Thread: hi-viz and tickets

Hybrid View

hi-viz and tickets

Hi, I recently started commuting with a hi-viz Jacket. Also, I recently ordered a Hi-viz Arai helmet. With the jacket, I noticed that people see me better. For example on Thursday, a T-shirt and shorts Harley rider waved his index finger about one mile from my position. He held his finger up until he passed me. I was surprised he saw me so far off. He waved long before I did. The hi-viz color is annoying, so I am not judgmental on his choice of fingers to wave. But, what worries me is speeding.

Does anyone that recently switched to a hi-vis jacket or helmet notice an increase in tickets ?

I am just curious. Regretfully, wearing a hi-vis helmet may make me slow down.

Gear:
    Hi-Vis Olympia Jacket
    Hi-Vis Arai Signet Q

na1g
    Being hi-viz certainly makes it hard to blend in with the traffic - that's kinda the point. It also makes it easier for Sheriff Andy to single you out and continue visual contact until he catches-up. Or maybe he notes what a conscientious rider you are in your gear and cuts you some slack.

Frankly, I always wear hi-viz with a plain white helmet but haven't noted any increased attraction from law enforcement. My four-wheeler is a silver Honda CR-V which I do believe has saved me a few times. I mean, half the cars on the road around here are silver CR-Vs and they are mostly driven by mobile road hazards, so I might get a free pass. Who knows? Enjoy the added conspicuity and don't swet it.

pete

Love to be seen

Hi viz jacket and flashing lights makes people move over. I don't know why, but I like it.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

If you can see a finger waving from a mile away you should be able to spot speed traps before they spot you and speeding is more apt to earn you a ticket rather than your choice of wardrobe.

>>Harley rider waved his index finger<<

Being a Harley rider, are you sure it was his index finger?

My wife and I were discussing this on the way home just this afternoon (my RT, her GS). I wear a Hi-Viz Schuberth C3, and either a yellow jacket or a blue Darien. Her in a silver C3 and a yellow jacket. Passed quite a few LEOs, including a Trooper shooting radar while we we doing 62 in a 55.

I'm of the view that at least here in Northern VA and DC the LEO's are more predisposed to expect "bad" behavior (speed/weaving/etc.) from (i) sport bikes and (ii) riders *not* wearing much in the way of protective gear.

Put another way, when they see you in Hi-Viz, especially if ATGATT, they seem to subconsciously assess you to be a "safe" rider, and focus on the next car/bike.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rut3556 View Post
    >>Harley rider waved his index finger<<

Being a Harley rider, are you sure it was his index finger?
    Could not believe it was a Harley rider. I find that Harley drivers are afraid to take their hands off the handlebars