Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bright Lights Lose Rights?

Hybrid View

Bright Lights Lose Rights?

OK, I know we all frown on loud pipes, but I have to tell ya, these days some riders are going way over the top with auxiliary lighting.

I did a quick web search to see if I could find whether there are any laws specifying how bright these types of lights can be, and it's a huge mish-mash of regulations that vary across states.

Some people rationalize this as conspicuity. To me, this is really discourteous to other motorists... and could actually be unsafe because the lights are blinding others.

Do the assembled experts here have any additional knowledge?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I would say how much lighting you use, or do not use, depends on traffic and how well lit the road is. At night on a desert road in the Great Basin where traffic is nearly non-existent, but wildlife is abundant, an array of aircraft landing lights might be sufficient, but you wouldn't dare run that kind of lighting on an LA freeway.
    There is no hard and fast rule that can replace judgement.

I will admit there have been occasions in LA traffic that I wanted a light so bright and intense, that were I to shine it in the rear window of the microcephalic cretin who just cut me off that the interior of his or her car would literally glow and the hair on their head start to smolder. You know, one of those times when even a 100 watt high beam doesn't make a strong enough statement. Something like the Night Sun light carried on many big city police helicopters would do.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Themason View Post
    I would say how much lighting you use, or do not use, depends on traffic and how well lit the road is. At night on a desert road in the Great Basin where traffic is nearly non-existent, but wildlife is abundant, an array of aircraft landing lights might be sufficient, but you wouldn't dare run that kind of lighting on an LA freeway.
    There is no hard and fast rule that can replace judgement.

I will admit there have been occasions in LA traffic that I wanted a light so bright and intense, that were I to shine it in the rear window of the microcephalic cretin who just cut me off that the interior of his or her car would literally glow and the hair on their head start to smolder. You know, one of those times when even a 100 watt high beam doesn't make a strong enough statement. Something like the Night Sun light carried on many big city police helicopters would do.
    Night sun group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Night sun group buy?
    Ah, you know how I feel.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    It's the 55watt HID lights that are the real problem. People who install them should be arrested for assault. These are the new ones, not the older 35 watt versions that are quite common and what I'd consider to be reasonable illumination.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

too many critters in my neck of the woods

(eastern long island's north fork) to do much riding at night. you either hit them or they hit you.

got one of them deer whistles but i guess i put it on backwards. attracted them like ducks on a junebug.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    (eastern long island's north fork) to do much riding at night. you either hit them or they hit you.

got one of them deer whistles but i guess i put it on backwards. attracted them like ducks on a junebug.
    A really short distance hunting gun and some folks that would be careful about the hunting could be a solution. From what I've heard, in Germany you can sell the game to butcher shops and restaurants. For places like LI and CT that are over run with deer, that might be a creative solution.
    Last edited by 36654; 09-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post

You killed Bambi----I Hate You!

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

I'll avoid saying what I think about lights providing enough light to ride 100mph on the desert or fast in the woods with brights but I can say that here in E. KY mtns you don't have stopping distance even in the daytime for deer that pop up in/after a curve or come from the woods. We recently had a deer, same size as the pic shown here, that ran abruptly from roadside toward my PU truck in broad day light, then as I was well into ABS braking & had come to a stop, it leapt from a few feet short of my front bumper (actually seemed to have gone over the rt headlight) & over the bridge side to my right & down into the creek. It was an amazing leap & not a situ. that lighting had a thing to do with avoiding. I'll admit brights help but not a solution that gives one much liberty. We have roads in my area, that at night, you are nuts or have a death wish if you go fast because of deer presence. Many other states have the same situ..
    End of curmudgeonly , senior moment...

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I'll avoid saying what I think about lights providing enough light to ride 100mph on the desert or fast in the woods with brights but I can say that here in E. KY mtns you don't have stopping distance even in the daytime for deer that pop up in/after a curve or come from the woods. We recently had a deer, same size as the pic shown here, that ran abruptly from roadside toward my PU truck in broad day light, then as I was well into ABS braking & had come to a stop, it leapt from a few feet short of my front bumper (actually seemed to have gone over the rt headlight) & over the bridge side to my right & down into the creek. It was an amazing leap & not a situ. that lighting had a thing to do with avoiding. I'll admit brights help but not a solution that gives one much liberty. We have roads in my area, that at night, you are nuts or have a death wish if you go fast because of deer presence. Many other states have the same situ..
    End of curmudgeonly , senior moment...
    You barely feel a jackrabbit when you hit it. They aren't even worth swerving for. But I dial it back in places where deer or bear are around. The desert isn't one of those places. The nearest anything to where I live is over an hour away, and there is literally nothing between here and there but open, uninhabited desert.

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You killed Bambi----I Hate You!

Jack

Bambi...... Yum !!!
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

the most common regulation that i have seen is one that limits the number of lights that a motorcycle can have. typical is no more than 3 "headlights".
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I know some people don't care that there lights are bright... when i purchased some extra lights i found some that can be turned down to almost off. If have them full blast at night the cars start flashing their lights at me.
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    the most common regulation that i have seen is one that limits the number of lights that a motorcycle can have. typical is no more than 3 "headlights".
    The CLC has 4 headlights. When I hit the bright beams to get someones attention I know that I'm noticed. The Moto lights on my my front brake assemblies are set to illuminate objects in the road just in front of me and to some extent to each side. I will most likely use Sylvania Silver Star lamps when high or low beams need replacement.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

If you want to check the legality of your lights, start with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Specification (FMVSS) 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment. It includes requirements for maximum and minimum intensity of high and low beams, and also defines the minimum spacing between auxiliary lights and such things as turn signals.

State requirements vary, but 49 USC 30103 requires that state regulations must be identical to the federal standard (federal preemption). For example, FMVSS 108 authorizes headlight modulators on motorcycles. I know several motorcyclists with modulators who carry a copy of the federal standard to show to the cops if they are stopped for having the modulators on.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST