Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Short (Funny) Video on Heart Attacks-Please Watch!

Sorry about your heart attack Sherpa. I'm glad you got immediate care and it isn't worse! Just goes to show you that it can come as a total surprise!

Bob, I too am hoping that sending it on might save a life. I know I would be reacting exactly like the woman in the video. (Heard great things about the Salty Fog from Quinn. Maybe next year...)

yep! I just saw the video. Everybody thinks their life is just too busy to be bothered by a heart attack. IT HAPPENS! mine was over eight years ago and I was too busy to notice. First week on the new job as a boss, making sure everything was right with the world except myself. It was a minor one and caused by a blockage which was solved by a drug eluting stent but, I took no heeds to the warnings! My boss told me to go and see my doctor, my workers asked if I was OK, My doctor called the ambulance and before 5pm, I was scoped and stented. Within the week I was back to work. Now with meds and good monitoring by the docs, all looks perfect! Too bad age is starting to catch up with other parts of my body! We are no longer in an Ozzie and Harriet world for sure and in some ways, that is a good thing!

After being with my girl for 13 years we finally decided to tie the knot. I was thrilled until I found her dead at home. How sad, it took me 6 years to get on with my life after her loss. Take care of yourselves girls and don't blow off the slightest of signs. A simple appointment or er visit is a PIA but its really worth it!

When I first read the title,...I thought how can this be funny. So I watched it...and it actually was....but it does get the point across in a very serious way.

Very well done...Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting the video.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

So sorry for your loss Olsensan. I posted the video hoping to prevent that in the future. I know I can totally relate to the person in the video and really need to head that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpamayberry View Post
    I had one recently (a month ago, actually). No warning signs. Started my 26 mile bicycle trip, woke up later in the hospital. No memory of the bicycle trip, or of the day after. Short term memory returned the day after (I quit asking people why I was at the hospital every five minutes starting that day).

I'm 49, in fairly good health, the only stat that was off is that my good cholesterol was too low. Docs said exercise solves that. I replied "such as doing 26 mile bike rides?". Everything else was fine, BP, bad cholesterol levels, etc.

100% blockage in a minor artery triggered a genetic defect with the electrical center of the heart (ventricular fibrillation). They tell me I'm extremely lucky, ambulance arriving so quick, getting to the ER as fast as I did. Now I have a defib unit implanted in my chest for the rest of my life and no heart tissue damage.

Ironic thing is I had bronchitis in June and promised my GP that I would come back later for a full physical. That probably wouldn't have uncovered my blocked artery, but he may have found something (like the good cholesterol being too low).

Heart attacks, well, guess they can happen to anyone, regardless of BMI.
    The fact that you were healthy, in good shape, and got an ambulance quickly probably was a significant contributor to your survival.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I remember when the founder of a runners magazine had his heart attack and the large number of my work associates who used that as an example of why they should not exercise.
    I remember that as well, and I think you're referring to Jim Fixx, who wrote "The Complete Book of Running", and who died of a heart attack at 52, after a run. What was uncovered later (by Kenneth Cooper) was that Fixx was genetically predisposed to having a heart attack, having an enlarged heart, and earlier in his life he had been a heavy smoker, overweight, and was under stress from his job, and a divorce.

Thanks for posting, Holly. This just happened to a friend of mine, and I may send her the video.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

More on trans fats

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/he...ewanted=1&_r=0

"Partially hydrogenated oils are cheaper than saturated animal fats like butter, and for years were thought to be healthier. They are formed when liquid oil is treated with hydrogen gas and made solid. They became popular in fried and baked goods and in margarine. Crisco, originally marketed in the beginning of the 20th century, was the archetype, although it now contains no trans fat.

But over the years, scientific evidence has shown they are dangerous because they raise the levels of so-called bad cholesterol and can lower the levels of good cholesterol."

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver