Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
Next time that happens, I'd suggest some 5 Hour Energy. I'm not a fan of these energy drinks but recently on several long days of travelling, I finally tried one on the advice of my husband. They taste awful (waaaay too sweet) but they do give you an extra dose of energy with no nasty side effects like jitters or "crashing". Surprisingly, it also did not keep me from sleeping when bed time came.
On the way home during the ride I mentioned, I felt the onset of fatigue (most likely hypoglycemia and dehydration). I did stop and buy a bottle of water and a Snickers bar (normally I don't eat stuff like that, but I know it can provide a quick energy recovery due to the high sugar/fat content - Everest climbers have been known to eat sticks of butter with sugar on them for recovery). This gave me a quick boost and saw me home in good shape. But the problem with solutions like that is the ultimate energy crash when it wears off. I took a lunch, but it wasn't large enough, obviously. Learning process...