Thread: Build a GSA1200 hack;

Hybrid View

Build a GSA1200 hack;

I've been wandering around this idea for years! Any GSA1200 owners with this convert around? I know of the Washington connect and builder there, even spoke to them quite a while back. Much to know, never owned a hack before. I have ridden a few, however and very novice at it. I understand the world changes dramatically, as a hack rider. Just about the whole m/c world is turned inside out, owning/riding one. I am just fascinated by'em however and would love to learn more from a GS/GSA kind a perpsective! I have the GSA1200 all paid up, owned by me and just have a fancy to learn more. I am a very seasoned, long term BMW guy with over 900000m under my arse. I still have the adventure offroad spirit alive and well in me, so a tough hack is the agenda. Randy

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Randy -- Over on ADVRider in the Hacks forum you'll find several examples of hacks based on the GSA: some Ural tubs, some DMCs, some by Claude Stanley, and my Hannigan which was heavily modified by Claude.

You'll also need a dog for ballast.

Pete (and Barley)
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 09-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

No dog required with an EZS or EML hack,but they do love to go. I don't know of a US importer of the EML and they do cost as much as your bike. Once you drive one you'll wonder why you ever owned others, i know I did.

1200GS Hack

Randy
    Jump over to the ADV site and check out the Hack forums.
    I wrote a short report with pictures. It's called springtime in Alaska

I installed the sidecar in May and have put on close to 3,000 miles so far with it quite a bit of it on dirt and gravel roads

Wife really enjoys riding now

Bob

Here's a few pictures I copied from the I-BMW.com gallery.

Last edited by Lee; 09-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Lee
    You have a great looking ride
    Here is a picture of my rig in May this year at Hatcher Pass in Alaska

Bob
    Last edited by bobpeek; 09-02-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a comment

GSA w/EZS

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I've been wandering around this idea for years! Any GSA1200 owners with this convert around? I know of the Washington connect and builder there, even spoke to them quite a while back. Much to know, never owned a hack before. I have ridden a few, however and very novice at it. I understand the world changes dramatically, as a hack rider. Just about the whole m/c world is turned inside out, owning/riding one. I am just fascinated by'em however and would love to learn more from a GS/GSA kind a perpsective! I have the GSA1200 all paid up, owned by me and just have a fancy to learn more. I am a very seasoned, long term BMW guy with over 900000m under my arse. I still have the adventure offroad spirit alive and well in me, so a tough hack is the agenda. Randy
    Had Jay at DMC build this for me a couple of years ago (he uses my rig for his BMWMOA magazine ads). Nothing but compliments for everyone involved and the rig is priceless!
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all:)

I have been absent from this post a while, sorry. Man, I love the sidecar phenom and all here have great input. No, I have not converted yet! My GSA1200 is still my favorite ride, still touring all about NAmerica. Broke my right kneecap a short while back and could not ride anything for a short restbit. Back now, much happiness. THIS sidecar thing EATS at me all the time, so I guess it must be in my future. I like the comraderie here in hack land. Ya'll seem to enjoy the life on 3 wheels. I find all my adventuring on dirt has me wishing for LESS falls from my GSA as I grow into my 60s. I still love the adventurism thing and my hack would have to be worthy of dirt byways. Thanks for all the support and info posting here. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"

Smile Randy what in the world did you do ?

How does a person break his kneecap??
    Here we are in March and I'm still riding. My hack has all season radials on the rear of the bike and car.

I just got through putting a Studded TKC on the front of the bike and it was like attaching it to a rail

My friend just came to visit me and just completed a winter ride from Whitehorse YT to Wasilla then up to Deadhorse Ak. and back to Wasilla.
    Are you riding that GSA single track.

You can always keep knobbies on a sidecar and your bike won't lay down on you.

Tardy, still riding:).

I still love sidecars and still ride my GSA1200. Nope, not converted yet, but stay in touch with Jay! Just back from Summer riding in Alaska on the GSA1200, all the way to Arctic Ocean and all of Alaska. 12000m rideabout everywhere North trip. Left Salem Rally for all this, talked with Jay(DMC) at rally and a few times on phone since. I'm a slow mover on this sidecar project, but its eating at my heart. I've just about asked all I can and have most answers I need to buy my rig, get r done. I will ride into Washington, get r built when I do it. I'm not going to build my own, just don't have the want to do it. I do enjoy service'in my own bikes all my life and some hack wrench learning will come forth. I'm gonna set all my early learning at riding this thing, not building it. Seems about 11/12grand sets me up with about all the latest features available, including them spending three days building it, as I sit nearby. My GSA just hit 109000m and it may be in for clutch work soon enough, although its still working perfectly fine. I probably should go get new clutch before hack added. Otherwise, I see no weak links on my GSA. My second (GSA)FD rebuild just happened also, post Alaska once home. I've learned to catch these FDs early enough, having had 4 of them built in my past/present BMWs. I do wonder how FDs hold up in sidecar life? I suspect no difference. All you ahead of me in this sidecar life, ride well, happy trails. I'm leaning very hard at joining you. Randy

Randy,

Saw this bike at the Wisconsin Dells Rally though the pic wasn't taken there.

csm1.JPG

DMC did it and the owner was ecstatic about the whole build process. He couldn't stop talking about how enjoyable the build process was.

I have to say he got more folks looking at his rig than all the other bikes combined.

It was both hell for stout and elegant at the same time. Lots of thought went into the design and construction.

No idea on the cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.