Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 286

Thread: It's BMW Scooter Time!

  1. #256
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    I actually don't mind the Wunderlich bars, though the stickers are obviously not for everyone...

  2. #257
    What, me worry? GILLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Evansville, WI
    Posts
    1,918
    The first bike looks pretty sweet, I guess this would just be considered a "BMW Motorad" color scheme (?)
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

  3. #258
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,876
    / mod hat on /

    Well folks, we survived the forum transition! How about opening up the Scooter Forum! It's located in the Garage towards the bottom...the only place that I could find!

    Now it's time to go Twistin'!!

    / mod hat off /
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #259
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    1

    Engine Fault Light??

    On the trip home from dealer/delivery, stopped to refuel and my engine fault light came on, began running rough, died, wouldn't re-start. After 10 min. or so, got it started, the fault light went out and I was good to go (I thought). Went to AZ for the winter, and with approx. 1200 mi, the engine fault returned. I took it in to dealer to check for fault codes, found an ignition coil and oxygen sensor faults. Apparently one of the coil wires on one of the spark plugs was not firmly inserted, probably from the factory. Dealer felt the oxygen sensor fault was due to coil fault. After properly seating the coil wire, faults were reset, and I rode it home 120 mi. Have not had the opportunity to ride again but believe the problem is solved.



    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to be mellow about it but I'm a bit concerned - the bucking and surging would be one thing and bad enough already if it repeated, but dying on you is quite another and IMHO, nontrivially dangerous - if I'd been entering a turn before traffic, this is how you get killed, and when I called the dealer, they asked if I could reproduce it and when I said no, the service guy said he wasn't sure what he could do for me, which was not reassuring. (So, what, I drive a bike that may die with no apparent cause at any moment until either I have a wreck or I can reliably kill it somehow but manage not to get killed?) My wife is actually unhappy and wants me to bring it in and leave it until they find something, I'm going to have the first service done in two weeks anyway so I'll wait until then and hopefully they'll catch something.

    Much obliged for anyone with any ideas about what would cause this - my first thought was bad fuel pump but not sure this would cause the instant shutoff like that. I also had a hose in an odd place behind the left side glove box which I moved to the left because it was in the way of the box closure, perhaps some wiring or vacuum in there or something is loose? I also noticed at one point that after putting the third tank of gas in it, it suddenly seemed to be running smoother, but the dying was after that tank. Bad gas? Reaching for possibilities here...

  5. #260
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Interesting! If the stall ever returns, I will definitely have him check this, though in my case, there was no fault, it just died.

    Right now it's running great (put another 150 miles on it since picking it back up from the dealer), and I'm in love with it again - oddly, it feels like it might be running stronger or more smoothly after the FI readaptation. Maybe it's just breaking in. (He also mentioned that he'd adjusted the idle stepper motor, so there's another idea for anyone experiencing this and looking.)

    Yesterday I gained a new appreciation for how tricky BMW makes it on the dealers on these new models - for the scooters, they changed the design of the lock on the top case, and it ended up taking the tech quite a while to install a lock that he said takes them all of 2 minutes on the older models (he installed it while I watched & chatted). I've now got the top box and GPS installed, just waiting for the protection bumpers to arrive.

  6. #261
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    pensacola
    Posts
    52
    what are 'protection bumpers'?

  7. #262
    Jeff Wilson life member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Richmond Hill Ontario Canada
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post

    Yesterday I gained a new appreciation for how tricky BMW makes it on the dealers on these new models - for the scooters, they changed the design of the lock on the top case, and it ended up taking the tech quite a while to install a lock that he said takes them all of 2 minutes on the older models
    I ordered my lock in October and got it 4 weeks later. The key would jam in and not come out or the extreme opposite the key would not go in. The dealer ordered a new lock, same thing the lock was no good the key goes in the tumbler that cost about $58. When inserted into the sleeve the key would not come out. If the tumbler was in the sleeve the key would not go in. The little tabs I figure are to long and they jam against the wall (or the keyway is to shallow) and will not let the key move. I told (and shown) the dealer and he has sent it back to Germany for the second time. Let's see what happens in January when the 3rd lock arrives.

    I am glad it is not touring season and it is a must have situation
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

  8. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    There were missing parts on mine and also the lock apparently had one tumbler standing proud on mine too (the little tabs you're talking about) - he may have tweaked this though the lock is not supposed to be serviceable. The key is a little rough to insert, but it does go in and turn the lock, and hopefully it will smooth with time. Hopefully your third time is the charm!

  9. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    what are 'protection bumpers'?
    If you look in the accessory catalog (PM me and I'll send you a copy if you don't have one), you'll see they make plastic fittings that bolt to the fairing to protect the plastic in a tipover. They're horrifyingly expensive, but I've had a bike knocked over when I wasn't there before, twice, and after seeing what fairing panels cost I figure it's cheap insurance amortizied over the life of the bike.

  10. #265
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    pensacola
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
    If you look in the accessory catalog (PM me and I'll send you a copy if you don't have one), you'll see they make plastic fittings that bolt to the fairing to protect the plastic in a tipover. They're horrifyingly expensive, but I've had a bike knocked over when I wasn't there before, twice, and after seeing what fairing panels cost I figure it's cheap insurance amortizied over the life of the bike.
    pm sent

  11. #266
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    pensacola
    Posts
    52
    ordered a pair - they call them safety pads. Also ordered a couple of other enhancements. Will report when they arrive!

  12. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    ordered a pair - they call them safety pads. Also ordered a couple of other enhancements. Will report when they arrive!
    Let me know when yours show up! Mine were ordered in early Nov. and still waiting, the only accessory not to have arrived yet.

  13. #268
    What, me worry? GILLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Evansville, WI
    Posts
    1,918
    Got a call from my dealer today, he now has all 3 colors in stock. He has one coming which he has me in mind for, which will be a red one. I don't really have a strong attraction OR dislike for any of the colors, so thinking I will wait for the ordered one to come in, figuring the latest one built might have any early bugs worked out? I think the red is the most "interesting" color combo, the beige doesn't have a really strong color/2 tone contrast, the black is nice but no 2 tone at (all I don't think), which is fine if 2 tone isn't your thing. Trolling for opinions.
    Gilly
    Last edited by Gilly; 01-27-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

  14. #269
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by 43362 View Post
    As mentioned earlier I have 1000km or 600 miles on the scooter. Went out to wash the bike this morning and look at the rear drive. Oil is wicking out. I will be going to the dealer today to show them and see what they have to say. Warranty? This is in other locations throughout the seam. My 1958 bmw Isetta that has a chain rear drive in an oil bath does not wick oil that I restored 12 years ago.
    My GT was doing the same thing. No gasket, no kidding.
    It was possibly inproper torque on the bolts, they said.
    Also asked I keep an eye on it, you do the same eh?

  15. #270
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Got a call from my dealer today, he now has all 3 colors in stock. He has one coming which he has me in mind for, which will be a red one. I don't really have a strong attraction OR dislike for any of the colors, so thinking I will wait for the ordered one to come in, figuring the latest one built might have any early bugs worked out? I think the red is the most "interesting" color combo, the beige doesn't have a really strong color/2 tone contrast, the black is nice but no 2 tone at (all I don't think), which is fine if 2 tone isn't your thing. Trolling for opinions.
    Gilly
    IMHO, there's a reason they used the platinum bronze for the photos, but I'm biased. It does look extra "BMW-y" in this color I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    My GT was doing the same thing. No gasket, no kidding.
    It was possibly inproper torque on the bolts, they said.
    Also asked I keep an eye on it, you do the same eh?
    Mine's got a little bit as well, though so little that I'm not worried about a leakage rate, I'm going to have them look at it when I bring it back to have the drop protectors installed (hopefully they'll at long last be here in a another week or so).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •