Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: embarrassed to say... Help me with center stand!

Both my bikes smoke noticeably for a minute if left on the sidestand and started in that position.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
    Occasionally I forget about the dynamics of getting my R1200GS up on the center stand and I have to give the rider's manual a quick check, it is all about "...Place full weight of body on center stand while pulling motorcycle toward rear."
    I have an older model (88 R100 RT), and I've found that pulling up AND to the rear is the easiest way to get the bike on the center stand. This is done while stepping on the center stand.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    I have to say after the myriad of bikes I have owned over the years, my new to me R1100RS is the largest bike I have owned and easiest to put on the center stand ever.

Now my old XS650 and CB1100F, those were a total PIA! (go figure)
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

Quote Originally Posted by 20715 View Post
    My BMW's are so perfectly balanced I don't use either stand. I just walk away and they remain upright.
    Please post pics of training wheels.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Check Out You Tube

As a new rider with a F650GS, getting it up is never an issue - getting it off is the issue (I know, my problem - lol). One time I dropped it off to the right side as it came off the stand. You Tube has some great videos of people demonstrating.

I went to the BMW Peformance Center class in SC. They taught us to turn the wheel to the right (taking the bike off the stand) and put the bike in gear. Putting it in gear definitely helps it from rolling when it comes off. I could not remember the rationale for turning the handle bars to the right (one reason is to make it easier to also squeeze the brake when you roll it off the stand.) Here is what they said:

"The reason we push the bikes off the center stand with the bars pointed to the right is so we have a better reach to the bars. Think about when you have the bars straight forwards, you are already reaching over to the front brake extending your arm giving more opportunity to lose balance. When you push the bike off the center stand with the bars locked to the right, you are not reached over and have better manipulation to the controls. Also if you would lose balance, the bike will fall towards you with the bars pointed to the right instead of away from you allowing you to the hold the bike upright with your body weight even if you have lost grip with your hands.

Keep practicing, the center stand will become your best friend."

Check You Tube though for good videos.

I usually roll my bikes backwards slightly before I step on the center stand. The momentum helps a lot.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Self-Balancing BMWs

BMWs are not the only self-balancing two-wheelers. See the attached link which shows the gyroscopically balanced Lit motorcar: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...electric-moto/

Kent

Make sure it is in nuetral!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    no truth to the rumor of higher oil consumption on startup due to oil seeping thru the downward side rings then?
    Our R12S doesn't have a center stand and no smokin' issues, H's R12R and my GSA rarely see the centerstand unless I'm doing a service...neither smoke after sitting still...but they don't sit still often
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

If you continue to have difficulty despite all of the advice you have received, try this. Get a 1/2" thick piece of wood (something like a circular piece from Lowe's or Home Depot meant for making a Lazy Susan) and (in the privacy of your garage) ride the bike onto it so the front tire stops in the center of the piece of wood. Using the techniques described in other posts to your thread, the bike will virtually hop onto the center stand. After a few successful tries with the wood "turntable", you will have the technique and confidence down and won't require the wood any longer.

here ya go

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Bluejayrover (post #20) makes a good point; have the bike in gear when you take it off the center stand. I point the bars straight ahead, left hand on the grip, right hand on handle you use for putting the bike up on the center stand. Feel like I'm more balanced than with both hands on the grips. BUT you don't have a brake, which can be exciting if the ground slopes a bit downhill and you are NOT in gear! Then put down the side stand before you mount up in case a foot slips.

Probably already mentioned in this thread, but DON'T use the center stand unless the ground is truly flat and hard. A little tilt to the right when the right center stand foot hits a soft spot and ... it's over.

Talk to really experienced riders (after you have admitted a dumb mistake or two) and almost universally they cough up several of their own. Some time ago I wrote an article for the ON titled DON'T DROP THE BIKE which also appeared in the Forum. Check it out if this sort of thing interests you. Maybe you will discover a stupid mistake that you haven't made yet!
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Center stand warning

Make sure you have clearance behind you when you put the bike on the centerstand.
    I can't say why I would know about that.
    Robb

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    no truth to the rumor of higher oil consumption on startup due to oil seeping thru the downward side rings then?
    Depends on if you are using synthetic or dinosaur oil...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejayrover View Post
    I went to the BMW Performance Center class in SC.

... Also if you would lose balance, the bike will fall towards you with the bars pointed to the right instead of away from you allowing you to the hold the bike upright with your body weight even if you have lost grip with your hands.
    Hmmm.... so when I lose balance the bike falls on me ? That seems a bit dumb to stand under a 600 pound bike wanting to take a nap, when one loses balance !

In legal terminology that is known as "Assumption of Risk"

I think I will continue to mount up and roll the bike forward off the center stand.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288