Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How about #$$HOLE RAGE?

All you people that think you're going to be their blocker to prove a point must not realize that a good percentage of the population shouldn't even be driving because of all the legal meds they are taking, not to mention illegal drugs and general mental states, mood, preoccupation, tension, etc.

You are thinking that they are as rational as you think you are. Trust me, they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    All you people that think you're going to be their blocker to prove a point must not realize that a good percentage of the population shouldn't even be driving because of all the legal meds they are taking, not to mention illegal drugs and general mental states, mood, preoccupation, tension, etc.

You are thinking that they are as rational as you think you are. Trust me, they're not.
    Meds or no meds, booze or no booze, most drivers are so unskilled and unthinking as to be a constant hazard to you and to themselves and others. If law enforcement, using their dash cams for evidence, started ticketing tailgaters maybe folks would learn safe following distances.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Meds or no meds, booze or no booze, most drivers are so unskilled and unthinking as to be a constant hazard to you and to themselves and others. If law enforcement, using their dash cams for evidence, started ticketing tailgaters maybe folks would learn safe following distances.
    Exactly! And, it seems to get scarier by the day. Adding to the collection of the simply stupid and clueless are those distracted by cell phones, digital "pads", etc. that are often seen weaving side to side as they read and write messages to their buddies. Not sure how it might happen but I think we need enforcement of distracted driving laws way more than we need enforcement of speed limits. Yeah, speed enforcement is easier to do but seems more and more like the real killers are those driving with their eyes and minds elsewhere. OK, rant over... sorry :-)

Be careful out there folks!
    Carl

'93 K75RT

Quote Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
    Exactly! And, it seems to get scarier by the day. Adding to the collection of the simply stupid and clueless are those distracted by cell phones, digital "pads", etc. that are often seen weaving side to side as they read and write messages to their buddies. Not sure how it might happen but I think we need enforcement of distracted driving laws way more than we need enforcement of speed limits. Yeah, speed enforcement is easier to do but seems more and more like the real killers are those driving with their eyes and minds elsewhere. OK, rant over... sorry :-)

Be careful out there folks!
    I wonder if the "lack" (dearth) of adequate enforcement is down to excess litigators in the nation. If there are rules about "profiling", etc. and agencies are fearful of lawsuits it will have a definite effect on enforcement.

OK.. would be nice if we could see drivers getting to be better drivers.. ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if multilane highways were marker clearly and people understood slower to right, faster/passing to left.. ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if drivers could be less distracted... ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if drivers understood motorcycles better... ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if roads were becoming less congested.. ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if there were less and less irritated drivers our there... ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if there were less and less drivers who were chemically not as aware as might otherwise been... it ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if there become one culture of understanding of how our highways system works.. it ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if highways were better marked for the safer speeds todays vehicles are capable of.. (well maybe.. Texas is going up to 85), but for the rest of us it ain't gonna happen
    It would be nice if passing lanes on two lanes roads reflected the performance abilities of todays vehicles.. it aint gonna happen
    It would be nice if LEOs would ticket the way we think they should.. It ain't gonna happen..

So.... We can debate all the above ... still, it ain't gonna happen for the most part

SOOOO.. we are left with facing increasing risks on highways.. We can be bullheaded or we can adapt to the safest action we can do at any particular moment. That may mean riding in a fashion that we aren't accustomed to... (Do we need better education and skills). That may mean we have to ride in a fashion that is contrary to how we WANT to ride. That may mean we have to model for others what we wish they would do for us.. (Where else might that teaching happen?) That may mean we seriously need to remember, we are vulnerable and invisible to them and their whims. Debating how we might be better alive riders is at the forefront of the discussion. The discussion of "if only THEY."... whoever THEY is.. "WOULD......." well it ain't gonna happen.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

NCS, are those song lyrics?

All good points anyways.
    The TX limit of 85 is only on a new toll road between Austin and San Antonio that is near completion. We do have several 80's on Interstates however
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Morning Person
    When I flew my own airplane, one of the key mantras for pilots was to "see and avoid". Not "see and confront"...not "see and go...whoa, WTF?" No...avoid! Same with cars and stupid, insane, drugged, crazy people.

We are vulnerable, and a lot of people do NOT like the freedom our riding represents, because many (most?) people are trapped in difficult, unhappy situations and seeing a "free" person is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.

Jack Herbst
    Stupidity is self correcting. Please refrain from being the person doing the correcting. The only person you can control is yourself. Stay in the middle of your lane and refrain from outbursts.

You will live longer, and enjoy life more.

Jack (60 plus years of riding and 1 Million plus miles--still enjoying it)
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Quote Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
    So if middle lane is moving faster than you, move to the right one more lane perhaps?

as in on a 65 mph road, lane 1, to the left typically 75+. middle lane over 70, right lane typically just about 70. If that is the speed of traffic, why would you make yourself more vulnerable by becoming an obstacle?

NCS
    Steady line of traffic in the right lane. Much faster moving in the left. I was keeping pace with the others in the middle, except for the lady behind me. I am certain she would have been up the butt of anyone in front of her. Also, I was doing 72. The limit on I-94 in Detroit is 55. I would not call that impeding.
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

I would call it impeding

Quote Originally Posted by der verge View Post
    Steady line of traffic in the right lane. Much faster moving in the left. I was keeping pace with the others in the middle, except for the lady behind me. I am certain she would have been up the butt of anyone in front of her. Also, I was doing 72. The limit on I-94 in Detroit is 55. I would not call that impeding.
    If she was up your butt, you were impeding her. Get out of the way. I will do anything to get people off my butt, including nailing the throttle and moving over or turning off.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

A few yrs back KY politicos passed one of those "make you feel good" laws stating that you cannot lane sit in the passing lane. As you might guess it is hardly enforced. Truth is that the high speeders that tailgate that lane to get past the lane sitters are as big a problem and probably even more dangerous. I just lay back when riding past the "problem" isn't possible.

Going counter to my own advice about not confronting or trying to "teach" someone driving rules or manners... I have a friend who has been known to keep a few marbles in his upper jacket pocket and when someone behind is driving thisclose he just tosses one with two fingers over his shoulder. No one even sees it being tossed, according to him, and when it hits the windshield they have a "WTF?!" moment and hit the brakes.

I have a buddy who carries steel 3/8 bearings for that purpose. I haven't crossed quite yet into that level of vandalism.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I've heard that hard candy also works well - no evidence left behind...

I had an incident about three weeks ago where a (insert your favorite derogatory here) actually pushed herself into the non-space ahead of me. I shouted out as loud as I could - the road was packed pretty tightly, so EVERYBODY saw and heard - "Hey you stupid (ditto insert) what the (new insert) are you (another insert) doing???" Her boyfriend passenger was staying out of this one, and if I was carrying, I swear she would have instantly had a third eye.

It's really too bad we can't really do anything about it - we could improve the gene pool AND teach a little basic driving respect.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I have a friend who has been known to keep a few marbles in his upper jacket pocket and when someone behind is driving thisclose he just tosses one with two fingers over his shoulder. No one even sees it being tossed, according to him, and when it hits the windshield they have a "WTF?!" moment and hit the brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I have a buddy who carries steel 3/8 bearings for that purpose. I haven't crossed quite yet into that level of vandalism.
    A friend uses pennies for the same effect. I figure that it would simply escalate the situation.

Not my style. You go from being the victim to the aggressor. Who knows what the final outcome might be?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333