Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: difficulty seating tire bead

Question difficulty seating tire bead

I am fitting a rear 400x18 Michelin Pilot Activ, with new tube, on my rear snowflake. I have everything lubed up with actual tire miounting lube, have taken it over 65 psi 4 times tonite, and the bead will not completely seat.
    I am going to try leaving it out in the sun to make it more flexible, but really, this seems ridiculous. I can only change tires in the hot part of the year? Does type of tube matter? Are Michelin Pilots just a PITA? Are tubelsss tires fitted with tubes generally a PITA? Is there some technique which has escaped me? or??

For me tubless on tube are generally more difficult than proper tube tire but should seat
    The problem is usually getting the bead off the rim for a roadside repair rather than inflation

consider carefully the tube itself and the thickened area near the base of the stem - often folks will stick the stem through the wheel and tighten the nut to hold the stem in place before inflating the tire.
    This sometimes causes the tube to get between the bead and the rim in the stem area. Better way is to just start nut on stem and push stem into wheel as far as it will go while inflating

Usually when a proper size tire will not pop out on bead the tube is folded under bead or this fat area near the stem is in the way - this is more critical with tubeless on tube than real tube tire

The snowflake wheel does not seem to have as deep a center trough in is as many steel rims and for me is a little more difficult than old style wheels

You did clean the rubber from the seat area of the rim, right? Fill it with 60psi and let it sit in the sun. Bounce it as Brewmeister suggested. Tubeless tires have stiffer sidewalls and can be a bear to seat.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

The pilot active tires are a MAJOR PIA to mount. I had a very hard time with mine a few months ago. I found that the strap on the outside of the tire helps, make sure the valve is not in the stem, and you need to be able to inflate the tire extemely rapidly. It took me multiple times to finally seat the tire. I also used a large amount of tire lube. I think i ended up putting in about 80-90 lbs of air before it finally seated.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I broke two straps trying to seat a difficult tire. Bike size compressors are useless. Use soapy water as a lubricant, take the valve stem out, let it sit in the sun for awhile. Use full size compressor and inflate till it pops. I've gone to 90 pounds with some tires. If bouncing works that's just dumb luck.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

A friend was badly injured when a ratchet strap he was using to re rim a tire split/broke/popped when the tire was being inflated. The buckle caught him in the eye. Enough said about that. It was not a motorcycle, but I think it is a good warning.

I too tried to mount a pilot-activ 325x19 front this spring. I finally gave up & took it to a shop.

In the past I have had some luck in your situation "bouncing" the tire & wheel carefully on the shop floor.

Like Tonyc said... go to 80 to 90 psi. I go to at least 80psi on every tire I mount. If your worried about the higher psi's, then take it to a shop.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

PS another good trick is to remove the valve core. the air will go in much faster. after the tire seats then let the air back out and replace the valve core. tire will stay seated!!!
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Of course, with tubeless tires, the ole WD-40 and a flame will do the job every time.

See YouTube for Redneck method.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

now what?

OK, I put it in the sun. I lubed it all up again. Inflate to 90, nothing. Bounced it around, still no seat. Came back to put in window, tube blew. Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Try putting a ratchet strap around the outside diameter of the tire snugly when not inflated then put in air and also don't have the valve core in the tube untill /when the bead seats.lube the rim center not where the tire seats on the rim. look up on the no-mar web site for great video's of putting on various tires/rims and where to lubricate the tire/rim.Also try bouncing the whole tire/rim assembly carefully with air in the tire(core back in the valve stem)not yet seated around the parimeter of the tire then deflate and reinflate to see if it will then seat,stop if your not having any luck and have a beer,then it will work out better after a break time.liberal use of strong language may help.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Of course, with tubeless tires, the ole WD-40 and a flame will do the job every time.

See YouTube for Redneck method.
    I used to use starting fluid to seat ATV tires. It launches them a good two feet in the air. Very amusing, though you didn't want your customers seeing you do this.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    I've had this problem once or twice and what I ended up doing was using a trigger clamp to twist the tire, that is pull out the section where the bead wasn't seating. All that while it was well lubed and being inflated.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31575

Last year, I spent some time really cleaning the inside of my rims. Amazing how much crap was was in there.

This year, no problem mounting Avon Roadrunners. Not sure if there is a connection.

Regards,

Barron

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    OK, I put it in the sun. I lubed it all up again. Inflate to 90, nothing. Bounced it around, still no seat. Came back to put in window, tube blew. Now what?
    This usually only happens to me a few hours before I'm leaving for a few thousand mile ride. At some point, you have to take it to a shop, yes? You've been at it a few days now.

Just make sure they tell you what the fix was.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

It seems clear by now this tire in not suitable - and even if you mount it you will never be able to
    do a roadside repair - so quit before you hurt yourself and get a properly sized tire

You should be able to mount and dismount with the tire spoons in the standard tool kit and inflate enough with the stock bike tire pump to drive to the nearest gas station - if you cannot do at least that then don't use that tire - your riding buddies will not invite you along on the next adventure if you cannot fix your own stuff because you deliberately installed wrong parts that defeat the original design

Not to mention some of the incredible loads put on this rim...seems quite a bit higher than I've heard anyone has gone or should go to. IMO, I wouldn't go over 60 psi. Then again, I don't mount my own tires and have no idea what the shop does out of my view!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!