Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 00 R1100RT Fairing "Toasted"

OK, I don't want to discuss what's "normal" or not (moi??)...
    But I will say:
    If I want to get out of the Los Angeles area, in any direction (except west), I cross a desert (the Mohave). Granted there is airflow, but ambient temps are often over 90.
    I often sit in beach traffic, freeway traffic (yes I do whiteline), and downtown L.A. traffic. This is the land of uneducated idiots and unlicensed drunkards.
    My 1100RT had over 60,000 miles when I sold it - no blisters.
    My 1150RT has over 65,000 miles right now - no blisters.
    I have friends with mild Harleys who can't sit and idle in hot traffic.
    I have a good friend with LOTS of airhead knowledge whose R90S will overheat if stuck in traffic; he refuses to get a larger oil pan or do anything else non-stock; too bad. My two R75's and two R100's never overheated, but those were mild motors. My K75 never had a problem; my K100LT was uncomfortable...
    Watch your temp gauge and let it cool down before damage occurs.
    Ever check your ignition timing? There are how-to articles on this forum & ADVRider. While the slots on the HES are pretty small and don't give a lot of room for change, if it's slammed all the way over to one side or the other, it's probably wrong. Worth a look if one has an overheating issue.
    End of rant...

I am also south of LA. More than you, I believe. Have you ever run Ortega hwy? I did it about 30 years ago, before the walls went up, and lowsided about 6 ft from cliff, have not been back, lol.
    I'm waiting for the heat to go away.
    I get cranky.

I know that I've read about a lot of 1100's that cannot idle due to melting the plastic. Mine seems to do ok in traffic, I can feel the heat pouring off it, though, and mine cannot idle without doing damage to the fairing.
    Both my fins have blisters. I do not know if it was due to me idling the bike when I first bought it, or if they came to me that way. I do not remember smelling burning plastic. It is an rt-p, though. So maybe it sat somewhere before I got it. I don't know if the fan is operable. I've never tried to make it activate, I've never seen or heard it either.
    Didn't they change the fairing clearance-to-exhaust on the 1150?
    2000 R1100RT-P

Thumbs up

My 99 RT - P had about 54K on it when I picked it up in LA and had blisters all over the bottom chin fairing. I suspected it was from sitting around idling with lights flashing. The shark fins were cut off and I've never had them and I don't even worry about it. The bike looks fine without them, easier to work on - I can take the front belt cover off without taking any tupperware off so it's a bonus!
    Brian - Everett, WA
    www.pdq-signs.com
    99 R1100RT - Got Kewl-Aid? IBA - SS1K's, BBG
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Dunno about any change in the clearances around the exhaust & tupperware between the 1100's & 1150's... Looking at mine, it seems to be the same as I recall for my ol' 1100.
    I did stick a scale down there on the left side (the right side is against the wall at the moment), and in two places - pipe to fin, and pipe to outer plastic - the clearance is pretty close, only about 1".

Yeah, I know Ortega pretty well; I'm fortunate to live about in the middle between Ortega/Angeles Crest/Mulholland. Ortega is also where the friend I sold my K100LT to wrecked it, grrr...

Interesting note about cutting the fins - I thought that maybe they were part of Ze Holy Factory's airflow guidance... But I have to pull the bolt from my lower shock mount (since the Ohlins spring is much fatter than the stock unit) to pull the belt cover, so that wouldn't really a big help in my case. I have actually had quantities of gravel get trapped in the insides of the fins, and "fixed" an annoying rattle by turning the fairing sections upside down & rapping on them!

The previous owner of my '96 RT blistered the tupperware. I initially worried about more damage when stuck in slow traffic and high temperatures... I decided to remove the tupperware, clean it well, and then put DEI's high temperature aluminum tape on the surfaces closest to the exhaust pipes, reflecting away heat. I have had not a problem, even in 100 degree temps in very slow moving traffic.

I had also wondered about putting some type of coating like Rhinoliner or some heat resistant stuff on those surfaces.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Once Christmas vacation gets here, I'll probably pull mine and get them ceramic coated. I had them coated by a local firm and it started bubbling in first 5 minutes it ran. I'll do a bit more research this time and ship them off somewhere to get a good coating.
    '02 R1150RT is my ride. Maintaining and restoring 3 K1100LTs, 1 K75RT, 1 K1600GTL, and 1 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for some buddies.

I'd be interested in how that turns out.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I think maybe you answered your own question in the first sentence describing "the fins that direct airflow over the cylinders".

I'm not a design engineer but I strongly suspect they are there for a very good reason on our fully faired bikes. I'm guessing your bike would get less airflow and less efficient cooling without them and so removing them might be a bad idea.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Unhappy I did the header wrap with no real improvement

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Yea my 99RT did the same thing. I purchased a package of header wrap from the local parts store. It takes some time to do it right, but if you follow the instructions carefully, it will turn out very nice. I did mine all the way to just in front of the catolic converter. Heat problem solved!!!
    I wrapped the headers this weekend, but my heat problems seems no better. I have people telling me it will be worse because the wrap makes it even closer to the tupperware. I'm at my whits end with this bike!
    Brian Dewey
    Syracuse NY
    35+ on the road
    2000 R1100RT Current

Quote Originally Posted by JHGilbert View Post
    Once Christmas vacation gets here, I'll probably pull mine and get them ceramic coated. I had them coated by a local firm and it started bubbling in first 5 minutes it ran. I'll do a bit more research this time and ship them off somewhere to get a good coating.
    Jet Hot seems to be the hot ticket crew for this.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by deweybr1920 View Post
    I wrapped the headers this weekend, but my heat problems seems no better. I have people telling me it will be worse because the wrap makes it even closer to the tupperware. I'm at my whits end with this bike!
    wrapping the headers is treating the symptom, not the cause. your bike should not be running so hot as to blister the paint and melt parts.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

aapasquale

booster plug

there seems to be a product called the Booster Plug which will apparently richen up the mixture a bit. If this is the case, and it's also the case that the engine tends to overheat because it's running lean, then is it possible that installing the Booster Plug could rectify some of the heat problem? Anyone know this product enough to comment?
    Thanks, Tony

I think I can answer the question about the booster plug. I believe it makes the exhaust temps lower. I remember one night I was tuning my 1150, turned the light out and the pipes were glowing. I think that was before I put the BoosterPlug on the bike. Mines running so well, syncing the TBs is a pretty quick affair any more. I haven't noticed them glowing since and I've had the BP on for a couple of years now.

And no, I haven't had the chance to ceramic coat the headers yet. It's riding season down here.
    '02 R1150RT is my ride. Maintaining and restoring 3 K1100LTs, 1 K75RT, 1 K1600GTL, and 1 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for some buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    there seems to be a product called the Booster Plug which will apparently richen up the mixture a bit. If this is the case, and it's also the case that the engine tends to overheat because it's running lean, then is it possible that installing the Booster Plug could rectify some of the heat problem? Anyone know this product enough to comment?
    Thanks, Tony
    I know this product well and have three of them, two that Jens (the owner) has given me as loaners. if your bike has an oxygen sensor, a BoosterPlug will not change your exhaust temperature.

An engine runs its hottest at lambda=1 or 14.7:1. It is widely assumed that leaner is hotter but that's not the case. Get the mixture either richer OR leaner than 14.7:1 and the exhaust temperature goes DOWN. A richer mixture allows the extra fuel to cool the exhaust and with a leaner mixture the extra air cools it.

If you would like to borrow a BP for the cost of two-way shipping feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Roger 04 RT; 03-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.