Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: which one to buy?

Sounds like a good choice. Have a safe ride home and enjoy the bike!

Congrats. I bought a 2000 1100rt in June. My first BMW. I love it. Wife and i have logged about 3000 miles together and enjoyed them all... Ok, she doesn t like it when it rains. Other than that all is perfect.

Had the bike checked out by Big Twin in Boise, it got a clean bill of health other then the battery was so so, had them put in a new one. Took off from Boise about 4:00 pm, headed back home to Oregon, made 200 miles to Burns for the night. 25 degrees when I woke up this morning, waited till 10 am, it had warmed up to 52 degrees and hit the road. By the time I got to Bend it was time for some fun road that I knew- the Cascade Lakes Highway, one of the prettiest drives anywhere- Cascade mountains right on the side of the road and many beautiful lakes, nice pavement with lots of fast sweeping corners and no police today. One more side road off of highway 58 (which is also a nice drive) up to Waldo lake, one of the clearest lakes in the world, only a 25 mile extra on the trip home. When I pulled in the driveway odometer read 535 miles for the bikes first ride, a good way to start my new relationship.

Congrats on the new bike...sounds like a great one!

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

only concerns so far is; running straight down the road bike is quiet, as i bank into a corner either side, on or off thottle there is a humming noise, sounds like from the front of the bike but my hearing isn't great. Am suspisious of a front wheel bearing, but the noise is the same on either side and I can't feel any play in the wheel when up on the center stand. Any ideas? will tires side tread make a bit of noise? the front tire is almost new. Other concern is with the bike on the stand in gear there is about and inch of travel of rotating the wheel before all slack is taken up. The bike was inspected by Big Twin in Boise and nothing was mentioned amiss.

Cowboyatheart
    Hi Bruce. Congrats on the bike. Let's see a picture! Some smart techie will give you answers for your questions. That is not me
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bruce b View Post
    only concerns so far is; running straight down the road bike is quiet, as i bank into a corner either side, on or off thottle there is a humming noise, sounds like from the front of the bike but my hearing isn't great. Am suspisious of a front wheel bearing, but the noise is the same on either side and I can't feel any play in the wheel when up on the center stand. Any ideas? will tires side tread make a bit of noise? the front tire is almost new. Other concern is with the bike on the stand in gear there is about and inch of travel of rotating the wheel before all slack is taken up. The bike was inspected by Big Twin in Boise and nothing was mentioned amiss.
    I think you are hearing the front tire. I get the same noise aka humm when cornering. I believe the noise is channeled up thru the opening at the forks and bounces back off the windshield.
    Just my 2 c's
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Post the slack question in oilheads & you'll get some info

Congrats

Hiya Bruce....Congrats on the new ride. I also just picked up an R1150RT, 2 owners, 30K miles and in pristine shape. I could not be happier. And even with my small size, 5'6" 140lbs, it handles really well. It did take a bit of getting used to the brakes (ABS) cause they really work,,,,very well.
    But that will come as I gather more miles. Also I had forgotten that a big twin has a lot of decompression when you roll off the throttle, another thing I had to be aware of in the beginning.

I cannot comment on K bikes either as my first was an R90/6 '75 model. And decided to stay with the boxer engine. I still remember how I could, with relative ease, shave the valve covers to the point I had to replace one because I did manage to ware a hole in it. Now thats cornering.

Welcome....

Cheers

Bluenoser
    Front end noise sounds like tire noise. You'll find that it will sound different depending on the asphalt you are riding on as well as some tires are noisier than others.

My 2000 R1100R had about the same amount of slack in the drive line and that seemed to be normal, so I wouldn't worry about it.

What you have to watch for in these bikes is rear end play when you have your hands at 9 & 3 and again at 12 & 6. Push & pull with your hands on the tires in these two locations, any play is a problem. Just do a search and you'll find no end of rear end issue posts. Don't get too uptight about this issue, but it has happened on a few bikes.

Do include your pivot bearings as a maintenance item, and I would check them at around 25 K miles. There are options for them, but I still prefer the bearings and a pair costs under $ 100.00 if you have to replace them. Keep these torqued properly. By checking them at 25 K and then periodically thereafter, you get the chance to grease them and short cut any problems that are developing.

Great bike & enjoy it.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650