Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Photography and motorcycling

I guess the original question was about gear and how others manage it on a bike. . .
    I always take a P&S, usually a Canon G11, in the tank bag where I can get at it easily. I don't take pictures while riding because you'll get a better picture if you stop.
    Depending on where I'm going, I often will also take a SLR with a couple of lenses. The SLR stays in the tank bag with a small prime (usually a 50mm F1.4) mounted, for landscapes or travel shots. The bulkier lenses are either inside the tail bag or in pouches hung off the tail or seat pack, where I can get them out at a stop.

I take a lot of photos, sometimes from very difficult places (like hanging out of airplanes) and I have two suggestions for carrying gear when you need protection without bulk. . . .first, Aquatech soft wraps are neoprene stretch sleeves designed for lenses and camera body that provide protection against water, dust, and general banging around. They dont take up space when not being used, and are ideal for a lens or camera body tossed in your tank or tail bag . The second suggestion is Think Tank modular lens pouches, which are belt-system lens and camera pouches made for professional photographers, very high quality and easy to hang off a tail or seat bag; they come with rain covers and are pretty much indestructible. The advantage of the pouches is that you can get the lenses out without getting off the bike, or pop the pouch off the bike and put it onto a harness or belt if you set out on foot.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

The pillion is in charge of photography. In 9 days she snapped over 1500 photographs from the back of the bike. Seven of them were actually quite good!

A very frantic pounding on my shoulders means , "Go back! I missed the shot of something good!" Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. We did go back to take the photograph of the swinging bridge, but did NOT go back to take the photo of the mamma bear with her tiny cub as they stood along side the road in the rain.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Yes, I take one of my hands off the bars and take pics...when conditions allow.

I wouldn't do it in rush hour traffic...well, I have done that too. Don't folks take the hands off the bars to raise a visor, adjust glasses and such? Don't think it relates to texting inattention at all.

I have been doing it for some time now and most likely will still continue to do so. I also ride my bicycle with both hands off the bars on many occasions.

After hundreds of pics only one camera drop and that was most likely due to it being below 30 degrees and having bulky gloves on.
    I use a P&S and keep it in the tankbag...shoot lot's of pics and toss the ones I don't care for. We do stop and get H's better camera out at times...but for a wide variety of shots its Ride,Point & Shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

and this wouldn't be as much fun stopped

ooops, she has a hand off the bars in this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Just getting my new bike set up, but my plan is to carry a P&S in the tank bag and my DSLR and a lens or two inside an F-Stop ICU in my pannier. I have a backpack that the ICU goes in, and I'll just strap it empty on the back with my duffel. I'll strap my travel tripod on a pannier as well.

When I take photos I'll stop and get off the bike and maybe hike a bit.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

Thumbs up

GO PRO HD with remote. Can be mounted on helmet, body, bike, or hand held. Witha 32gig SD card you can record video for hours. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    GO PRO HD with remote. Can be mounted on helmet, body, bike, or hand held. Witha 32gig SD card you can record video for hours. Ride Safe
    Just got the remote for mine and am looking forward to plating with it.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

Qualified Fecal Stirrer KBikeKev's Avatar
    Kevin Wood
    MSG U.S. Army, Ret.
    BMWMOA 131753, ABC 129393
    99 K1200RS, 71 R60/5, 85 K100RS - SOLD

One of the questions was how do you carry your camera gear. I carry only a DSLR and I carry it in a soft lunch cooler that is the size of a 6-pack. It either goes in the tankbag or the tail box. If I take it out it looks like I am carrying my lunch.

I aquired an attitude about my cameras while living in a third world country. My buddies were carrying their Nikons in these fancy aluminum cases the just as well had a sign on them that said " Valuable, Snatch, and Run". I converted an overnight makeup suit case into my camera kit. It contained 1 SLR. 2 lenses, a small tripod and film. There probably isn't any thing in a makeup case that is worth stealing.

My Mother-in-Law looked at it and said "So why didn't you use a diaper bag.?
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel

RiderBackUp

Keeping camera handy for photos whilst oot 2-wheeling

I have been known to take my Canon 7D DSLR with my Canon 17-40L 4.0 wide-angle lens attached, sling the whole rig around my neck when I'm in an area where fastastic scenery abounds, and traffic is "very light to none." I don't recommend doing it unless you are very, very comfortable with your bike's operation. I suspect many will criticize this practice, which is fine, but to each according to his own abilities. I believe it would be much more comfortable and easier to do this with a small rig like the Canon G3, which I also own. Another good use for the G3 is attaching the camera in whatever method you can find..say, the back luggage rack, or back panel if you don't have the rack, and set it in movie mode, and film your ride. I've done this a number of times in recent months, and its a tad cheesy and wind-noisey if you don't have a special sound mike, which I do not. But its ok for a fledgling effort. I'll attach one for perusal if I can figure out how on this site......Stephen Hill ( Boone, NC )

When I would go on vacation with my wife and kids when they were small, we'd take two diaper bags. Mine had the camera gear in it. Also works if the kids are older or even if there are no kids. Nobody will give a pink diaper bag a second look.

The only "problem" I had was at Busch Gardens Virginia one day when I left the bag on a park-type bench and walked maybe 12 feet away with my camera to take a photo of the Clydesdales. When I turned around it was gone. A security guard had picked it up and dropped it off at the next guard post in the park and I was quickly reunited with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hhshort View Post
    One of the questions was how do you carry your camera gear. I carry only a DSLR and I carry it in a soft lunch cooler that is the size of a 6-pack. It either goes in the tankbag or the tail box. If I take it out it looks like I am carrying my lunch.

I aquired an attitude about my cameras while living in a third world country. My buddies were carrying their Nikons in these fancy aluminum cases the just as well had a sign on them that said " Valuable, Snatch, and Run". I converted an overnight makeup suit case into my camera kit. It contained 1 SLR. 2 lenses, a small tripod and film. There probably isn't any thing in a makeup case that is worth stealing.

My Mother-in-Law looked at it and said "So why didn't you use a diaper bag.?

Diaper Bag

So your saying the a diaper bag might not even be safe. Harold in Kansas
    Harold In Kansas
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel