Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which Way Do I Turn The Wheel WHen I Park?

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    ....... It smokes like a destroyer dodging a torpedo if you leave it on the side stand......
    I love that!
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer.
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit (on cragslist).

Talking

May I suggest, get yourself a centre stand, and hopefully your worries will go away.

Remember though, after installing or using a centre stand not to post which way to position wheel 'cause you know what will happen onto your thread ....

Will tell you how to strap your motorcycle so it does not fall

LOL. I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by 35675 View Post
    ... at the BMW Performance Center when I took a course in June, a big point was made to turn the wheel to the right. It was pointed out that this makes it easier to grab the handlebars when you mount...

Interesting the performance center folks go right. If there is a reach problem, simply turn the bars or do the "police mount" and get on over the right side. This actually works better for me on tall bikes.

Did the BMW folks say "Park" it that way, or "move the bars right before you mount". Having the bars fully right actually makes picking up a heavy bike much easier. I usually warn people to pick up slowly when doing this the first time because we have had people drop bikes to the right the first time they try it.

The simple mechanics of the situation is this:

If the bars are turned right and you are parked on the side stand, it is MUCH easier for the bike to roll off the stand to fall over to the left if someone bumps the bike from the rear. This actually can happen if the bike is idling without the rider on it. I have seen bikes walk themselves off the stand from vibration if the bars are fully right.

Harley figured this out a long time ago. Their side stand features a steel pin that locks it in place as you set the bike down so it cannot be rolled off the side stand if bumped from the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Distilled water or tap water for the steam?

What type of fuel should I use to heat the water?

And what grade and type of oil for the internal gears?
    You forgot about spline shaft lube...
    Last edited by ka5ysy; 09-01-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

kind of reminds me of another discussion...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

It depends on whether you're in a red State or a blue State when parking...
    - Joe ('11 DR650 & '11 R1200RT)

My Motorcycle Courier Adventures

My early K-100 and my old airhead have the fork locks on the left side of the steering head. You have to turn the bars all the way to the right to engage the fork lock. If you turn the fork to the left, the left fork leg blocks access to the fork lock.

Now with the V-Rod you can only lock the fork when it is turned to the left. Then again, Harley makes no provision for a center stand (and I have the nicks on my helmet to show for it, sigh, absolutely nothing stays put when you set it on the seat)

In general, if you see something done one way by the Harley crowd, do exactly the opposite and you will be ok. Just sayin' .....................
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Now that Labor Day is near, I'll have to get in the annual habit of changing the direction.

I wouldn't be caught dead parking my bike with the wheel pointing right after Labor Day.

Who would do such a thing???
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    OCD alert! OCD Alert Danger Will Robinson!

Thanks for that DB! It sure goes against my mental geometry, but I"ve been proven wrong! Yard stick was a good idea...where in the world do you get those anymore?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Ken,

I just went into the garage and put the bike on the sidestand. Using a yardstick on the ground: with the front forks turned left, the distance from the edge of the front contact patch to the edge of the side stand foot was 31 1/4". With the forks turned right, the distance was 29 1/2". That says to me that the stand/front wheel side of the support triangle is a bit wider with the forks turned left. I think (other things equal) that a wider support triangle is more stable than a narrower one.

Admittedly, I wasn't measuring to the center of the contact patch. But I don't think doing so would affect the result.
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

I 'heard' that parking with the bars turned all the way to the left will cause pre-mature wearing of the steering stops. I always leave 2-3 mm space between the fork clamps and the bumper stop when I park my bike.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    It ain't road crown that wears out the left side of the tires first, it is how we park!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    W O W 40 posts on which way to place your front tire parked. Has'nt anyone ever start out on a bicycle??
    Removed every sidestand on all my bicycles...lean it on something and be done
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

When I put my bars to the right I find it much easier to mount The bike and lifting off the side stand.

Seems pretty stable when parked that way, too.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Thanks LMO1131, Its been too many years since I've watched monty python, now I have a plan for a rainy monday here in Virginia.
    Whit Perry, 07' 1200RT
    "The simple things, the true things, the silent men who do things" - Robert Service