Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boot Care

Morning Person

Boot Care

I own and ride in a pair of BMW "Allround" boots. Haven't done anything to them, except wear them. But they're getting a bit soiled, shall we say...

What, if anything, do you riders do to treat your boots? Thanks.

I use Langlitz leather dressing. Langlitz is a family business that's been around a long time: http://www.langlitz.com. Their leather dressing works really well to waterproof and keep the leather supple. I've been using it on boots and jackets since the mid-90's. One tub will last you awhile (I bought three some time back- on sale- this is likely a lifetime supply!). http://www.langlitz.com/leather-dressing/
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

I use Kee-Wee wax on mine a few times a year (in black of course..) Keeps them looking quite nice, and the outside surface isn't the primary waterproofing on these boots, the Goretex liner is.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I use shoe polish and then after that Saddle soap. Saddle soap cleans the leather, weather proofs and softens the leather. It is for all types of leather applications, such as boots, horse saddles, jackets, hats, etc.....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Kiwi Paste products

Nothing short of fabulous! http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite...te-polish.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

I use Obenouf's. I have used it on my wildland fire boots for years. I use an old toothbrush to apply. If it's applied a little too thick use a hair dryer to soak it in. Don't get the leather too warm, or you'll risk damage. I have used the Langlitz product on jackets, chaps, etc. It works well. It is however, (I believe) silicone based. I like the beeswax base for my boots. It's thicker and tends to 'clog' the pores.

I ride in Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. Though they they are not Gore-Tex lined, they have never leaked despite some pretty torrential downpours and deep puddles.

Once a year I give them a good cleaning then give them a thorough treatment with Sno-Seal. There are a lot of bad leather treatments out there, some excellent ones - in my experience, for leather motorcycle boots, Sno-Seal is the best.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

clean boots

This may be over kill but I use several steps. Wipe off the boots and then use saddle soap, then a leather cleaner conditoner,(i use lexol, inexpensive and good quality), then a shoe polish conditioner, kiwi wax and the final step, I use mink oil. It perserves the leather and makes them more waterproof.
    Not every time, but the beginning and the end of the season for sure. During the season a nice coat of shoe polish, maybe a little kiwi or mink oil and you are good as new.
    I have nice Dainese boots and I want to keep them for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Rip; 01-31-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: made mistake about application

Sno-Seal is the best
    I agree with Ted...............Sno-Seal is a great product.

I have been using that product for over twenty five years on all my outdoor footwear
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh View Post
    I use shoe polish and then after that Saddle soap. Saddle soap cleans the leather, weather proofs and softens the leather. It is for all types of leather applications, such as boots, horse saddles, jackets, hats, etc.....
    +1 Saddle soap works great and leaves leather soft and clean. I use it for anything leather.

Hammam
    +1 for Sno-Seal. On warm boots (out of the oven), the wax penetrates easily. Especially important for seams.

Shoe polish will dry the leather, and make the seams wear and break.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I ride in Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. Though they they are not Gore-Tex lined, they have never leaked despite some pretty torrential downpours and deep puddles.

Once a year I give them a good cleaning then give them a thorough treatment with Sno-Seal. There are a lot of bad leather treatments out there, some excellent ones - in my experience, for leather motorcycle boots, Sno-Seal is the best.
    +1
    '02 R1150RT

Leather boot care

1. I get a little warm water, small brush and saddle soap. Lather up the saddle soap and scrub lightly with the brush. Wipe off and let dry overnight.

2. Next morning I apply Obenhauf's leather preservative, sit the boots in the window in the sun, or sometimes if in a hurry I sit the boots on the dash of my pickup (parked in the sun) so they get good and warmed up!! That helps the Obenhauf's soak into the leather.

3. After a day or so in the sun, wipe down to get any of the Obenhauf's (that hasn't soaked into the leather) off. Then, I might use some shoe wax, i.e. Kiwi black paste wax to restore the uniform color and add a nice shine to the boots.

Then you have boots that are clean, treated with a good preservative to extend the life and shed water, and look good!!
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Hey guys, the OP mentioned BMW "Allround" boots. Are you sure ANY of the material is real leather? I also own a pair and like them very much. So far I've just cleaned them up with a damp rag. As mentioned, it is Goretex that makes them waterproof and I wonder if of Sno-Seal (or those other fine products) may make your feet sweat on hot days when the untreated material allows moisture to pass out while keeping water out?

I'm certainly no expert and always willing to learn. Have a feeling there is a difference between "real leather" and some of the other materials used in boots. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Cowboyatheart

BMW All Around boots are made of

Material:
    Outer material: approx 1.8 mm thick leather and Cordura?«.
    GORE-TEX?« membrane.
    Fuel and oil resistant rubber sole.
    Protectors:
    Shin protector, reinforced rear cap, boot tip and ankle.
    Visibility:
    Reflective material at the heels.
    Logo:
    BMW Motorrad embossed at the shaft.
    GORE-TEX?« symbol at the shaft

I have a pair. I wear them. The zipper is breaking down, but they have never leaked in any downpour, no matter if it is 8 hrs or more. Great boots. Cleaning? What's that?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO