Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Bit Of An Insult

Mercedes

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.

I bet we all wish we had bought a Mercedes Gull Wing back in the mid 50's for the list price of 6500 dollars, they are selling today on Barret and Jackson for over 200K, of course not many of you guys were around then.
    Gene T

I saw a honda nt700 yesterday with the bmw logo on the fairing but it was differant [strange] ! The blue was RED and BMW was HMC. Honda motor company Weird. On a black bike.

Wait until you start seeing RT's with inline 3 cyliner engines and Truimph badges on them.
    Last edited by sedanman; 08-28-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: fat fingers moving slightlly faster than fat brain
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Re: the Prius driver. . . who knows, maybe he was interested in something with better MPG than the his gas-guzzling Prius.

Of course many of us ride bikes that DONT get better mileage than the newest Prius, but he probably wouldnt know that.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Had a guy at a Subway recently ask me "why a BMW versus a Harley?"

Standing next to my high miles 94 R1100RS, I said, "well, its quicker, faster, more quiet, can carry more weight, handles better, rides better, brakes better, gets comparable mileage fuel wise, costs less to maintain, and I have not had reason to do anything internally to the engine in 170,000 miles."

He seemed to understand the rationale.
    I'm just curious. How many Harleys have you owned???
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by dwyandell View Post
    Re: the Prius driver. . . who knows, maybe he was interested in something with better MPG than the his gas-guzzling Prius.

Of course many of us ride bikes that DONT get better mileage than the newest Prius, but he probably wouldnt know that.
    My '08 Prius gets 36 mpg in town and 50+ on the highway, which is similar to my R90/6. Both are great vehicles.
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

I have 3 BMW motorcycles. 78 R80/7 85 K100RT 96 R1100RT an 85 BMW 318 and a 92 BMW 5 series Wagon.......When the wagon gets low on ANY fluid it let's you know about it........every 30 seconds or so.......constant pinging and a warning on the dash......It holds 6 quarts of oil.......The warning starts when it loses 1/2 quart. It has 240,000 miles on it......I'm hoping to get 500,000 on her.....Love the german machines.......Hence my email ......imabmwnut

IMO, you could do more to help the economy?

Quote Originally Posted by dwyandell View Post

I know full well, because I ride an '03 RT and a Prius. Believe me, the RT is the gas hog. I'm lucky if I see 45mpg highway out of the RT. Mid-50's is standard out of the Prius on the road, or higher.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Nickname: Droid
    To this question, "I'm just curious. How many Harleys have you owned??? "

Not a one, never owned a Harley, but I have ridden many of them, from Sportsters to Ultra Classics. My viewpoint is slanted certainly, but all my comments are based on what I have actually experienced, not conjecture.

A friend of mine in California has a Harley I'd like to own; a built up FXRS-EVO with the engine redone by a drag-boat engine builder. The bike starts easily, idles smooth right away, has great throttle response, sounds good out the Supertrapp without being obnoxious. But, it wallows in turns, has wooden feeling brakes. Those are things that could be upgraded.

Now, I have not ridden a recent FLH chassis since the big design changes. I do recall riding a FLHTC and an FLHTC-UC that both wallowed like an overloaded Buick at 45mph, the old flexy frame model. Just did not care for it at all. I rode a Sport Glide that, while I like the looks and engine, I was grinding so much metal with every turn it was ridiculous. Again, just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I have folks ask me if bmw is brittish motor works,I say no! ,my lights don't flicker.
    I've had that & out here in the wilds of rural Manitoba my 30 year old Airhead still gets the odd "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" or after they hear what year it is; "Does BMW still make motorcycles?" - Obviously it aint the ubiquitous bike of western Canada.

To me, the style of the R1200RT is similar to some of the Maxi Scooters...Lee
    Uh, oh.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    Considering the miserable reliability of modern Mercs, it's a valid question. I wouldn't own a modern Mercedes Benz if you gave it to me. Ditto all the current crop of German cars.

Anyone who has ever had a job that required them to use SAP knows you never let a German write software. Nein, is verbotten! BMW's CAN-Bus is testamony to this truism, but Mercedes and Audi likewise have horrible electrics, compounded by the utter lack of an oil dipstick in Mercedes Benz products. Too many toasted engines because the low oil light you are forced to rely on doesn't come on in time to save the engine and there is no way to really know if you are down half a liter, a full liter or maybe more without draining the oil and measuring how much comes out. Kludge.
    You're a bit behind the times.

All current Mercs have dipsticks. BMW cars don't I hear.

Yes, in the early 2000s Bosch had a little trouble with its product quality. This corresponded with the popularity of one Mr. Lopez, the procurement guru allegedly stolen from GM by VW. Squeeze the suppliers on price was the mantra.

Most of that stuff is worked out now and of course there are no bankrupt German manufacturers save perhaps soon Opel.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You're a bit behind the times.

All current Mercs have dipsticks. BMW cars don't I hear.

Yes, in the early 2000s Bosch had a little trouble with its product quality. This corresponded with the popularity of one Mr. Lopez, the procurement guru allegedly stolen from GM by VW. Squeeze the suppliers on price was the mantra.

Most of that stuff is worked out now and of course there are no bankrupt German manufacturers save perhaps soon Opel.
    Bosch had nothing to do with the Byteflight CAN-Bus BMW uses. It is a Motorola product, introduced in BMW cars circa 2004 but originally intended for light aircraft! What a scary thought that is (I am a former military pilot with some civil experience too). The newer FLEXRAY protocol, which was first introduced in a 2007 7-Series is a product of the FLEXRAY consortium, which includes Freescale Semiconductor, Bosch, NXP Semiconductors, BMW, Volkswagen, Daimler and GM. The problem with Byteflight is it is time triggered, each slave has a specific time on the protocol when it is supposed to communicate with the master computer (iDrive in most BMWs). It is 10mbps so the timing of communications is critical, and when any module misses it's time slot things shut down. Audi is just as bad this way. J1850 by comparison is 1mbps but all modules do not have to communicate on a time slot, only when there is data to transmit. It uses bit arbitration when too many modules try to communicate at once and exceed the limits of bandwidth on the bus.

So M-B learned their lesson and put a dipstick back in their cars? I know they bought a few engines for customers including some AMG V-8s. BMW only puts a dipstick in the M cars. Everyone else is assumed to be too stupid to know how to check their oil.

Sorry, you can have this crap.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

my harley soft tail is at least as reliable as my r12r

for long trips (like to dayton ohio from eastern long island), i generally prefer the hog mostly because of the dealer network.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750