Thread: Rocky Mtn Natl Park & Durango Train

Hybrid View

Rocky Mtn Natl Park & Durango Train

This month (September) I'm going to ride thru' Rocky Mtn park and then down to Durango to ride the train to Silverton and back.
    Is there anyone in those areas that might come out for a ride or a cup of coffee.
    I'll be in Georgetown the nights of the 24th and 25th. And Durango the nights of the 26th and 27th. Then over to Torrey for 2 nights.
    dc

Don't Miss . . .

Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgway, CO. The road north from Durango is dead straight and really, really ugly scenery, but you can just ignore that. . .

Seriously, one of the best hot springs around. All you need is your birthday suit and sunscreen.

Torrey, UT and Highway 12 are both treasures for riders. Torrey is very small, but is also perfectly attuned to riders -- excellent campground, and several fine motels and restaurants. VERY few Smokies in this part of Utah.

Hey, TRY to have some fun, eh?

Walking Eagle

Thanks Eag
    Last September I was over there, on the road north of Durango. Coming south from Ouray, I got behind a huge slow truck, with a bunch of cars and fast trucks behind me.
    And the truck in front just going slower and slower, as he went up the hill. I almost ended up stalling, and his trailer was taking up 1 1/2 lanes as he wound his way up the hill. Finally, I just passed, and luck of the Irish or whatever, no one was coming.
    I didn't see a car or truck behind me at all, all the rest of the way to Durango.
    I hope to see a few other riders in Torrey.
    dc

When in Durango,go to Carvers for coffee,bakery or beer. What a great place. I hope it's still open,with this economy.

Oscar's in Durango is a great breakfast place.

The DSRR is a neat ride, and hopefully in September it won't be as hot as it was for us in late June. I would choose to sit on the right side of the train heading to Silverton and the left side coming back to Durango, for the best views.
    Dan

Thanks Dan & rd.
    I'm looking over both places.
    dc