Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is the best GPS

what is the best GPS

I'm searching for a GPS and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best motorcycle GPS that I could install routes using map source or other software? considering the Garmin 660ML, thx

The best GPS is like the best motorcycle... there is no one best. What is best for me may not be best for you.

How important is screen size?
    How important is ability to use the device off the bike?
    How important is voice prompting? bluetooth?
    How important is an mp3 player function.
    How important is touch screen?
    How important is built-in auto routing ability?
    How important is weather/water proofing?
    etc.

Answer those (and other questions) and you'll be able to narrow down the choices to what is best for you. Look a the features for various models/brands of GPS units and you'll get a better idea of the possible choices.

Marchyman is right.... it's all about what fits your needs.

That being said, however, the motorcycle specific models tend to be pretty pricey, so I'd look on ebay for a used or refurbished one and try to save a few $$.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 550. It's waterproof and gives me all the features I really need. I really wanted a Garmin Zumo, but couldn't justify the extra cost.
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

Tom,

How are you powering your Nuvi? I have an old 700 series I'd like to mount to the bike but have been told there might be a voltage issue. (The auto cigarette plug wiring steps it down in voltage?)

I picked up an accessory plug adaptor for the bike, and while it works, every time I hit a bigger bump power interupts and it runs through the whole set up again. I'd like to hardwire the unit and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

i'm considering a zumo 660 and was wondering if they have all the functions as the marine GPS? really dont save much money on buying a used gps and that makes me wonder if the older ones are better or have more functions.

Geeser
    What functions are you talking about on a marine GPS? that will make answering the question easier.
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

any functions they may have like loading maps etc, i really dont know much about them I just want to route trips different ways and easiest.

I recently bought a new GPS for my car and it had more/better features than my old one.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

e gps from thenow need to know the best way to wire eccessories

solved, I went ahead and bought a new Zumo 660, hope it works out. now I need to know the best way to wire the gps from the accessories so it is switched with the ignition.

What bike?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arptra View Post
    I'm searching for a GPS and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best motorcycle GPS that I could install routes using map source or other software? considering the Garmin 660ML, thx
    Most popular is Garmin, by far. WHICH Garmin is up to you, but if you don't get a waterproof model, ziplock bag it in the rain so you don't destroy it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

99 1100gs, hate to tie into wires, was hoping to come from the fuse box

Quote Originally Posted by arptra View Post
    solved, I went ahead and bought a new Zumo 660, hope it works out. now I need to know the best way to wire the gps from the accessories so it is switched with the ignition.
    Others disagree, but I think you will regret tying the GPS to switched power. It will turn off every time you turn the bike off - gas stops, etc - which is precisely when I usually set my next destination or waypoint, see how far it is to xxxxx, etc. And meaningful data regarding stopped time, overall average speed, etc also becomes meaningless.

True - if you leave it on for a day or a few it may run your battery down. After the first few times you do that you will remember to shut it off.

I actually added a little toggle switch to the power feed line on my F650 so it killed everything including the charger/transformer wo I didn't have to disconnect things.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Others disagree, but I think you will regret tying the GPS to switched power. It will turn off every time you turn the bike off - gas stops, etc
    Actually, my 660 and 665 ask me if I want them to stay on (battery power) or off every time I switch the key to off. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, so switched power isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have a Nuvi on mine now and with it turned off it still ran my battery down.