Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Didn't renew my AMA membership

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    That is one of the many reasons that I do not join the AARP.
    And why I dropped them. The AARP is simply a marketing operation. They endorse various products for a fee and their political positions are those that benefit the products that they are paid to endorse.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Years ago I was out walking a precinct for a candidate and in my monthly AMA magazine there was a voters guide, yup, an actual piece of paper, recommending who to vote for across the nation. On that list was my candidate's opponent. I wrote the AMA a scathing letter and cancelled my membership. I even received a letter back from the president of the AMA at the time but it was weasel words trying to claim the AMA had nothing to do with the voters guide. It was in their magazine, they are responsible. Period. I have never gone back and never will.

I see they haven't changed much. That does not surprise me. Their decades of mismanaging motorcycle racing in the US has done nothing to improve my opinon of them. More riders need to cancel their memberships and find something else. AMA is rotten to the core.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Me too!

Oh and I DO want to retire to the north but even more north than I am.
    That's a different country.........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I did not renew either. One of my primary reasons was their incessant lobbying against helmet laws.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some AMA recommendations according to the latest ON.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some AMA recommendations according to the latest ON.
    I can just see it......A group of ATGATT motorcyclists in a picket line demanding the end of helmet laws and noise limits. Perhaps they could burn a Rev-it jacket in effigy and do a ceremonial burial of the ashes in a new Schubert helmet that has been beaten with sledge hammers. Afterwards, all the event attendees can get matching tattoo's......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Years ago I was out walking a precinct for a candidate and in my monthly AMA magazine there was a voters guide, yup, an actual piece of paper, recommending who to vote for across the nation.
    Don't get me going on voter guides. Well in fact in fact really can't say anything except I think people should be required to get informed on the candidates and topics, and not rely on what someone else recommends. I've probably said too much.

And, thanks for letting them know your stance. I think it's important. Most people would just cancel their membership and not say anything.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I'm a lifer, have been for some time. But I do agree the AMA is "less" than it was in the past..JMO. I do believe in their fight against helmet laws & such, as I do believe it should be my choice. I wear a helmet, always, some gear, some times...my choice. I like a quiet motorcycle, and I'm not a chrome guy. Again my choice.

Do we really want to stop that? If you're a protection gear person?..by all means wear it. But don't force [me] too. Do we really want to see the inflatable rubber suit / wear-able air bag become mandatory ?...as is being promoted in some European countries. Just as seat-belts, do I really need a seat-belt, to drive 15-20MPH three blocks to the grocery store & back?? Don't we have enough big Gov, in our lives already?

One point made, that I do agree with. The AMA has become {IMO} way too much 'paid for' by corporations & way to greedy with it's members. But then it's not really a "club" any longer it became a business...long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I'm laughing after reading this thread since the MOA is proposing to adopt some of ex-AMA president Ed Youngblood's recommendations according to the latest ON.
    fixed.

Ed is also an MOA member... or at least has been in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    fixed.

Ed is also an MOA member... or at least has been in the past.
    {Personal opinion} I think the AMA was a whole lot better under Mr. Youngblood !!

John
    I always thought the AMA (American Music Association) was a great organizaiton? Is there a different AMA? (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Glendowery View Post
    ... instead of a right wing front group for the Republicans.
    What specifically are they doing that makes you think this? I'm not an AMA member, nor a Republican or Democrat, and I'm truly interested in what you are alluding to.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    {Personal opinion} I think the AMA was a whole lot better under Mr. Youngblood !!
    i'm going to leave my opinion out of this, but will observe that many opinion-leaders in the motorcyclist community were just as venomous toward the AMA and Ed himself during the whole Roger Edmondson/CCS litigation that led to Ed's resignation.

as a long-time member, it never ceases to amaze me how willing our community is to destroy itself.

as a marketing professional i am not able to identify the motivation for doing this.

ian

Interesting that a person can come on the forum and make one post, divulge nothing about himself and not respond to requests for clarification on his post; and, work folks up into quite a lather.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

i think it's because the AMA is a conflict and controversy magnet, part because of its own actions and part because of the characteristics of its market.