Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extended Warranty, which one best?

Quote Originally Posted by andreb View Post
    I don't believe in the concept of an extended warranty for any vehicle. I figure anything major will happen in the first three years/36k miles. The extended warranty is usually full of loopholes, and normal wear and maintenance are excluded.

The biggest reason is this: Extended warranties are a profit item for the insurance companies. That means, they expect to profit handsomely from it. Profit means revenue less expenses. Which means you should pay for your expenses and not pay the insurance company their profit margin. It is cheaper that way. And one can safely assume the insurance company has done the probability math/chances of a breakdown for your vehicle forcing them to pay. Most consumer magazines do not recommend them.

Besides, when dealers ask me about them, I respond, "What? You've sold me a piece of junk? I thought you only sold good vehicles." Based on past experience, I would have never collected on any extended warranty.
    Yes, exactly, insurance companies don't lose money.

Extended warranties are a lot like dental insurance. Most of what dental insurance covers is NOT a surprise and is basically pre-paying.

Rather than pre-paying for normal motorcycle system failures, why not put your money in your bank and earn interest for you? Then if you're lucky and things don't fail, you have your money.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Nickname: Droid
    THAT sounds like a real warranty program that you yourself control!

Warranty/Insurance

When I bought my 08 RT there was a service contract in effect that the original owner paid the dealer 1400 bucks for. This covers lubricated parts and electronics, there was a forty dollar transfer fee and the contract is good until October 2014. For forty bucks how could I go wrong???

However on the other hand I had on of these policies on a Porsche 944 years ago that was not worth two hoots in hell................
    Gene T

western service

I found Western Service...they were sold and are here now:

http://www.protectiveassetprotection...ad_Motorcycles
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Quote Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post

Thank you Blubeast,

Regards

Damian

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post

The exclusions listed on their website has a lot of loopholes for them to deny coverage. And the final little tidbit: "* A complete list of exclusions appears in the vehicle service contract."
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Yes, i saw all that and I am convinced that this is no worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by damiangs View Post
    Which one you guys recommend?
    I really don't believe in them. Instead, I buy vehicles that have good track records.

But if I did get an extended warranty, I'd only get one if offered by the manufacturer, not some other/third party.

extended warranty ins

I am very pleased with Pinnacle; purchased when I got the bike from a dealer w/ 4k on the odo; good for the 7yrs from date of manufacture; I am currently $1 cost for every $3 returned; about to go to ~$5 return for the $1 spent due to cracked tranny housing.
    This is not an option to consider if you are riding 5k or so a year.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >165K miles; '07 RT w/ >140K miles

LD blog: www.ppldma.com

Quote Originally Posted by peterbonly View Post
    I am very pleased with Pinnacle; purchased when I got the bike from a dealer w/ 4k on the odo; good for the 7yrs from date of manufacture;
    Thank you, peterbonly. I will consider Pinnacle. Is it specific to a certain dealer, or Pinnacle will pay for your repair no matter where you are/live?
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    German philosopher (1788 - 1860)