Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Bright Lights Lose Rights?

  1. #31
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    What "rights" are at risk?
    Similar to issues surrounding "excessive sound" (aka: noise) our rights to accessorize our bikes with suitable driving lights could be at risk.

    Due to excessive noise, there are now extensive restrictions on aftermarket exhausts in California.

    The same thing could happen with lights.

    (which leads to the great question: how long will it be before our passion is regulated out of existence?)

    Ian

    ps => thanks for all the excellent replies in this thread, sorry I haven't revisited here... been out riding!

  2. #32
    Registered User MOTOR31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Posts
    2,223
    You already have regulations regarding lights on motorcycles. As earlier noted more than one state limits the number of lights on bikes as well as cars for that matter. You have other limitations on how you can accessorize your bike. Put some red and or blue lights facing the front (especially flashing ones) and see what happens.

    As far as rights are concerned, you do not have a right to drive much less a right to put whatever you want on an motor vehicle operated on public roadways. You only have privileges, authorized by the state you are a resident of and generally recognized by the other states in the union.

    Personally I am very much in favor of noise limitations on bikes, cars and even trucks, big and small. Others may enjoy the sound of the exhaust and or stereo but there is absolutely no right to inflict it on others or to disturb the peace of others.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

  3. #33
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    As far as rights are concerned, you do not have a right to drive much less a right to put whatever you want on an motor vehicle operated on public roadways. You only have privileges, authorized by the state you are a resident of and generally recognized by the other states in the union.
    whatever....

    rather pedantic, methinks.

  4. #34
    Themason 42906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ridgecrest California
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Similar to issues surrounding "excessive sound" (aka: noise) our rights to accessorize our bikes with suitable driving lights could be at risk.

    Due to excessive noise, there are now extensive restrictions on aftermarket exhausts in California.

    The same thing could happen with lights.

    (which leads to the great question: how long will it be before our passion is regulated out of existence?)

    Ian

    ps => thanks for all the excellent replies in this thread, sorry I haven't revisited here... been out riding!
    What restrictions? You can buy anything you want for your bike in CA. There are no inspections.

    A dealer might not legally be permitted to make non-smog legal changes to a vehicle, though plenty do, but that is true all across the US due to Federal regulations. The tuner and software the Harley dealership sold me is "for closed course use only", snicker, but that didn't stop a local dyno shop from plugging it in, putting it on a dyno and re-mapping the excessively lean mixture the bike came with.

    A cop in some sensitive beachside cities might cite you for excessive noise based on the vehicle code. Huntington Beach and Laguna Beach are notorious for this. But, as far as what I can buy and hang on my bike, the sky is the limit. Everything out there is available here.

    Where do these stories come from?
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

  5. #35
    Themason 42906's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ridgecrest California
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    whatever....

    rather pedantic, methinks.
    "Full time RVer"

    I wonder how much noise his generator makes? Shouldn't RV drivers be required to have a special license to drive such a big, heavy vehicle? Maybe a commercial license? Hey, just asklng .....................
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

  6. #36
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,780
    I have auxiliary lights on a couple of my bikes. On two of them I have two sets of auxiliary lights for different purposes. I'll make two comments about auxiliary lights.

    1. Quality matters. You can get a set of H3 driving lights at most mart type stores or auto parts stores for very little money. They have plastic housings, crappy reflectors, and can spread glare all over. And you can get good housings, good reflectors and good light patterns for a bit more money. If you go high tech you can spend hundreds several times.

    2. Aim is everything. Know where you want the light to be and what beam pattern you want - buy the lights accordingly - and then aim them properly. Bad aiming of the lights probably accounts for more problems than lights that are too bright.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  7. #37
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,539
    I agree with your point about aim, but I've seen some massively bright units being abused. Even when they're pointed correctly, they're pretty bright... and when mis-aimed they're worse than a bubba-truck in your rearview.

