Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sorry Everyone '95 K75 Oil?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Leaks are caused by the condition of the seals. Slippery synthetics are less forgiving of hardened seals, but the oil doesn't CAUSE the leak, bad hardened seals do.

Higher mileage is actually better for seals than just sitting for years.

Choosing oil based on leakage vs performance is not the choice I would make, but each person has their own priorities.
    You are right. Synthetic oil doesn't CAUSE the seals to leak but they do ALLOW the seals to leak. It didn't matter to me why they were leaking, it only mattered to me that they WERE leaking.

I considered the choice of oil based on leakage vs performance and I had the following choices:

1. Continue to use synthetic in my K bike and let the rear seal leak so it would drip on my garage floor and possibly get on my clutch.

Continue to use synthetic in my Airhead and let the pushrod tube seals continue to leak onto my garage floor and motorcycle.

2. Continue to use synthetic and spend hundreds of dollars having the seals replaced on both bikes.

3. Change to conventional oil, have the leaks stop and ride for many troublefree years.

I chose to return to using conventional oil. I sold the drip free K bike a year later and I have had my drip free Airhead 14 years since I changed back to conventional oil.

I'm not against using synthetic oil if you want to do so but I'm just saying if you do and the seals leak, you may save money and aggravation by switching back to a conventional oil.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    You are right. Synthetic oil doesn't CAUSE the seals to leak but they do ALLOW the seals to leak. It didn't matter to me why they were leaking, it only mattered to me that they WERE leaking.

I considered the choice of oil based on leakage vs performance and I had the following choices:

1. Continue to use synthetic in my K bike and let the rear seal leak so it would drip on my garage floor and possibly get on my clutch.

Continue to use synthetic in my Airhead and let the pushrod tube seals continue to leak onto my garage floor and motorcycle.

2. Continue to use synthetic and spend hundreds of dollars having the seals replaced on both bikes.

3. Change to conventional oil, have the leaks stop and ride for many troublefree years.

I chose to return to using conventional oil. I sold the drip free K bike a year later and I have had my drip free Airhead 14 years since I changed back to conventional oil.

I'm not against using synthetic oil if you want to do so but I'm just saying if you do and the seals leak, you may save money and aggravation by switching back to a conventional oil.
    Of course repairing the leaky seals never entered into your consideration. That tells me your opinion on the merits of synthetic oils is based on faulty logic and therefore of no value.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    My wife loves Wal-Mart. I try to avoid the place. When we were dating, she wanted a new TV and was going to buy it there. I suggested that we shop just a little more. We ended up with a TV set for almost 100 dollars less. Same brand name, bigger screen, better resolution, less money. Wal-Mart is not always the cheapest.

Poor quality and bad service are remembered much longer than a great price. Service and quality are what I am looking for when I spend my money. Wal-Mart does not cut it. Training in customer service is lacking and their staff is spread too thin. I have found better prices and better quality at local stores. Better service too. I do not even consider hardware from anything but one local store.

I guess Wal-Mart can be a blessing in some areas of the country. In my community, it has given us poorer quality products and less stores to choose from. What about all the people that are out of a job and on the dole because of places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot?
    As much as I dislike Wally World, I cannot sing any praises for the local small businesses where I live. In short, they are arrogant, over priced and have lousy service and selection because they think that because our city is isolated, they have you. Well, they don't. Most of us drive the hour and a half to the larger metropolitan area to buy what we need.

The local Chamber of Commerce whines about what they call "leakage", locals taking their business out of town instead of patronizing the local thieves. Well, this weekend I needed a new inner tube for the R-80G/S and no one in town had one. I had to make a three hour round trip south to obtain one, and the price was better than that of any of the local thieves. For the car tires I want I have to travel two hours to Bakersfield and you know I don't go to that garden spot unless it is unavoidable. Bakersfield is the rectum of California and Oildale, Delano and Wasco are it's hemhorriods.

We have a Wally World and, with the exception of pet supplies, I avoid it studiously. Still, if Trader Joes or Target were to open a store here I would cheer while thumbing my nose at some of the local thieves. They deserve to lose the business.

I thought Camp Roberts was the rectum of Califor.....No wait, that would be the arm pit
    of California. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    I thought Camp Roberts was the rectum of Califor.....No wait, that would be the arm pit
    of California. Sorry.
    Camp Roberts, for all it's faults (though it is being resurrected with new construction and some innovating rehabing of existing structures) at least is close to the ocean and San Luis Obispo and has nice ocean breezes. It's physical setting is quite lovely. But Bakerspatch? The only nearby ocean is an ocean of liquid cow manure up the road at "Cowschwitz", the Harris Ranch feed lot or it's near twin on Hwy 99 up near Fowler. Oil, farming, trucking, a 9% university degree rate and the Buck Owens sound, that's Bakersfield. Yee-haa.

Folks,

This thread has wandered seriously off-topic (perhaps my fault..) Lets try and keep it to the topic of the thread..

Thanks for your cooperation!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Folks,

This thread has wandered seriously off-topic (perhaps my fault..) Lets try and keep it to the topic of the thread..

Thanks for your cooperation!
    It's not a professional discussion, it's more like a family dinner. Diversions are half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Themason View Post
    It's not a professional discussion, it's more like a family dinner. Diversions are half the fun!
    It's become like a family dinner discussion - but those are a better fit to the Campfire section of the forums. This is supposed to be a tech forum, so keeping it at least marginally on-topic makes the discussion more useful to those seeking tech info..

Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I'm going to the V-Rod forum. This place is too locked up. Potty training must have been brutal !