Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: It's BMW Scooter Time!

Jeff Wilson life member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Oh and for those already riding one, what is your impression of the windshield? It has that "Euro" straight cut on top. It was pretty chilly when i rode on Saturday but seemed like it might be OK, or possibly a bit taller might help, and I am not that tall. I think it would be an excellent summer windshield but for this time or year might want a taller one.
    I am 5'6" tall and I find the windshield to be perfect at the peak height in look through the top inch so I lower it to look over by about an inch with no wind buffeting. If I get wind it is from the side wind.
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

I should have mentioned my Burgman is the 400 model. It is several years old and is a proven model without any problems. You're right about the resale though. I only paid $2400 for it with 3k miles on it. I took it for a 2000 mile trip and found it very comfortable. Each to their own.

I still drive my BMW R100 and am very happy with that.
    77 R75/7
    78 R100/7
    93 R100R
    95 MZ Tour

Thanks Jeff.

I found, what member 6659 noticed, that this is a fairly tall machine. I don't think I could come near to flat-footing both feet.
    Although I have always had the habit of just putting down my left foot and keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Of course the CVT and hand-operated rear brake would mean that there is no reason for me to keep doing this, but I think that this is what I'll keep doing. Pretty used to tal bikes after this long on BMWs.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Jeff Wilson life member
    Thanks Jeff.

I found, what member 6659 noticed, that this is a fairly tall machine. I don't think I could come near to flat-footing both feet.
    Although I have always had the habit of just putting down my left foot and keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Of course the CVT and hand-operated rear brake would mean that there is no reason for me to keep doing this, but I think that this is what I'll keep doing. Pretty used to tal bikes after this long on BMWs.
    I am flat foot on left foot or toes on both as you said, this is the way bmw does things. The Burgman is 1 inch shorter same thing about tip toes or flat foot

Still shorter than my old k75T
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6659 View Post
    I should have mentioned my Burgman is the 400 model. It is several years old and is a proven model without any problems. You're right about the resale though. I only paid $2400 for it with 3k miles on it. I took it for a 2000 mile trip and found it very comfortable. Each to their own.

I still drive my BMW R100 and am very happy with that.
    The resale is important if you buy new but the lack of resale is important if you buy used. I bought a like new 2008 Burgman 400 last Friday for $3200. It is exactly like the 2013 model other than it doesn't have ABS. They are a tried and true product that has proven to be very reliable and there is a fairly good accessory market independent of the manufacturer.

I find it interesting that I can change the gear ratio by changing the sliders in the CVT to a heavier or lighter weight at a cost of under $60 and it takes only a little while.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Talk about DIY maintenance on scooters makes me giggle.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

So can we have our own sub-forum . . . . . now?

Yes, PLEEEEZE???

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Talk about DIY maintenance on scooters makes me giggle.
    Why so?
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

This is not your F650 thumper with all due respect.
    This is a 647cc inline twin offset to 70 degrees. (Thanks Gilly!)
    That coupled with the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) . . . there are no shift points.
    It's quick and the takeup off the line is linear with throttle input as you would expect from a centrifugal driven CVT.
    With the engine and drivetrain so low the greatest percentage of mass is at or below your feet. Translates to great handling.
    Last edited by wezul; 10-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thought it was a parrallel twin not a boxer
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Yup, you are correct.
    Edited.

I'm sure just "adding a forum" is not as easy as it sounds. Mods have already commented on this. I'm sure in due time we will have a forum.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by 43362 View Post
    If we get our own forum there have been comments made whether they are negative or not needed how can this stop. Some members put the scooter down but yet have never ridden one or have any intention on owning one. The forum should be for all members for the benefit of the scooter owners or future owners. The forum should be used for technical help maybe with pictures (not of the scooter itself as we know what it looks like) but of the technical end of things or a modification you have made. Any other suggestions or comments on the topic.
    Like it or not, many of us long time BMW riders are getting to the age where we should be considering something with a lower seat and lower center of gravity that is easier to mount and ride. Riding a scooter is far better than getting injured, killed or quit riding. I think BMW has entered the Maxi-Scooter market to keep us old codgers in the fold and attract new owners. I think it's easier to admit to friends and relatives that you have a scooter if you can add that it is a BMW.

I always thought scooters were a less than serious ride and a joke until I tried to keep up with my friend who was riding a Suzuki Burman 650 on a crooked road. I was impressed and bought a used Burgman. If I like it, I might upgrade to a new or newer one.

I think a sub-forum would be a good thing to do and would draw a lot of interest.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I'm sure just "adding a forum" is not as easy as it sounds. Mods have already commented on this. I'm sure in due time we will have a forum.
    There are a number of issues going on with the forum at the moment. We're working very hard to get it back to running smoothly. Thanks to all for their patience.
    From my own experience, I think the scooters would be a lot of fun. Smaller, lighter and extremely maneuverable OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

It's not really a very low seat. I commented before as have one or two who are already owners that you really can't flat-foot on one of these. Probably taller riders can, but they can also flat-foot on most anything.

On getting on it easily, it will take practice. Since I have owned K bikes for quite a long time, I am used to getting on a bike on the centerstand, much like getting on a horse, left foot on left peg, standing up and swinging my right leg over.
    On this, the few times i have gotten on it takes a bit of thought as I am doing it, to start with the right leg, using muscles i don't normally use.
    "Step through" is a bit deceiving! More like "Fall Over"!
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606