Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Manwohr 36 Tour

Manwohr 36 Tour

hello to all my fellow bmw riders. i am about to head out for the adventure of a lifetime on my r 1200 rt. i hope to create this blog to share my experiences on the road.
    Last edited by manwohr; 08-31-2012 at 03:45 PM.

for all of us who have talked about and dreamed about leaving the safe confines of what has crept up and become our everyday lives, i have come to the realization that there is more.

it has come time to refashion the "what if?" in my life, into the "why not?" i've gradually arrived at this change in attitude over the past several years as the primary caregiver for my loving parents. both were stricken with Alzheimer's decease and for anyone who has dealt with this type of situation, you can appreciate the introspection you go through of your own mortality. with this decease i am fully aware that my situation was no worse or no better than anybody else who has gone through it. i'm just saying, it really makes you think about the treasures you'll possess in your final hour.

my mom passed away december 27th, 2010, and my dad passed on memorial day, may 28, 2012.

he was sort of an athletic legend at the university of south carolina, particularly football, wearing the number 36; thus the 36 as part of this thread's title. he was inducted into their hall of fame in 1998. my dad and i shared the love of baseball especially, once having a catch at the "four corners". he would stand in colorado and toss the ball to me in new mexico, then utah to arizona, and so on. living in south florida, we went to superbowl II in 1967 without any tickets and managed to land a pair at face value, $12.50 each. and of course, we both shared a love of motorcycles. he was one of the first to own a 1969 honda cb 750!

so it is with all of this, and much more, that in a few days will pack my dad's ashes and head out across north america. i'll be leaving the secure safety bubble that i've created. i have faith that my dad will be watching over me.
    Last edited by manwohr; 09-04-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Ride for all of us who have lost our fathers recently and look forward to your writings.

Thumbs up Safe Travels

+1 on riding with memories of those who have passed before! And I've known what you have experienced! I too will be looking forward to your account of your travels.

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

Daja Vu

Small world. Our stories are very similar. My Mom passed a year ago in May and my Dad is currently living with my wife and I. In fact he is sitting next to me watching me write this post.
    What an amazing coincidence. You have earned this ride my friend. No one who has not been here cannot begin to appreciate the emotional roller coaster you have been on.
    My heart a spirit are with you, God Speed and be safe. I will be following your travels and hope we can keep in touch.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Thumbs up Welcome to the forum

Ride safe and keep us updated on your progress. If you make it down to Texas and need a place to rest, just let me know via this forum. I have covered places to camp or an air conditioned office on the property to crash in if you wish. Also, I have truck, trailer and tools if you don't quite make it here.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Please keep this post going throughout your journey, Ride safe and always look up and smile, I am sure both your Mom and Dad are along with you!

On the Road
    May God's peace be with you on this journey. Have a remarkable time !

planning to depart this thursday, sept. 6th with the first stop to visit my daughter in tallahassee.

i want to thank the you guys for the wonderful posts and well wishes. totally surprising and much appreciated.

before i go, i would like to send out a thumbs up to all the boys who congregate at Everglades Holiday Park on saturday and sunday mornings.

here's to mort, hersh, robert, coach dunn, andy, ken, mal and the rest of the gang. i'll be thinking of you guys often on the ride.

i'm pretty much packed and hoping for good weather not only on my route, but here while i'm away. no hurricanes please.

most importantly, i will miss my son, my daughter, my wife. i feel as though they understand my plight. their support has been simply amazing.

May we please have a hint about your route?

John
    Enjoy the adventure of your travels and let your internal compass guide you back to the great feeling of those warm hugs of your family on your safe return.
    Looking forward to hearing of your journey.
    John

tomorrow morning is the big day, departure day! my route will take me through tallahassee then to columbia, sc where i'm hoping the gamecocks will pay a fitting tribute to my late dad at saturday's home opener.

from there, heading west and picking up the blue ridge parkway north into virginia, maryland, pennsylvania, nj, ny, ct, ri, ma, nh, vt, maine, then into canada returning to the us in northern mi. my plans are vague at this point but i want to go through the badlands and head into the great northwest. then down the coast and maybe start heading east around san fran. across nevada, az, a little utah maybe and eventually arriving at the "four corners". into arkansas, mo, tn, "tail of the dragon", back through tallahassee and the home. after the badlands, it's totally up in the air. i'd like to do pikes peak and bonneville as well.

the whole country is fair game.

a big thanks to rsbeemer. when i get close we'll connect.

Good Riding! If you get close to Green Bay - give a shout or private msg, we've got a spare room!

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

Same here!!
    Ed Baker