Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rocky Mtn Natl Park & Durango Train

The train both ways makes a fairly long day which is why some folks opt for the bus one way. You do not say where in Durango you are staying, but take time to stop in the Diamond Belle in the Historic Strater Hotel for a cold one.

I have a full day for the train. And the weather should (predictions) be ok.
    Today I rode thru' Rocky Mtn Natl Park. I have changed it's name to Rainy Mountain Natl Park, as that's all it was.
    And then snow and ice at 34 degrees on Berthoud Pass.
    Not a real fun day, but, as we all know, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.
    Next time I can hold out for another time and better weather, but the first time, well ...
    dc

Well I'm back in Los Angeles now. I must say riding the train back to Durango was the way to go.
    It did make for a full day, but the trip was definitely worth it. I think we got back at 6:30.
    But that was the idea, a train ride, not a bus ride.
    I do wish I would have packed my heated gloves and the controller for my heated vest. The vest was somewhat useless without the controller. And it was the hands that got super cold.
    dc

My girlfriend and I are trailering our RT to Fort Collins for a couple of days of riding, then onto Dolores, Colorado, to drop off my Norton Commando at Colorado Norton Works. We then plan on riding the Durango, Silverton area. Any additional advice on hotels, dining, riding, etc. would be appreciated.

As of now we are planning two days or so in the Ft. Collins area, load the bike backup on on the trailer, drive to Dolores, and then spend another couple of days in the Durango area. Open to all suggestions. We like staying in nicer hotels and eating at nicer restaurants, as long as it's a good value. We are planning on taking the train ride in Durango and riding the RMNP. That's the extent of our plans at this point.

We are thinking the best month to go would be August. Any comments?

Thanks much,

Chris
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

August is good, as is July.
    toss me a pn when you're getting close to heading out- if i'm around, i'd be happy to take you on some of the local roads.
    or, if you prefer no company, get Steve Farson's book. hell, get Steve's book regardless.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    ...get Steve's book regardless.
    +3!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    August is good, as is July.
    toss me a pn when you're getting close to heading out- if i'm around, i'd be happy to take you on some of the local roads.
    or, if you prefer no company, get Steve Farson's book. hell, get Steve's book regardless.
    Thanks for the offer, thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered from Amazon!
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100