Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what is the best GPS

tom is that 665 worth the 150.00 more?

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Actually, my 660 and 665 ask me if I want them to stay on (battery power) or off every time I switch the key to off..
    Same thing with my Nuvi 550.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Actually, my 660 and 665 ask me if I want them to stay on (battery power) or off every time I switch the key to off. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, so switched power isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    and my Nuvi 205 and Nuvi 265, and 276C and III+ and V, but not the 2610 which has no battery at all. If you notice as you head to that bathroom in a hurry all is fine. I don't, so then come back to an off GPS. It annoys me. I just prefer the risk I'll put the bike away without turning off and/or unplugging things. Every now and then I have annoyed myself that way too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If you notice as you head to that bathroom in a hurry all is fine.
    Okay, so most of the time it works well on unswitched power.

I tend to sell old GPSes when new models come out, I loved my 2610, but can't imagine still owning it. They sell for a lot more if you dump them right away.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arptra View Post
    tom is that 665 worth the 150.00 more?
    I thought it was, but I sold a 550 for $450 to help pay for it when it came out. I think my out of pocket expense was only $200 or so. Don't forget it's about 3 years old now.

On the other hand, I had to wait a long time before Garmin fixed the damn software so it actually worked reasonably well. It does now, but it used to shut off on me all the time.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I just bought that 660 and it was a tough choice but cheaper won out, start a little at a time, i'm used to 125.00 nuvi

GPS question

I thought it was, but I sold a 550 for $450 to help pay for it when it came out. I think my out of pocket expense was only $200 or so. Don't forget it's about 3 years old now.

On the other hand, I had to wait a long time before Garmin fixed the damn software so it actually worked reasonably well. It does now, but it used to shut off on me all the time.
    I'm considering buying a ZUMO 450 which has been discontinued. You mentioned that you have a Garmin that used to shut off all the time. I've read that about the ZUMO 450 in reviews. Does a software upgrade fix that problem?
    Thanks for any advice.

The best GPS is the one you can see on the bike, some are great in the showroom cannot be scene in daylight.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    The best GPS is the one you can see on the bike, some are great in the showroom cannot be scene in daylight.
    That is why the old Garmin 276c/376c/478 family is the best IMHO. I can see it clearly even with a dark shield, Especially the 478 which is a little brighter that the 276c.

It is dangerous enough to look at it while moving, but to have to stare at it and struggle to see it is as bad or worse than texting while driving.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Hey Bob,
    I used to use a Nuvi 750, which was NOT motorcycle specific... I bought the Gilsson (or was it Gillson) hardwire kit for it and ran it directly to the battery... That worked for awhile and then that stopped working. The electronic module that's on the hardwire kit basically tricks the GPS unit into thinking it's plugged into a charger and NOT your computer, which means the GPS is functional. Hardwiring directly will result in the GPS unit thinking it's plugged into the computer and bringing up the screen for updates. Follow me?

I now use the Nuvi 550 with a Garmin cigarette adapter that is plugged into a cig plug I have wired directly to my battery. This has worked well for the last couple of years...

The weak point on the Nuvi units is the mini USB port.. NOT weather proof and the plug sometimes loses the power connection... I just put my finger on and plug at the back of the GPS and push it and it is restored.

I believe that the power connection on the Zumo models is much better, but again, I don't want to spend 700 clams on a GPS unit.

Hope this helps.

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    Tom,

How are you powering your Nuvi? I have an old 700 series I'd like to mount to the bike but have been told there might be a voltage issue. (The auto cigarette plug wiring steps it down in voltage?)

I picked up an accessory plug adaptor for the bike, and while it works, every time I hit a bigger bump power interupts and it runs through the whole set up again. I'd like to hardwire the unit and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com