Quote Originally Posted by tonycarlos View Post
My advice when asked about filters is to advise the questioner to cut open whatever filter they are considering. I've been doing this for years (I'm cheap, I do it AFTER I use them). Having done so I now almost universally use OE filters, bikes and cars. There is simply MUCH more filter paper inside OE filters than there is in aftermarket ones. Up to 50% more, which translates into 50% more filtering ability.
Now this assume the paper's filtering ability is the same, and of course I can't measure that. But I seriously doubt a discount filter is using better paper than the OE supplier.
The other argument is that the aftermarket filters may be "good enough." This is probably true. BMWs, especially the old bricks, have shown little sensitivity to oil problems, and most of us change it often enough that that alone protects the engine. But if you are interested enough to be reading this thread, one would think you'd want the added piece of mind, if nothing else, that comes with knowing you've got the best filter in your bike that you can buy.
Or maybe that's just me.
Thank you for your comments Tonycarlos. That is one more mark for the OEM filter. What type and year of K bike do you have?

I have to agree with you about the added piece of mind when you use a quality product. That is why we buy Beemers in the first place. Is it not?

You know as I sit here and write this, I have 4 oil filters on my desk. Just holding them you can tell, you get what you pay for. You would be amazed if you could feel the differences between them. Maybe I will cut into some of them to see what you get for your money. Personally, I feel a filter and oil change is cheap insurance for your bike's health. It does not cost very much and can't hurt the bike if done correctly.

There are only about 150 (so I hear) BMW motorcycle dealers in the US. Obviously not everyone can take their bike to a dealer for service. Because of this, I thought it would be fun to research who uses what filter and why. My goal is not to determine who makes the best filter. That is up to each bike owner. I just want to see if there is any sort of pattern or brand preference.