Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boot Care

ScienceOfDirt

Boot Care

I like Pecard Oil. Sno-Seal is good to, but I don't like how it leaves things a little sticky, and attracts dust from the type of roads I'm usually on.

Gore-Tex breathing

I have wondered if the idea of Gore-Tex is to let the product breathe why coat the outside of the boot. ?

If you put waterpoofing on top of the leather you might as well have a plastic liner that waterproof but does not allow beathing.

Thoughts ?

na1g
    That's true, but you don't want the leather to become saturated with water. It's a long process to dry it out completely, your feet will be cold, the boots heavy, and having water-logged leather against the GoreTex keeps it from breathing. Plus you will squish when you walk - embarrassing! Products that plug-up the leather's pores aren't good either. That's why products like saddle soap and leather conditioners work to repel water (not waterproof it) and protect the leather but retain its breathability.

Aerostich has an explanation of why DWR (durable water repellent) is important on the outside of a GoreTex textile jacket. Same principle, I believe.

pete

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

According to the makers of SNO-SEAL
    It does not inhibit the breathability of the leather

It works for me

SNO-SEAL
    ÔÇóEnjoy dry feet all day!
    ÔÇóPrevents water from penetrating leather.
    ÔÇóLubricates and conditions leather without softening.
    ÔÇóPreserves and lengthens the life of leather.
    ÔÇóDoes not interfere with the natural breathability of leather.
    ÔÇóExtremely resistant to salt stains and spotting.
    ÔÇóDoes not soften heel counters or box toes.
    ÔÇóWill not damage seams or welts.
    ÔÇóMaintains flexibility in freezing temperatures.
    ÔÇóWill not crack during continual flexing of leather
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Sno Seal is a good product, when the other methods of melting the wax (sun, Oven) aren't available, I use a hair dryer to melt the wax so that it quickly absorbs into the leather. Several coats can be applied in a short time & while the wax is liquefied by the heat you can make certain that it flows into the seams nicely.

I also believe that a "shoe dryer" such as a Peet or a knock off sold by Harbor Freight keeps the boot nice and dry from perspiration or whatever. Moisture retained in the boot/shoe cannot be good for it or you. Dry feet don't smell as bad as wet, & removing the moisture helps avoid foot fungus.

Warm dry boots are one of life's little luxuries.

I don't know how Sno Seal can seal the leather to keep moisture out while at the same time allow the leather to breathe.