was smart enough to post here that the existing larger windscreen wouldn't fit the 2013 F700GS was correct. Everything else fit, but we are waiting for a mounting kit from the Fatherland to make the new windscreens fit.
    2013 F700 GS
    Ostra Metallic Gray
    A boy lies in the grass unmoving staring at the sky...