Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riding Fatigue

Morning Person

Riding Fatigue

Admittedly I'm just now getting my riding "legs" back after a long time away from riding, so bear that in mind. However, I've noticed that while riding 100 miles (50 each way) in the canyon is exhilarating while I'm doing it, today I bonked while out on the golf course...which I attribute to yesterday's ride.

Do you guys get that after a highly focused ride on the twisties, too?

I think you are trying to tell yourself you need to be riding motorcycles...
    not chasing a little ball around a cowpasture.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    I think you are trying to tell yourself you need to be riding motorcycles...
    not chasing a little ball around a cowpasture.

Ken
    You win the prize, Ken...but what I want to know is how you figured me out so fast! It's true that since I started riding again, golf seems, well...pedestrian?

Nickname: Droid
    Riding motorcycles versus golf (A good walk wasted, Mark Twain). I see the cycle ride as a much more beneficial activity.

But then, I really suck at golf. And I am never more confident and comfortable than when I am riding. Heh, go figure.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Admittedly I'm just now getting my riding "legs" back after a long time away from riding, so bear that in mind. However, I've noticed that while riding 100 miles (50 each way) in the canyon is exhilarating while I'm doing it, today I bonked while out on the golf course...which I attribute to yesterday's ride.

Before I changed windscreens to ones that greatly reduced wind noise, I used to be exhausted after returning from a long ride. Earplug use also helps reduce the tiring effect of the ride. Also remember that if you are riding those twisties hard, you are exerting a great deal of concentration, which also could contribute to your tiredness the following day.

Normally, I just don't get a good night's sleep. However, when on bike trips, I get my best sleeps of the year, even if they are on an air mattress or a somewhat less than comfy motel bed. I put it down to the fresh air and full attentiveness to my ride.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Yes I get tired.. and to that end, I try to prepare before a ride by good rest and diet, days before if possible. If planning the route, I try to make the route less demanding and technical later in the day. I have found that rather than riding with only stops for an empty tank, I balance the day with a quick stop for a drink. later for a pee, later for gas, later for food. I try to stop before I am truly hungry or truly thirsty. Stopping like this over an 8-9 hr ride only adds maybe 30 minute to the must stops that occur.

Also on some trips I realized I was getting more fatigued that I would like to be, I would seek a route that was easier or shorter than planned and make an extra stop or two.

Honor fatigue once it arrives, don't keep pushing and ignoring it. Also work to delay the onset.

About the tiredness of the next day at golf, (I agree, a good walk wasted), that can also occur on a multi-day trip. Plan and react accordingly.

Keep it safe, have fun.. and let your hooligan out from time to time.

NCS
    Last edited by NCStephen; 09-06-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Fatigue

Me thinks some of the fatigue is due to age, I hate to mention that but it is true. The heat of the summer contributes to fatigue even while doing other outdoor activities in summer temperatures.

Out of practice; if I haven't ridden any distance for a few weeks it hits me harder than if I had been riding weekly, not a long trip but a few hours at a time keeps one in shape.

Just my opinion................
    Gene T

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Dont mess with my Zen thing, man. It's the whole point, is it not?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Rally Rat
    I used to try and play golf but then I got wise and started riding. I know golf is popular with the business types but it ain't for me.

I rode about 300 miles last weekend, the first in several months. It slap wore me out. So when it isn't raining I'm taking after work rides to keep the chops up an hopefully build back some stamina. I second diet being VERY important as well.

You mention riding twisties...could be adrenelin rush, and then fatigue, but I wouldn't think it would happen 24 hours later.

When getting myself in shape for IBA rides, I'll start off at about a 300 mile day, then bump it up to a 600 mile day a couple of days in a row. The 600 ones usually fatigues me the next day. I've also been known to stop alongside the road and have a nap quiet frequently too!

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Morning Person
    My wife and I have played golf together for years. That said, I have to admit that if I HAD to choose between them tomorrow, riding would win. I may be in trouble...

Maybe I'll just play once a week, and ride 3 or 4 times...yeah, that's the ticket!

Remember that motorcycle riding is very dehydrating.

And, I suspect you'd be almost as "bonked" after 100 miles on a straight interstate on a hot day. Maybe more.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Oh, the problems some guys have!
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Thumbs up

Be it a 150 mile day or 500 miles I always sleep better that night. Many times when returning home in the summer heat and humidity I've elected to stay at a motel even when less than 200 miles from home. A good meal, ice cold a/c, a nights rest, and the next morning I'm refreshed and ready to complete my journey. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

something to help

Next time that happens, I'd suggest some 5 Hour Energy. I'm not a fan of these energy drinks but recently on several long days of travelling, I finally tried one on the advice of my husband. They taste awful (waaaay too sweet) but they do give you an extra dose of energy with no nasty side effects like jitters or "crashing". Surprisingly, it also did not keep me from sleeping when bed time came.