Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: This never ends well......

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Gee, nobody on this thread yet from Australia and their thoughts about kangaroos? Or in North America, bears?

My one serious thought on this subject is that you can ALMOST eliminate the possibility of collision with the larger creatures (with the exception of deer) if you only ride when there is full day light.
    Fuggedaboutit. Lots of mid afternoon deer strikes in my corner of NA. May have something to do with blue tongue disease, CWD or other overpopulation diseases, but there is no time of day safe from deer (white tail or mulies).

You might think that "natural selection" would lead to fewer deer jumping out in front or into vehicles. Those that do usually don't get another chance to breed - and I've certainly seen a lot of deer along roads that didn't exhibit this suicidal (and homicidal) instinct.

Who knows how animals think. We've had cats for some 40 years now at the same place with a fairly busy road fronting our place. A couple have been killed by cars. Of the three currently in residence, two for some reason have never been seen crossing the road. The old tom cat does it several times a day - and I have watched him amble across the road. Think he has figured out cars and bikes.

Or maybe he is just a cat with the extra lives the dead ones used up. About 5 years ago he had such a bad head infection (from a fight) that we actually dug his grave. Decided to give him another day before I put him out of his misery with a .22. He started to heal, so I put away the gun. And he is still with us.
    I have had deer turn around and run back into the woods. I have also seen deer look before crossing, and then wait for me to pass slowly.

My old tom cat, would look before crossing. lived outside for 18 years and made it to 21.5. He was smart. He was fighting another Tom cat once and when he had the upper hand, he ran that cat out in the road in front of a car. He stood there for several minutes, just looking at the carcass. I wonder what he thought. Then he turned and very slowly walked back to the house with his tail down. I thought it was kind of a sad walk, but who knows what goes on in a cats mind.

Rod

On a Ride
    Gee, nobody on this thread yet from Australia and their thoughts about kangaroos? Or in North America, bears?

My one serious thought on this subject is that you can ALMOST eliminate the possibility of collision with the larger creatures (with the exception of deer) if you only ride when there is full day light.

That is my choice. If you chose to ride from dusk to dawn, even with enhanced lighting, I believe you are greatly increasing your chances of a collision with a large animal. But of course it is your choice. We all get to chose our risks/rewards ratio.
    Well, not from OZ, but have ridden OZ, and every morning the main rural roads were littered with kangaroo carcasses from the night before. Evidence why "roo bars" covering the front of rural vehicles are a popular attachment. Was chatting with a truck driver with a massive roo bar covering the grill of his truck. I lamely asked if he has ever hit a kangaroo. Told me he "hates 'em" and that he has hit thousands.

In Colorado bears are not hit often, but it does happen. A school bus nearby hit one, and the bus didn't crash, but it was quite the disturbing event to the school kids on board.

There are watch for moose signs in Colorado, and they typically warn being alert at night.