Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Riding Fatigue

I have switched the way my bars are bolted on, counter clockwise one hole for the left bar, clockwise one hole for the right bar. They point pretty much 45 degrees back, maybe a little more. This worked for me, although it requires me to reach a little for low speed drastic turns.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

I rode 900 miles to the rally in July. The temperature was over 100F. I had full gear. I was sweating like a pig. But, I was drinking a lot of water. While riding, I had a camel back on and would sip it until it was gone. When my water was gone, I would stop and fill it up the camel back and repeat. My water breaks forced me to stop every 50-100 miles. On arriving at my hotel that evening, I was not really tired, or sore. In contrast, on the last day of my ride home I followed a guy that did not take breaks. I went two hours without a break. This ruined my day. By afternoon, I was exhausted. and sore. To recover, I had to take a few very long breaks, rehydrate, and eat. Taking frequent breaks makes riding more fun. Also frequent breaks give the rider an opportunity to replenish the body with water and the needed electrolytes. A happy rider is a more attentive rider.

Anyone else have this happen to them?...Fidster
    I had a pair of Marmot Mountain Works ice climbing gloves that would put my hands to sleep, I think because they were a bit tight. I used them for rain.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Morning Person
    I realized after reading something in this vein that I was not breathing properly. When riding the canyons, I was so focused that I breathed very shallowly. When I realized I was holding my breath at times, it was a simple fix to pay attention to my breathing...and it prevented fatigue.

Same thing happened when I was flying...during some maneuvers requiring intense focus, I'd hold my breath. I'd be tired after landing, and it took some time to figure out why...

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Do you guys get that after a highly focused ride on the twisties, too?
    Even though I've been doing this for a while, at the end of a long day where the whole day of riding is nothing but twisties and switchbacks, I'll start making mistakes and will slow down.

This is the road I take at the end of a long 350 mile day. That would be considered a short day here, but in the Alps on roads like this, you are easily looking at 9 hours with a couple of breaks.

Not my videos...
    Part 1

Part 2

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Even though I've been doing this for a while, at the end of a long day where the whole day of riding is nothing but twisties and switchbacks, I'll start making mistakes and will slow down.
    Thanks for the vids, Alex. Makes me want to get out there and sweep the roads!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

A big risk when one is tired and or dehydrated is that someone in that condition lacks the ability to judge their personal road-worthiness. Similar in many ways to alcohol intoxication. A numb brain is not a good thing.

The Iron Butt Association has on it's site an excellent set of guidelines for long distance riding.

As far as numbness of the hands, the last year or so I am having this in my right hand. No changes in the bike, grips or gloves. I have concluded that is due to some type of deterioration related to my age. The numbness is quickly dealt with by a good "shake out" It's just a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I think a certain level of fitness is important for distance riding. Heat, wind buffeting, vibration, continually concentrating, it takes it out of you.

Core fitness will help prevent back issues.

Also, as we age, we lose muscle mass (Sarcopenia), and anaerobic workouts can reduce the loss.
    I read through this entire thread, hoping the SOMEONE would mention fitness. I am happy to see that water and hydration made multiple appearances.
    The two combined, make for a MUCH better over all life- not to mention motorcycling, and yes, even (God forbid) golf.

While I take some of the hydration hype with however many grains of salt, I honestly feel water cannot be pushed too hard. While I wouldn't drink a gallon a day- or two, a steady flow of water in one's world WILL absolutely make a HUGE difference in your over all well being. This is not BS- it is completely realistic.

Same for fitness. Pilates is great for core strength- heck just walking will make a world of difference in your life. Walking (or any kind of cardio), some weights, and pilates will transform you. Toss in some yoga and you will be a totally new person. You'll stay strong, flexible, and ready to do anything you like. You can ride, golf, or whatever- and never have another next-day "crash".

For the record, I am no foo-fooey new age-er, but a regular guy who likes to stay strong so I can continue to work hard and play as I want. I'm 56, BTW- maybe a little younger than some of the posters here...

OK, get this down- next then, we'll work on diet, and food intake!

In all seriousness tho- I believe firmly in all the above.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World