    This is not to say that I want high quality and power lights outlawed. To Themason's point, while the reality may be that you can still get what you want, loud pipes caused those communities to crack down. The same could happen with lights if riders aren't considerate. At a minimum, it could be an excuse to pull you over.

    btw, Themason, you can add the 17-mile drive at Pebble Beach to your list, where there's an outright ban on all motorcycles. Ditto Big Canoe, a really nice development in the N. Georgia mountains.

    Ian

  8. #38
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,490

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    You already have regulations regarding lights on motorcycles. As earlier noted more than one state limits the number of lights on bikes as well as cars for that matter. You have other limitations on how you can accessorize your bike. Put some red and or blue lights facing the front (especially flashing ones) and see what happens.

    As far as rights are concerned, you do not have a right to drive much less a right to put whatever you want on an motor vehicle operated on public roadways. You only have privileges, authorized by the state you are a resident of and generally recognized by the other states in the union.

    Personally I am very much in favor of noise limitations on bikes, cars and even trucks, big and small. Others may enjoy the sound of the exhaust and or stereo but there is absolutely no right to inflict it on others or to disturb the peace of others.
    +1
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,281
    I just checked the KY MC manual & the vehicle regs which will get you a few laughs. E.G., you are supposed to honk your horn on a mtn road when visibility is below 200' such as a curve-that ought to win some friends! As to noise it is supposed to be at the minimum(hmm?) & smoke or other disturbances as well. Both are ala 1942. As to lights, a bike must have a HL with high/low beam & otherwise the sky is the limit except cannot have colored lts. such as cops or emergency vehicles.This means for KY we have to do what everybody else will allow as we can do anything that doesn't tick off the leo's.
    FWIW, aiming is important but I have often observed that in my 4x4 Tundra with low beams I am blinding the vehicle ahead as late model cars get hit hard by regular HL's. I run hotter but legal bulbs on my bike, shorter life but safer.

  10. #40
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,103
    From Larz Anderson Euro Bike Day yesterday. I think the butane torch he used to fire it up put out more light.

    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  11. #41
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,074
    You might be surprised about how much you can see with that old acetylene fueled lamp. It's all about relative brightness anyway. Back in 1915, or whenever that bike was built, there were far fewer other vehicles on the road so your "night vision" wasn't being wrecked every two or three minutes by the head lights of an oncoming vehicle ... and when you did encounter another vehicle it was, more than likely, another acetylene lamped machine. The other thing to consider is the speed these bikes were running on the road surfaces of the day.

    I'm trying to remember when I discovered, as a kid, that I could see more with my flashlight off, and when it was on.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    489
    I don't ride at night if possible but I feel that I need additional rear lights for rain or foggy conditions.

    Any suggestions for a 08RT?

    I don't know if it's legal but I use my emergency blinkers in the rain and fog
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  13. #43
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post

    I don't know if it's legal but I use my emergency blinkers in the rain and fog
    It wasn't in rain and fog, but i got pulled over for using my 4 ways in Montana.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #44
    Registered User MOTOR31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Themason View Post
    "Full time RVer"

    I wonder how much noise his generator makes? Shouldn't RV drivers be required to have a special license to drive such a big, heavy vehicle? Maybe a commercial license? Hey, just asklng .....................
    Generator, a Honda 2000. Rather small but fits our needs nicely. It has about 53 to 59 dB depending on load. Quiet enough to allow you to hold normal conversation at about 4 foot from it. Quieter than my R1150RT was actually. It gets rather little usage as I like to be on shore power and don't dry camp very much.

    As to licensing for operating an RV, several states do require specific license categories depending on size and or air brakes. Having been a commercial vehicle inspector as part of my other duties as a LEO I researched what was required in my state and comply with the applicable regulations. Your state has the license requirements available if you are so inclined to look them up. Just sayin, ya know. Not that is has a single thing to do with the original topic.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

  15. #45
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,780
    What kind of oil do you have to use in the Honda generator? Dino or Synthetic?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •