Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! - Noise after oil change

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    Check the rubber iso-mounts at the front of the muffler. I've never ridden with them dmaged to know what it would sound like, but when I was disassembling my bikes to build one the first time, I found one of the mufflers had both iso-mounts torn in two and the mounting hardware was loose.
    rxcrider was right. On my homeward commute tonight, I picked up a Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter and a couple of liters for replacement. New filter didn't fix the noise, so further inspection found the rubber grommet (# 34321234629), holding the weight of the exhaust, working itself out of it's bracket. Apparently when new, it's held in by a circlip (# 07129934330), which is now missing. I reseated the grommet between the bracket and the exhaust holding arm. It was quiet around the block. Nice!

I'm going to order both pieces tomorrow.

yay

yay
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

As much as I'd like to take credit, I was actually thinking of the front iso-mounts that bolt to the tabs at the front of the cat section of the muffler body. I'll give myself a C for guessing the wrong end of the correct component. Glad you found it and that it is easy / cheap.

I don't think the clip you are ordering holds the rubber grommet in the block. I think it goes on the end of the hanger post to preven it from sliding out of the grommet. If the part you need doesn't come with the grommet, let me know. I should have a spare block and grommet kicking around.

Go back and educate your "mechanic".
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Delaware.Dave
    As much as I'd like to take credit, I was actually thinking of the front iso-mounts that bolt to the tabs at the front of the cat section of the muffler body. I'll give myself a C for guessing the wrong end of the correct component. Glad you found it and that it is easy / cheap.

I don't think the clip you are ordering holds the rubber grommet in the block. I think it goes on the end of the hanger post to preven it from sliding out of the grommet. If the part you need doesn't come with the grommet, let me know. I should have a spare block and grommet kicking around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Go back and educate your "mechanic".
    rxcrider, Thanks for the tip on the circlip, I was wondering how that all worked together. The circlip is missing, but the parts guy is sending one.

Acejones, Yeah, I plan to mention it to them, especially since this could have caused damage to a pretty expensive exhaust system. Since I used to be a service advisor (for cars) before, I also see how they missed an easy up-sell. If I knew one mount was bad, I would have had them change all three. Easy money lost.

I just looked at mine and I think it is just the form of the grommet (flanged ends) that holds it in position in the block.

Delaware.Dave
    I just looked at mine and I think it is just the form of the grommet (flanged ends) that holds it in position in the block.
    The old one on the bike has worn the flange off one end, allowing it to slide out of the holder. The microfiche shows a circlip also. I have on of those coming too.

Does anyone have a picture, or better intel on how that circlip fits on the exhaust hanger?
    Last edited by Delaware.Dave; 09-28-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Delaware.Dave
    As long as I had my camera out, I thought I'd share my five minute repair with you.

The rubber bushing in question is the rear exhaust mount:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Delaware.Dave
    With the mount removed, you can see the wear on one end of the rubber bushing. The bushing was working it's way through the mount, and would have fallen off soon.

Delaware.Dave
    Old vs. New

Delaware.Dave
    With the mount removed, it's now easy to see where the circlip fits. The first picture shows the hanging bar welded to the exhaust, the notch is easy to see. The second picture is the circlip, and the last shows the mount and circlip installed. The clip will fit on with the tab either way. If you know I have it reversed, tell me. It's easy to switch.

You have the clip mounted correctly. I had to replace my rubber grommet as well. The flange on the grommet gave out. Incidentally, spraying the grommet with WD-40 allows the muffler hanger to slide in with minimal fuss and it evaporates before attracting a lot of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware.Dave View Post
    rxcrider, Thanks for the tip on the circlip, I was wondering how that all worked together. The circlip is missing, but the parts guy is sending one.

Acejones, Yeah, I plan to mention it to them, especially since this could have caused damage to a pretty expensive exhaust system. Since I used to be a service advisor (for cars) before, I also see how they missed an easy up-sell. If I knew one mount was bad, I would have had them change all three. Easy money lost.
    Dave,
    I too, in a previous life (it was a long time ago) was a service mgr for a British Leyland dealer. Its amazing what passes for service advisors these days. Good luck with your fix.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by JHGilbert View Post
    You have the clip mounted correctly. I had to replace my rubber grommet as well. The flange on the grommet gave out. Incidentally, spraying the grommet with WD-40 allows the muffler hanger to slide in with minimal fuss and it evaporates before attracting a lot of dirt.
    I had silicone spray, worked great.