Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photography and motorcycling

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I guess you don't bother with protective clothing either with a line of thinking like that about the camera....
    You assume a lot, eh?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Nah, it's not assuming, it's deducing from some information already provided.

Nah, it's not assuming, it's deducing from some information already provided.
    deduce
    verb
    conclude, reason, work out, infer; glean, divine, intuit, understand, assume, presume, conjecture, surmise, reckon; informal figure out.

Whatever you call it, your conclusion is wrong.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Cowboyatheart
    I am currently in Montana. I live in BC. So you can imagine how surprised I was to see 75 mph speed limits, in a state heavily populated with BIG animals. And I ATGATT and preach it. So guess what I saw today. Not only HD, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki riders BUT a honest to goodness BMW R1200 GS rider with only sunglasses on blasting by me at over 85 mph (clothes too)

So where am I going with this. Well I have my opinion of what is safe and what someone SHOULD do or not do. Perhaps I can learn to keep my opinions to myself.

Here is my thought, these forums should focus on safety and all things of riding pleasure and technical help, not negative comments about others riding habits.

Just saying...
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

The last trip I took, I had four cameras with me.

-- Cell Phone Camera (wasn't used for anything but I still had it)

-- GoPro HD - mounted for moving shots and videos

-- Panasonic Point and Shoot Digital - kept in the tank bag for quick moments to stop and photograph something when there's no nearby place to safely pull over and pull out my last camera;

-- Canon Rebel EOS T2I w regular lense and a telephoto lense.

The camera bag for the Canon and all related equipment fits perfectly into either side case of my RT. I travel with it in the right side case as it's easier to access when the RT is leaning to the left side.

Others have commented here about how simple and easy it is to pull out a small point and shoot while riding. Personally, that's not for me. I'll find a place to stop for the pictures I want. The pictures of others riding motorcycle I've taken while moving (either forward or to the side) were done with my mounted GoPro. Prior to taking the pictures we would all do a safety briefing on what was going to happen, how it was going to happen, where it was going to happen and how I would be interacting with them while getting the pictures.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by royaltyl View Post
    If you all were out on a less-traveled road and you spotted a scene you wanted to capture, would you stop? Pull to the side, even if there was no or very little shoulder, turn on the flashers and take the shot? So many times I have seen a picture and there was no place to pull over. I use a Canon 40D and it is not a P&S camera and it is too heavy to use one-handed.

Larry
    Larry, I use a Canon SX260 HS p&s camera. Many are outstanding nowadays. I no longer bring hefty cameras. I value how a p&s camera can fit in a jacket pocket. It typically is either there or in the tank bag, but I don't take photos with one hand while on the move. I've done it before, but I prefer not to. Sometimes I extract a still out of the helmet cam. Anyway, when I see the sunlight, the clouds, the colors, the road, etc. come together I'll pull over onto the shoulder, reach in the pocket or the tank bag, and capture the setting.

A couple of days ago, when noticing early signs of autumn...

What do you photographers do to protect your camera and lenses? How much camera gear would you take on a trip? I saw a DVD of Helge Pedersen in Iceland and I was amazed at the amount of camera equipment he was carrying. Couldn't figure out where he kept it.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    What do you photographers do to protect your camera and lenses? How much camera gear would you take on a trip? I saw a DVD of Helge Pedersen in Iceland and I was amazed at the amount of camera equipment he was carrying. Couldn't figure out where he kept it.
    This can definitely be an issue, I destroyed two bike mounted cameras when the automatic lens covers got jammed with bugs. Both were repairable, but required a visit to a Canon Tech.

Around my neck, I usually carry a G11, and sometimes the DSLR when I'm in rural areas away from traffic and typical riding hazards.

Typically, I have a couple of GoPro and a couple of p&s, usually the high zoom Sony and sometimes the DSLR.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    deduce
    verb
    conclude, reason, work out, infer; glean, divine, intuit, understand, assume, presume, conjecture, surmise, reckon; informal figure out.

Whatever you call it, your conclusion is wrong.
    It wouldn't be the first time.
    Anyway, I hope you stay safe and your Canon doesn't injure your neck and my tax dollars don't wind up taking care of your extended care requirements.

It wouldn't be the first time.
    Anyway, I hope you stay safe and your Canon doesn't injure your neck and my tax dollars don't wind up taking care of your extended care requirements.
    There you go again, bro. I have good health insurance.

I don't always ride with the thing, you know. Seldom, actually.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

There you go again, bro. I have good health insurance.

I don't always ride with the thing, you know. Seldom, actually.
    I'm also into photography and actually looking to fit a camera to the bike or the bag. Gotta get acquainted to the new bike more before I choose some solution.

Don't anyone worry that tommy and I are not playing nice. We're just funnin' with each other...
    Last edited by ClassicVW; 09-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Very little. My DSLR and lenses are kept in a Touratech tail bag that sits on the rear deck of my GS (rear saddle has been removed). My one attempt at protection was to put some bubble wrap on the bottom of the tail pack and a sheet of thin foam over the bubble wrap.

The cameras and lenses have held up fine and my riding sometimes include rocky, rough dirt roads (and bike crashes that sometimes occur on such roads).

I'm also into photography and actually looking to fit a camera to the bike or the bag. Gotta get acquainted to the new bike more before I choose some solution.
    There's an Aerostich clamp on thingie that has a 1/4-20 stud for camera mounting. I've used that quite a bit, but don't recommend it unless you have a real lens cap, not one of those built in things. Tethering the camera is also a good idea. Bike attachment works better with a lighter camera, better yet waterproof like the Canon D-20.

The main advantage of carrying the camera around your neck is that your whole body acts as a shock absorber. The disadvantage is that it bugs CVW.

You should also set the camera for fast shutter speeds or one of the "action"modes that come with the common P&S cameras. And no matter what, you're going to be throwing away 75% of your shots.

Helmet mount for the GoPro (and similar) can work well if you edit out all the head turns and avoid riding into the sun. The adhesive mounts are quite secure and you can face the camera either fore or aft on the same mount. The mounts can also be removed without a trace, but they're a bugger.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Tom,

Heavy fishing line will help you get that mount off easier. Use it like a saw but would not recommend wrapping the ends around the fingers.

Helmet mount for the GoPro (and similar) can work well if you edit out all the head turns and avoid riding into the sun. The adhesive mounts are quite secure and you can face the camera either fore or aft on the same mount. The mounts can also be removed without a trace, but they're a bugger.
    Mack McDonald
    Garland, Tx.
    04 1150 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by m0rbid45 View Post
    Tom,

Heavy fishing line will help you get that mount off easier. Use it like a saw but would not recommend wrapping the ends around the fingers.
    Thanks, Mack. Did you buy an HD2? I know I told you the HD was overrated last year. I do like the HD2 much better.

-Tom (KA1TOX)