Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trade an R for a K?

Great looking bike but I would only be intererested in a GT

Rally Rat
    Riding motorcycles to me is about passion which is why I've only owned twins (HD,Triumph, Ducati and now R1200RT). I feel twins evoke this passion that a 4 cyl doesn't so I'll most likely always have a twin of one sort or another. When I decided I wanted to be back on a touring bike after a brief hiatus I knew I didn't want HD again so I demo'd the R1200RT and it was all she wrote. My friends said I should demo the GT as well but I had no interest b/c it isn't a twin.

I'd say find out what your passionate about when it comes to riding and let that be a compass.

Quote Originally Posted by stokesrl View Post
    Why only a GT?
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Don't count out the K1200RS. I don't think the differences are that great, and it might be easier to find a used RS.... I think they sold more of them.

I completed a 1600 mile day on my K1200RS, and the bike performed flawlessly. My only complaint of that ride was the small gas tank and the need for a gas stop every couple hours. For long distance riding I would suggest a 2003 or newer for the electronic cruise control.
    Christopher Ross, Lubbock, Texas

2012 R1200GSA
    1974 R90S

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
    I completed a 1600 mile day on my K1200RS, and the bike performed flawlessly. My only complaint of that ride was the small gas tank and the need for a gas stop every couple hours. For long distance riding I would suggest a 2003 or newer for the electronic cruise control.
    A 1600 mile day? REALLY?? That's a no-stops 67mph average for a full 24 hour day. I'm impressed!
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    Why only a GT?
    Because its most like the rt- ie big tank, riding position and faring wind protection

I switched from a 2011 gs to a 2010 gt

I am very happy with the changed.
    I love the GT, is a great bike in all senses!
    Ride safe
    Damian

Thumbs up

I had an '05 RT. Traded it in '10 for a KGT. Although I liked the RT, I am very happy with th KGT. It weighs around 50 lb more, gets a bit less fuel economy, has a front seat that's no more comfortable (mine has a Sargent now - MUCH better) BUT it outhandles, outstops (no pump), is smoother, transmits fewer road irregularities, and has incredible acceleration even two up. When you unleash it, you better have a firm grip!!

You will not be disappointed!

After 4 boxers (all Gs model) I got a kGt2010 and after 3500 I never looked back. I loved the K, it is addicting!!

Only one way to not make the wrong decision

Don't sell the RT until after you get a GT. Then get rid of the one that doesn't suit you which may be tough. If I lived somewhere with flat straight roads, I would lean toward the GT because that is where the fun is on that bike. Twisting the throttle on big sweepers. Tight twisties, then the lightness and manueverability of the RT makes it more fun. GT is definitely heavier and slightly less comfortable for me (after a seat upgrade). They are both fun.
    You can adjust the RT valves in 15 minutes but have to do major surgery on the GT. The computer decides when the valves need to be adjusted on the GT. If you don't ride like a teenager, the GT mileage is comparable to the RT, maybe 3 mpg difference.

If you can't afford to overlap the two bikes, just google "cam chain tensioner" on the GT and you'll find plenty of reasons not to buy one if that is your tendency.

Do not get scared by the cam chain , because a few have some problems it does not mean all of them will have it.
    For fun the GT is superb there is not comparison with other bikes and just keep in mind GT: Sport Tourer, RT:Tourer.
    If lighter and slower is a plus for you, there is no need to spend $19K+ on a RT there other options out there which will the do the work well, just to name one:Moto Guzzi for instance is one of the trustable brands.-

My 02.

Safe Riding

Damian

Been an RT type of guy for a long time but recently I rode a friend's K1200GT. Really liked it. It's a different kind of ride.

But it was too much like my RT in function so a few weeks ago I purchased a slightly used 2008 K1200S. I'm keeping the RT for serious touring and using the KS for shorter fun rides.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

Makes sense.
    I use a K-RS for similar purpose.
    Also own a wedge GT and R1200RT that though different have the same function. FWIW, I prefer the R for longer tours.

I've been mulling around the notion of swaping for a k1200gt or k1300gt
    What did you end up doing?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I like the "feel" and lower-end torque of a twin, so most of my BMWs have been boxers;
    But I've also owned two bricks and ridden some friends' bikes for distances long enough to understand the differences.
    While my K100LT was one handling pig, all the rest handled just as easily - or easier - than my twins. We get to put our bikes through their paces around here, and I've surprised a few owners with what their bikes could do.
    It's all just personal preference, and a perhaps tough choice, just depends on whatcha want/need...