Thread: embarrassed to say... Help me with center stand!

Hybrid View

Amateur Veteran

embarrassed to say... Help me with center stand!

Ok, I'm a 210lb male, very able bodied, but for some reason it takes me 3-4 (sometimes more) tries to get my R1200R up on the stand! Why? what am I doing wrong? I swear I've seen 120 girls do this with less effort?

anyone got a trick to this to make it easier?

Jerk and stomp. I combine inertia of the bike and my body weight thrown backward followed by putting all my weight on the centerstand lever.

It's sorta all in the wrist....and the geometry of arm length and inseam
    There is a good Best of Forum on the subject- hope it helps, that and a bit of practice. OM
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38314
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Left Coast Rider
    Put foot on centre stand. grab lift handle. Lift straight up. Done.

Much, if not most, of the work is done by putting your weight on the centerstand with your foot. Think of yourself pushing the bike up, not lifting it up. Be the bike, Grasshopper.....
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Rally Rat
    Occasionally I forget about the dynamics of getting my R1200GS up on the center stand and I have to give the rider's manual a quick check, it is all about "...Place full weight of body on center stand while pulling motorcycle toward rear."

Once in awhile I'll try to pull it up instead of pulling it toward rear. Once I get that, it is a piece of cake.

From the rider's manual...

1. Switch off engine.
    2. Dismount and keep your left
    hand on left handlebar grip.
    3. With your right hand, take hold
    of the rear frame.
    4. Using your right foot, press
    center stand toward rear until
    feet rest on ground.
    5. Place full weight of body on
    center stand while pulling motorcycle
    toward rear.

Amateur Veteran
    ah, it's the weight on center stand thing that I was missing!

works much better now... thanks yall...

Or, just say NO. Your bike doesn't have to go on the center stand. The side stand works just fine.

Voni
    sMiling a Million on the side stand
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
    Occasionally I forget about the dynamics of getting my R1200GS up on the center stand and I have to give the rider's manual a quick check, it is all about "...Place full weight of body on center stand while pulling motorcycle toward rear."
    I have an older model (88 R100 RT), and I've found that pulling up AND to the rear is the easiest way to get the bike on the center stand. This is done while stepping on the center stand.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Make sure it is in nuetral!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Bluejayrover (post #20) makes a good point; have the bike in gear when you take it off the center stand. I point the bars straight ahead, left hand on the grip, right hand on handle you use for putting the bike up on the center stand. Feel like I'm more balanced than with both hands on the grips. BUT you don't have a brake, which can be exciting if the ground slopes a bit downhill and you are NOT in gear! Then put down the side stand before you mount up in case a foot slips.

Probably already mentioned in this thread, but DON'T use the center stand unless the ground is truly flat and hard. A little tilt to the right when the right center stand foot hits a soft spot and ... it's over.

Talk to really experienced riders (after you have admitted a dumb mistake or two) and almost universally they cough up several of their own. Some time ago I wrote an article for the ON titled DON'T DROP THE BIKE which also appeared in the Forum. Check it out if this sort of thing interests you. Maybe you will discover a stupid mistake that you haven't made yet!
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

If you continue to have difficulty despite all of the advice you have received, try this. Get a 1/2" thick piece of wood (something like a circular piece from Lowe's or Home Depot meant for making a Lazy Susan) and (in the privacy of your garage) ride the bike onto it so the front tire stops in the center of the piece of wood. Using the techniques described in other posts to your thread, the bike will virtually hop onto the center stand. After a few successful tries with the wood "turntable", you will have the technique and confidence down and won't require the wood any longer.

here ya go

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Center stand warning

Make sure you have clearance behind you when you put the bike on the centerstand.
    I can't say why I would know about that.
    Robb