Thread: Help! - Noise after oil change

Hybrid View

Delaware.Dave

Unhappy Help! - Noise after oil change

I have a 1999 R1100RT with 20,000 miles. I've owned her for a year and a half. At times, the previous owner(s) had used both regular and synthetic oil. On this change, I used Castrol Power RS GPS 4T, 20w-50 semi-synth.

In the 400 miles since the oil change, I noticed a "chirping" kind of noise coming from the engine while under load (say, in third gear, 40 MPH, and roll on the throttle). I hear it also when riding over a bump and rough road. Everything else seems normal.

If I rev the engine at a stop, the noise occasionally happens at the higher rpms. I believe I may be hearing the noise both from the side of the engine and through the exhaust.

It doesn't sound like a "spun bearing" to me, but I can't identify the noise. Obviously, I don't want to damage anything, but the closest BMW dealership is 100 miles from my driveway.

Whatcha think? Any constructive advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware.Dave View Post
    I have a 1999 R1100RT with 20,000 miles. I've owned her for a year and a half. At times, the previous owner(s) had used both regular and synthetic oil. On this change, I used Castrol Power RS GPS 4T, 20w-50 semi-synth.

In the 400 miles since the oil change, I noticed a "chirping" kind of noise coming from the engine while under load (say, in third gear, 40 MPH, and roll on the throttle). I hear it also when riding over a bump and rough road. Everything else seems normal.

If I rev the engine at a stop, the noise occasionally happens at the higher rpms. I believe I may be hearing the noise both from the side of the engine and through the exhaust.

It doesn't sound like a "spun bearing" to me, but I can't identify the noise. Obviously, I don't want to damage anything, but the closest BMW dealership is 100 miles from my driveway.

Whatcha think? Any constructive advice would be appreciated. TIA.
    When you say "chirp," can you be more specific? Mechanical/non-mechanical sound?

The reason I ask is that an old or improperly-tensioned alternator belt can chirp when it slips on the pulleys.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    When you say "chirp," can you be more specific? Mechanical/non-mechanical sound?

The reason I ask is that an old or improperly-tensioned alternator belt can chirp when it slips on the pulleys.
    I know what you mean, mneblett. It's hard to describe in words, what you hear on the bike. The way I would characterize it is like a chirp of rubber. It's quick, not a long rubbing noise. It's not rhythmic, like a bearing, nor metallic, like a broken clamp or fairing.

It's linked to rpm rev, and can be most easily duplicated by selecting 3rd gear at about 40mph, and rolling on the throttle. That produces a series of chirps like I described. Strangely, it also is occasionally heard when riding over a bump.

I've wondered if it's the timing chain tensioner, since I suspect the sound coming from the left side of the engine. It will be original, as is the alternator belt. I tried to record the sound, but all I got was wind noise. I will say that this second time today I went out on the bike to identify the sound, the noise was less, and harder to reproduce.

Enjoy the ride!
    Could just be pinging. My bike '02 did the same (while using premium gas), then I installed a booster plug and it went away. My bike might have been running lean.

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisZ View Post
    Could just be pinging. My bike '02 did the same (while using premium gas), then I installed a booster plug and it went away. My bike might have been running lean.
    Nope, it's not pinging. I know that sound, and that wouldn't happen going over rough road anyway.

Just for laughs

Check your alternator belt condition. My 04 Adventure did it and I finally got tired of hoping it wasn't something really bad and asked the dealer about it and they were happy to replace the 6 year old belt. No more noise.