Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Earplugs/hearing protection

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    The Howard Leight's arrived. My narrow ear canals make insertion virtually impossible. I'm wondering if there's a method of lubricating the plugs to ease insertion?
    I have narrow ear canals as well. I use Laser Leight's. I roll them between my fingers until they are fully compressed along the entire length. As I am reaching over my head to grab my ear with one hand, I bring the ear plug up to my mouth with the other and wet the end of the plug with a bit of saliva. I am then able to insert the ear plug correctly.

One pocket of my riding jacket has six or eight earplugs that are in service at a time, I reach in and randomly select two. When they no longer compress properly or are visibly dirty, I throw them away. I have been using this method for many years with no issues that I am aware of.

I wear them all day, every day while riding, and often sleep with them in as well.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

I find it an important part of my procedure to have grimy hands that have just pumped gas or pulled on riding boots,etc. & then roll them while ensuring that they are a combo of ear wax tan/brown with a nice patina of grunge black and perhaps a Shrek green on one side and a Sesame Street purple or Big Bird Yellow on the other or even a baby blue thrown in.
    I lose them & have a gob of them in my tank bag & pockets too. It is vitally important to remember to roll & insert prior to putting on the gloves & that really ticks me off when I forget that in the ATGATT process!

Ed Kilner #176066
    I too sometimes just finish fitting helmet then gloves and realize I'm hearing too well...

Better than the one time I gassed with the BMW tank bag placed on the large fabric bag on the rear rack, and rode off. Couple of Kms later, looked down at tank, no bag, panic, stop, turned around - lucky, it was there! The feet on the tank bag must have kept it in place.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Morning Person
    I've found a solution for my narrow ear canals. Mack's silicone earplugs. They work, and I can use them with my ears, as they don't require guiding a rolled-up foam plug into a narrow canal. They're also for swimmers, but the website specifically addresses motorcycle riding as well. Only problem is they are a bit more expensive and each is only good for about 5 uses. I figure 3 six packs (pairs) will get me through 6 months of riding (cost for 3 packs - $18...cheap vesus lost hearing).

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    i have narrow ear canals as well. I use laser leight's. I roll them between my fingers until they are fully compressed along the entire length. As i am reaching over my head to grab my ear with one hand, i bring the ear plug up to my mouth with the other and wet the end of the plug with a bit of saliva. I am then able to insert the ear plug correctly.
    I wear them all day, every day while riding, and often sleep with them in as well.
    +1
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Morning Person
    Wore the Mack's silicone plugs on a ride today...really nice. Wind noise was dampened significantly and the result was less fatigue, and better riding.

ozonewanderer
    I just got these and they are great: http://earplugsonline.com/

Take one round plug and split it in half. Then roll the each half into soft balls. Insert into your ear for a perfect molded custom fit. They can be reused 20-30 times if you keep them clean.

I started with the $2.95 sample size first.

As beeswax is a component, I am lead to wonder how they pliable they might be during cold weather? Even beeswax gets hard in the winter so does the lanolin keep them soft beyond your body temperature contact?

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by ozonewanderer View Post
    I just got these and they are great: http://earplugsonline.com/

Take one round plug and split it in half. Then roll the each half into soft balls. Insert into your ear for a perfect molded custom fit. They can be reused 20-30 times if you keep them clean.

I started with the $2.95 sample size first.
    They look pretty good, but for me the lanolin content is a deal-killer...I'm highly allergic to it. Glad they work for you.

Here are the silicone ones I'm now using. Good question someone asked about pliability in the cold, but I think that can be dealt with by warming with your hands first.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details...s-6-pair-value
    Last edited by flyrider; 09-10-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added info

Went to sears in Fairbanks, audiology dept upstairs. They made custom ones for me. Pick your color, fit very well inside helmet , even got a free hearing test, walked out with them that day. Pretty inexpensive for the custom service.
    F650 GS 2007! F650GS 2011
    Team Pterodactyl
    Wester of HQ

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    They look pretty good, but for me the lanolin content is a deal-killer...I'm highly allergic to it. Glad they work for you.

Here are the silicone ones I'm now using. Good question someone asked about pliability in the cold, but I think that can be dealt with by warming with your hands first.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details...s-6-pair-value
    As to lanolin allergy that's interesting as when I worked in tire plant there were many! that used it as dermatologist prescription for skin problems via rubber & chem contact problems.

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    As to lanolin allergy that's interesting as when I worked in tire plant there were many! that used it as dermatologist prescription for skin problems via rubber & chem contact problems.
    I can only tell you that once my wife bought a skin lotion that had lanolin in it. It was a different version of the one we normally use (lubriderm). Unless you looked at the ingredients you would not know by the packaging that this one had lanolin in it...it looked like the one we normally used. So...long story short...I used it, and within hours the skin around my eyes swelled up so bad they were nearly closed. Miserable couple of days waiting for swelling to subside. Threw product out once the lanolin content was discovered...never again will I touch a lanolin product!

Quote Originally Posted by AKThumper View Post
    Went to sears in Fairbanks, audiology dept upstairs. They made custom ones for me. Pick your color, fit very well inside helmet , even got a free hearing test, walked out with them that day. Pretty inexpensive for the custom service.
    So what is inexpensive?
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail