Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping feet warm in cool/cold weather

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    I use a pair of Gore-Tex socks I purchased from REI. I use them while backpacking in cold wet temps so it only made sense to me to use them while riding.
    Snow Mobile Suit and Snowmobile Boots. We wore them on Snowmobiles and Motorcycles In Minnesota in the winter with temps below 0 on occasion. I can never remember being cold on either. Oh don't forget the Snowmobile Gloves also. No kidding, this works well.

If temps are not below 30 you will be too warm unless at highway speeds. Some snowmobile speeds were 60-80 on the frozen lakes. God was that fun! Usually at night after dinner with a bottle of "Snowshoe" for rest stops. Snowshoe--half Peppermint Schnaups and half Christion Brothers Brandy.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

The tiny d-rings on those boots are a pain to lace up,a real pain,they want to flop around while your trying to thread them through the D's. Next to impossible sitting in a tent(no chair) with lowlight etc. I've had mine quite a while but hardly wear them 'cause they're a PITA to lace up. Smartwool socks are great for cold weather.

Rally Rat
    +1 on chemical pack heaters. One pair will last long enough for most rides. I put them on my Christmas list every year and ussually get a full box, which lasts the year.

4. 09-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    +1 on chemical pack heaters. One pair will last long enough for most rides. I put them on my Christmas list every year and ussually get a full box, which lasts the year.
    What are these? Who makes them? How do you put them in boots and have room for feet?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    What are these? Who makes them? How do you put them in boots and have room for feet?
    Grabber mycoal warmers. http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Perfor...7670155&sr=1-4

Have fun.
    Rob R
    1994 K75 My first bike.

Rally Rat
    The ones I have are "Little Hotties Toe Warmers", probably from Walmart. They are thin with an adhesive on one side, so you can stick them in place. Not great to walk on for long periods, as you do feel them, but I forget they are there while riding. They have never made my feet hot or even warm, but I notice they are not cold, which is all I want. Cheap, disposable, work in about any boot.

The downfall to these is that for max heat the need to come out of the boots every once in a while and get shaken to get fresh air. There is a form of combustion going on.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    For reasons too long to tell I once rode a K75 about 80 miles in 8 degree F weather. There were no cylinders for my feet to hide behind.
    I have always found that R bike cylinders and K bike radiators are only effective for heating when the ambient temperature is over 75 degrees.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by rdubarton View Post
    The tiny d-rings on those boots are a pain to lace up...
    With my first pair of Ft Lewis, purchased, in 1996 and retired in 2012, I felt the very same way. Until I found out what "speed lacing" was all about. I found out when a clerk at the Danner Factory Store explained it to me. Now my boots are on and laced in seconds. No more fiddling around with the D-rings.
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

Spent most of my life in snow country including riding 12 mths and lots of ice fishing.

Advice
    1) Get boots with plenty of toe space and avoid cotton socks or other stuff that traps moisture next to your skin.

2) Response of your feet is dependent on how well you protect legs and maintain good heat and circulation there. That means wind protection and good riding pants help. I use RevIts that have both an insulated liner and a windproof rain liner. With the RT weather protection, that is adequate to low 20s but if doing an all day ride in those conditions I add a pair of modern hi tech long underwear to prevent any moisture accumulation near my skin. Preventing moisture accumulation is a key to staying warm.

2) If you can't get comfortable with decent boots/socks and pants, then worry about adding electrics to your feet. I currently ride an RT in temps down to low 20s and do not need electrics on feet. If you ride in teens or less you will end up wanting electrics and you might want them on a naked in temps as high as low 30s. Depends on individual and bike.

For my RT down to low 20s, my BMW All Around boots with Tech Sox are enough. For more extreme conditions or a naked bike at same conditions I'd move first to an insulated boot and then to electrics if boots were not enough.

If you ride a lot, there is a value to convenience. Gimmicky heaters are just one more gadget that can be absent or not working when you need it while proper basic gear will always be ready with your bike.