Thread: greasing airhead swingarm bearings

Hybrid View

Tom Durrant

greasing airhead swingarm bearings

I got frustrated and haven't greased them nearly enough. Today, I removed the pins, cleaned them, drilled an 11/32" hole just down to the hex. I was able to partially thread the hole with a 1/8" tapered pipe tap (standard) I had to grind the end of the tap off a little to get as many threads in as I could. Now I can screw a standard grease fitting enough to hold it. I put a grease gun on and forced some grease in. Of course the fitting gets removed and the cover replaced. Next time, I'll pick a bit of the grubby grease in the hole out and I'll be able to pump some fresh grease in.

I know you just went through all that work, but this works wonders:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conical-Shap...item27ca257fc6

Works on the swingarm bearings and is small enough at the tip to work on the rear brake pedal grease fitting as well, even got it to work on standard zerk fittings (like on a /6 clutch actuator arm). Took a little while to receive it from China, but the shipping was free and it works great for me
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Typ181R90 View Post
    I know you just went through all that work, but this works wonders:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conical-Shap...item27ca257fc6

Works on the swingarm bearings and is small enough at the tip to work on the rear brake pedal grease fitting as well, even got it to work on standard zerk fittings (like on a /6 clutch actuator arm). Took a little while to receive it from China, but the shipping was free and it works great for me
    Any auto parts house will have tip like this.

Don
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Quote Originally Posted by tomdurrant View Post
    I got frustrated and haven't greased them nearly enough. Today, I removed the pins, cleaned them, drilled an 11/32" hole just down to the hex. I was able to partially thread the hole with a 1/8" tapered pipe tap (standard) I had to grind the end of the tap off a little to get as many threads in as I could. Now I can screw a standard grease fitting enough to hold it. I put a grease gun on and forced some grease in. Of course the fitting gets removed and the cover replaced. Next time, I'll pick a bit of the grubby grease in the hole out and I'll be able to pump some fresh grease in.
    Sounds like a lot of work modifying something that already has a grease hole in it.

Why didn't you just spend $5 on the correct tip for your grease gun?

Regards, Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class