Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How about #$$HOLE RAGE?

Nick Kennedy
    When I was a teenager my father sat me down and told me the following:
    NEVER, EVER get into it with someone you don't know, it's just not worth it.
    They could be:
    A. A Karate expert, who could really put the hurt on you in seconds
    B. A coke or meth head, enjoying a 10 day binge
    C. A Violent person with no regards to common civility or common sense.
    D. A gun nut just looking for a excuse to " pop a cap in someone".
    E. Just a bad case of PMS
    F. etc. etc. etc.

This advice has served me well.

Nick Kennedy

Road Rage The Sequel

I was back from "In Country" about 3 months in 1971. I was going under a bridge when an idiot nearly forced me into the side of the bridge. This guy was out of the stereotype book with a powder blue leisure suit and enough hair spray to hold together a Piper Cub; he was driving a Cadillac El Classico (see Austin Powers Goldmember). There was a Stop sign at the other end of the bridge where we both stopped. It is fair to say that after 13 months in the Tropical Paradise, I had some anger issues so I took the " Fred Rogers Approach" and dragged him half-way out of the window to discuss with him "the error of his ways". Before I could begin the "discussion", his wife shouted at him "Bob, you A##hole, i told you you were too close, I hope he hits you, you could have killed him!". At that point, I calmed down, said "Thank you Mam" and proceeded to ride off feeling as if all was right with the world. 41 years later I am a psychologist in charge of a ward of 34 severely mentally ill men. Scarey things Eh?

I agree with Nick's dad. That's pretty much what we've told our kids. There are just to many whackos wandering around.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Ed Kilner #176066
    Maybe there is wisdom in "two wrongs don't make a right".

Certainly might stop an escalation.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    I agree with Nick's dad. That's pretty much what we've told our kids. There are just to many whackos wandering around.
    I'll second that, and would add: Be glad you were born you instead of the other guy!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Red Mazda Miatas ("Jelly Bean" and "Red Hot")
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Quote Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
    It would be nice if drivers understood motorcycles better... ain't gonna happen
    I'm doing another "motorcycle awareness" module at work next week as part of mandatory driver improvement classes given to all employees on a 3-year cycle.

Some of you out there might consider doing something similar, possibly at schools or at those driver improvement classes offered to the public.

I have a PowerPoint presention that reviews the findings of safety studies, and some public service announcement film clips embedded in some of the slides. It goes over fairly well.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

When I am bothered by an aggressive driver I just think he is late for work with his poorly done project which is late, so his boss is going to fire him, and after prolonged failure to find a job due to his mental inadequacies he is going to lose his big house to foreclosure and then his wife is going to take the kids and leave him to go live with her personal trainer she can no longer pay with money.

By the time I think this through he is usually gone, I can grin at his wished for fate, and life goes on.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Wow, never knew you had such a mean streak....
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Getting lost...
    and who knew a wrench-turner had such a wild imagination

Rally Rat
    Getting a license in the states is too easy and too cheap. If folks had to shell out a grand to get one maybe they'd value the privilege more. Of course then a politician would just want to subsidize it so it'd be fair for everyone. I hate dealing with ignorance on the road but unfortunately being on the smaller vehicle I let it go and hope a cop sees it. Bad drivers tend to be a poor judge of distance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
    Getting a license in the states is too easy and too cheap. If folks had to shell out a grand to get one maybe they'd value the privilege more. Of course then a politician would just want to subsidize it so it'd be fair for everyone. I hate dealing with ignorance on the road but unfortunately being on the smaller vehicle I let it go and hope a cop sees it. Bad drivers tend to be a poor judge of distance IMO.
    As Paul said above, bad drivers tend to be bad judges of most things which leads to further bad judgement and a deteriorating life and pain. (imagine Yoda here)
    Last edited by arthurdent; 09-15-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: smily didn't work right

In many places - say NYC, to use one example, it is common practice to pull up through any space possible, then wedge into even the tiniest opening. In other parts of the world, not only some but all of the people recognize no such thing as a line nor of order. ( Ever been to Rome, Italy, or Mexico City, or Saigon? )

Yet we here in the US expect that folks will extend the so called courtesies that we might extend ourselves, unto others. Sorry, it isn't always going to be so. If you REALLY don't want someone squeezing into any space in front of you then do not leave one.

OTOH, folks in general just don't give two hoots about anyone except themselves. As with cell phone talkers, make-up appliers, reading or otherwise distracted drivers, I simply expect what used to be the unexpected ( now the new norm ) and carry on.

Cheers!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I've done a little in Europe and Mexico.
    In Europe, they do have to pay big bucks and go to school, so while I felt a little intimidated at first, I quickly discovered that most of them were actually much better drivers than what the western hemisphere tolerates.
    But I did actually have to avoid a gal in her Mercedes, on the Stelvio, talking on her cell phone!

Question Dear LEO's

While we all appreciate your work, your help, and your willingness to put yourselves in danger on our behalf, I'm curious.

I've been commuting on the tollway recently and several miles are under construction with all the typicals; shifting lanes, narrowed lanes, edge traps, trucks entering and exiting, blindingly bright work lights at night, ultra-confused cagers etc.

Last night about 11:00 pm as i approached the "confusing" transition lane from I 88 (where there was a state trooper parked, hiding to catch speeders), to NB 294...I say confusing because it's only marked with four or five huge lighted signs a mile in advance, and gigantic painted signs on the pavement. Needless to say, most drivers are totally confused here daily. As I approached the NB ramp I slowed considerably because iknew there was an edge trap, and a construction speed limit, and there were three cars in front of me; two ahead of me in the left (NB) lane and one in the right (SB) lane. The guy in the right lane suddenly swerved Left and stopped in between the pylons near , but not actually in the left lane. The two other cars, rather than simply going past, chose to stop in the middle of the tollway. I ran onto the very small shoulder and rather abruptly stopped to avoid their antics. It was easy to anticipate that there'd be stupidity happening there. it happens there all the time with or w/o construction.

As i recovered and passed them, I continued NB and once i passed the construction zone, the traffic was very light, but a few miles later, there was another trooper hiding in the dark just behind one of the slight rises in the roadway, trying to catch speeders.

Here's my Q: Really? Really?

I really don't intend to be disrespectful, but if you read these posts or drive or ride you surely must see the truly weird, waaaaay unacceptably stupid and dangerous antics of drivers everywhere. Why is it that speeding is the only one that gets your attention? Is it because it's the only one you can prove in court? Or the easiest?

Wouldn't it be even easier to just go park by the trouble instead of waiting for it to chance by you?

We constantly see lots of people texting, eating while texting, drinking, texting and drinking, getting stuff off the passenger seat, dawdling in the L lane, forcing other texters to pass on the right, putting on their pantyhose while texting ...everything but driving..

aaaaaaahhh!!! nose bleed!
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    Here's my Q: Really? Really?

I really don't intend to be disrespectful, but if you read these posts or drive or ride you surely must see the truly weird, waaaaay unacceptably stupid and dangerous antics of drivers everywhere. Why is it that speeding is the only one that gets your attention? Is it because it's the only one you can prove in court? Or the easiest?
    I've often wondered the same thing. I see blatant law breaking going on in front of any one of the various law enforcement agencies and nothing happens. Friday, on the way home from work, I see a county guy riding down the concrete median to the turn lane which the Highway Patrol routinely gives tickets for.

All the police vehicles I'm aware of have cameras so it should be to verify what happened.